U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 08:27 AM

14 posts, read 20,708 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
like many on these forums, we are considering moving to this area and I have spent hours upon hours reading all this wonderful (but overwhelming) information on these boards.

I have two children and am very overwhelmed reading everything about the schools. We are just beginning our search and it's so early that the kids don't know anything. We are looking at CH, Cary, Raleigh and have only begun.

However, one thing I have been thinking about besides how hard a move will be for my kids, but also how they can continue doing the things they like to do to in order to make the transition easier. I am sure many of you can understand.

One of my children, the high school student, has been playing sports (baseball, track and football) and would be devastated if he wasn't able to continue. For example, our football team does not have cuts.
I know in larger cities (there is much more competition and less "roster spots" for kids). Is he good? Yes
Is he the best and going to play in college? No, but he loves playing and I would hate to take that away from him. I also feel it would help him socially with the transition.

Does anyone have any experience in how difficult it was to transition and how competitive it is for a newcomer to make the HS teams?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 AM

13 posts, read 23,771 times
From my experience with a HS daughter (a junior at the time), and a middle school son, it was not difficult at all once she decided to get involved. She ran track, and that may be different from the "big time" sports like football, baseball and or basketball, as far as acceptance and ease of joining. To me, this was a critical step in getting acclimated into the new school and forming some relationships and developing some great friendships. bets of luck to you and your family.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 AM

8,264 posts, read 21,813,705 times
I'm going to say the opposite and say there is a LOT of competition to get on certain teams: Soccer, football, baseball, swimming (might be more school dependent), volleyball etc. I don't know about track since I think they can have more kids on a track team than some of the other spots.
But it also depends on the school a litlte too.
I've also hear from local high schoool coaches that it's pretty easy to get on lacrosse teams.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM

189 posts, read 439,822 times
High school sports is quite competitive here, especially for Football, Basketball, Soccer etc.
Everyone has to try-out so you need not be concerned with being a Newcomer, as there is no advantage for locals. If the kids can make the cut, then they are in the team.
Of course, it also depends on the size of the school and how many sports are offered there.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,020,127 times
The competitiveness of making a team depends on the high school.

I am not sure I agree about getting a fair shot at try-outs. Some coaches have a pre-set idea of who will make the team and what may be required. If you are transitioning at a school year end/beginning, and are serious about try-outs for a fall sport, then you may want to have your child (and/or you) contact the coach(es) to find out what the summer/year round training is like. Often it is required or is highly recommended and may be student led (E.g., by the team captain). There may be a 'team camp' that is done over a trackout/summer/winter break that they all do together.

Another thing to think about is that athletes may be playing together already in an outside league and the school sport season is just an extension of a solid group already playing together. Track/Football may be different, but you do run into this with tennis, golf, soccer, field hockey, swimming, etc etc. The way you find that out is by asking to speak with parents of athletes who are already on the team -- get a couple names - and see if you can connect with any of them to find out the scoop at that particular school.

Another option is for your child's current coach to make a few phone calls on your son's behalf -- to reach out and say 'hey, i've got this solid player headed your way. We are sorry to lose him but he is such a solid player that you guys would be lucky to get him. What are some high-schools that might fit his type of play and/or what is the team's workout schedule like so he can get prepared for tryouts'. You might get more headway if coaches talk to other coaches than any of us chiming in or relying on your realtor to point you toward a school....

Old 10-17-2013, 12:27 PM

181 posts, read 326,564 times
Hi,
This question will mostly be answered dependent on which high school your son attends. Football and track in this area don't have a traditional cut line. The thing with those two sports will be playing time; So he may make the team but might not see the field if the school is loaded and his position(s). But that will be the case anywhere in the country.

Basketball teams usually carry between 13-16 and depends entirely on the coach's preferences and talent evaluation. All in all if your son can play (not talking collegiate ability) any decent coach will notice him in tryouts. Also, depending on when/if you move have your son reach out to the coach to see if there are summer drills, camps or AAU tryouts that he could do. Having a former coach call is good but if he makes contact that will show some initiative and desire on his part.

Best of luck!

Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 PM

14 posts, read 20,708 times
Thank you all so much for your input. It's so hard on kids to move, especially the older and more involved they are with activities and sports. I wish I could wave a wand and tell my son he'll still be able to play............

Once we figure things out, we do plan to touch base with the schools and coaches. We are certainly familiar with summer workouts.

It's always helpful to hear from others with advice. I promise to be back with many many questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary