Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 01:04 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times

Advertisements

I was busy reading a city data thread and got scared out of my wits by a large bird flying into our second story window. I just went down to check and it is still alive The bird is looking all over with its head but one little leg looks kind of twisted. Otherwise it looks fine. Birds kind of freak me out so I really don't want to pick the bird up and take it anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do about this poor injured bird? Worse of all my 5yo saw the whole event and the bird is lying where all my boys will be able to see it in its terrible suffering I have no clue what type of bird it is but it's the size of a dove but looks hawk like to me.

Last edited by Indigoblue; 11-19-2007 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 01:12 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
call animal control

Durham County Animal Control - Durham County Government : Home Page
2117 E Club Blvd, Durham - (919) 560-0630

I just saw on the news last night a hwak flew into a minivan and got wedged in the bumper. Animal Control came on the scene for that.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:20 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times
Call animal control but unless the bird poses a safety threat I doubt that they'll do anything about it.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 PM

Thank you for that link The bird problem was taken out of my hands however. As I was busy typing up my post my 5yo yelled, Mommy what is that big bird doing!! And my heart just sank, and there sitting in a little tree overlooking where the injured bird was, was our resident bird of prey. Which my realtor said was a peregrine falcon, but I think must be some type of hawk b/c it has a realy white chest and underbelly. I can't find it in my bird book though. So this massive bird is sitting there all creepily right outside our family room and my 5yo says, "mommy don't let him eat the little bird", which wasn't so little itself. So I rush out there and the hawk/falcon flies away to a nearby tree, but the smaller bird is gone. No signs of a bird feast having happened though (and you should have seen the carnage it left when it age a baby bunny this summer). So now I'm thinking maybe the hawk looking injured bird was actually a baby hawk/falcon and that huge one was mommy/daddy coming to oversee it flying away to safety. I hope that's what happened anyway. The huge hawk/falcon didn't have anything in its mouth and I had JUST been out there so I can't imagine it would have flown off with a meal then come back to hang out

Old 11-19-2007, 01:30 PM

351 posts, read 1,194,207 times
I've seen those huge falcon hawk birds around. We saw one recently and it totally explained the bunny head on our porch when we moved into our apartment. That was such a funny welcome to the area.

A little national geographic episode right in your own backyard.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:37 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
For future reference, you can take injured animals native to NC to the Piedmont Wildlife Center.

I found an animal! | Piedmont Wildlife Center (http://www.piedmontwildlifecenter.org/help - broken link)

Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 PM

Thank you that's good to know I hope that is the last injured animal I find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
For future reference, you can take injured animals native to NC to the Piedmont Wildlife Center.

I found an animal! | Piedmont Wildlife Center (http://www.piedmontwildlifecenter.org/help - broken link)

Old 11-19-2007, 03:19 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
We had an injured hawk land in our large fenced yard...we didn't know about this forum at the time, and didn't know who to call...so we started making phone calls to various places..one referral led to another and I eventually found someone on 401 who is licensed to take care of birds of prey. However, he wasn't able to pick up the bird right away, and I had to go meet a plane, and he wouldn't come over without me there even though I gave him permission and said I'd leave the gate unlocked, and pleaded... so, I went out there with a towel (like he told me to) and tried to corner the bird...poor thing was exhausted beyond description when he finally stopped trying to escape me. I covered him with the towel, picked him up gently, and placed him in a box that was lined with another towel. And of we went to the wildlife rescue. They told me a few days later that they thought he was going to make it. It was called a Cooper Hawk. Beautiful thing, but smaller than I would have expected. It appears these hawks dive for their prey, and frequently their wings hit things in the process. Crazy birds.
Felt good to be able to help him, tho. I appreciate that other link to the Piedmont Wildlife center - thanks.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:35 PM

324 posts, read 1,285,146 times
Sort of related and just as scary:

Today I was driving through GSK's campus and came over the hill as I saw a deer on the side flailing wildly with slow/stopped cars all around. Someone must have hit it but I didn't see how hard (speed limit is very low so hopefully not hard). Anyway my heart sank as it continued to struggle and flail. Then all of a sudden it seemed to get all four of its legs under it and took off. I hope it wasn't hurt to much...it seemed to be pouncing away just fine.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times
Deer are crazy like that. I once saw a fawn run right into the side of a car that it easily could have avoided. It was heart rending. I was so mad at that deer for being so stupid! The deer appeared to have broken one of its right front leg but ran off into the woods on the other three. I read later on the interwebs that deer will eventually heal on their own and that dealing with a broken leg is better than the trauma of being captured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary