U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:16 AM

33,127 posts, read 26,942,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
Nederlander! That's the name I couldn't remember!

Memorial is so old, I had my dance recital there in second grade.
I had a dance performance there in 10th grade? Yes. 10th grade.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:55 PM

747 posts, read 1,489,233 times
We're somewhat biased in that we can walk to DPAC, but we never cared for the seating layout or sound in Memorial Auditorium. Haven't had a reason to go there in years (IIRC Swell Season concert?). Chandeliers are nice and all but I'm ulatimately there to see and hear a show not the back of someone's head or an echo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 PM

836 posts, read 1,487,590 times
The accoustics at Memorial are HORRIBLE. I saw Rent there and Joseph and the Amazing....and I could barely understand the words (I knew the shows)..I LOVE the DPAC - it's just a far superior production IMO.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM

117 posts, read 213,968 times
DPAC is awesome and closer to me. I've never been to Memorial as there shows aren't too appealing as DPAC.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 623 times
I have seen many shows at both DPAC and Raleigh Memorial over the years and unfortunately have had more than one bad experience at Raleigh Memorial - usually connected with poor sound/acoustics. As one example, I saw Evita there and either the sound guys boosted the sound too much, the acoustics were bad, or the actors just screamed their lines/songs; whatever it was despite good seats (pad top dollar for) my daughter and I missed about 50% of what was being said/sung - the show was pretty much lost on us (This was the 3rd time I've seen Evita over the years). DPAC also is notably better when it comes to stage craft and effects. DPAC is somewhat less deep that Raleigh (no seats far in the back like Raleigh - which I think is another advantage to DPAC). Will go to RM if I have to, but given the choice I'd definitely choose DPAC everytime.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:31 PM

328 posts, read 647,983 times
I have never been to Memorial, but I have been to DPAC several times. Last month I got to see "Dirty Dancing," and the staff were just great. I saw "Phantom of the Opera" last weekend and it was amazing. The long bathroom lines are not desirable, but they do move quickly. It is worth the higher prices for a good show, and I would not get a seat in the top balcony - I would rather stay home!

Old 10-26-2014, 05:34 PM

615 posts, read 1,307,430 times
I just saw A Chorus Line in raleigh and it was excellent, I've been to NYC many times on broadway and this production equaled any NYC production.....plus I got a front row seat last minute for only $25.00.

I agree about balcony seats at dpac......way too high up for good viewing,

Old 10-26-2014, 11:56 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,833,404 times
DPAC is so outrageously overpriced -and the balcony seating is just not worth the money. We made a conscious decision to try and support more local theater. I'd rather go to NYC for a show than spend another dollar at DPAC..

Old 10-29-2014, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,346 times
First time poster here... This is a topic that has affected me personally so forgive me if I sound like I am venting...

My family was subcontracted to do catering and concessions at Memorial Auditorium for about 3 years and just recently gave up the contract for personal reasons. You gain a completely different perspective when you truly see what is happening behind the scenes of an operation such as an entertainment venue. I have had personal interactions with many of the management staff and facilities staff there. That being said, I believe that DPAC is the better venue right now, hands down.

There are a couple of key reasons:
1. Poor management. DPAC almost shamelessly attempts to cater to all audiences. They have shows that attract people of all races, ages, and backgrounds. More to the point, they advertise extremely well. This is truly what sets them apart. Memorial auditorium does a very poor job, at best. The show line ups that they offer has no variety. It's sad really. And it mostly stems from upper management and politics. Basically, it always seemed as if they were trying to pull in the regulars that they knew they could make money off of instead of diversifying their portfolio. Problem with that is that people want new entertainment, not the same old stale stuff. That in turn affects the businesses that rely on the audiences that they bring. As those dwindle off... so does business.

2. The layout of Memorial is pretty outdated. The question that I got the most on every night was "Where is the bathroom?" Something good like this should be obvious.. and the current situation is that it is not. It is just a very awkward layout that doesn't lend itself to large crowds.

Raleigh had better step its game up or they are in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary