U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 03:29 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Find the roots running up the side of the tree and cut them.
This won't work. It will just continue to grow. Kudzu is almost impossible to get rid of. Digging out the roots might slow it down somewhat but it spreads underground as well as over the surface so it is the devil to deal with.
I battled kudzu for 30+ years in Atlanta and I have had a lot of experience. The original plant was on my neighbors property but it crawled up the tree and down the tree and all around the town. The stuff has fuzzy stems and one of my kids was allergic to it. My neighbor refused to help with cost of labor or chemicals to eradicate the stuff.

This is the same neighbor whose grandchild was severely bitten by a young fox the grandmother tossed food to for months. Kid had to have rabies shots and lots of stitches. Also they had a grandchild who was allergic to kudzu and poison ivy growing with it and suffered terribly but they would not help remove the nuisance. I digress.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 03:57 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,827,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This won't work. It will just continue to grow. Kudzu is almost impossible to get rid of. Digging out the roots might slow it down somewhat but it spreads underground as well as over the surface so it is the devil to deal with.
I battled kudzu for 30+ years in Atlanta and I have had a lot of experience. The original plant was on my neighbors property but it crawled up the tree and down the tree and all around the town. The stuff has fuzzy stems and one of my kids was allergic to it. My neighbor refused to help with cost of labor or chemicals to eradicate the stuff.

This is the same neighbor whose grandchild was severely bitten by a young fox the grandmother tossed food to for months. Kid had to have rabies shots and lots of stitches. Also they had a grandchild who was allergic to kudzu and poison ivy growing with it and suffered terribly but they would not help remove the nuisance. I digress.....

Should've hired a pest company to come and spray the neighbors! The sound like real winners.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:04 PM

957 posts, read 1,255,406 times
Jen, you might need to do a little research and check your city ordinance about the neighbor's obligations. Have you asked them about trimming the tree? If they weren't willing to foot all of the bill, maybe they would split the cost with you- we have been able to resolve things with that tactic in the past.

As for the kudzu- that stuff is a BEAR to get rid of. We had it in Florida. I saw that a recent issue of Our State magazine had a feature article about it, so you might look there for suggestions. A VERY off-the-wall suggestion is to contact someone who uses kudzu( yes, there are businesses based on kudzu) and see if they might want to come harvest what is in your yard. Then you could set to work trying to eradicate it when they have cleared it.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:16 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,682,854 times
I've spent the last 4-5 years battling running bamboo spreading on my property that was planted by our neighbor. The only thing I've found that will eventually kill it is pellet salt but it takes a long time and many applications over time to become effective. Pellet salt changes the PH of the soil so the bamboo roots can not survive. I'm not sure if this approach will work with Kudzu, but running bamboo has a similar underground root structure. Unfortunately, you won't be able to grow much in and area treated with the pellet salt, but in my case it's a natural wooded area so that's not an issue for me.

I checked with city code enforcement and there is no ordinance against planting running bamboo and I would imagine it's the same for kudzu, so we're basically stuck to deal with the problem ourselves especially when the neighbors that created the problem are of no help. There's always civil court, but good luck with that.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:52 AM

957 posts, read 1,255,406 times
Jen,
were you asking about how to deal with the tree limbs or the kudzu?- or both? I know that we have lived places where the city had ordinances regarding overhanging tree limbs, but sometimes HOA's have jurisdiction over that and you may have recourse from that angle. From a "common sense" aspect, it seems that you should be able to remove any growth that is inside your property line without consulting the neighbor, but if you want them to pay for it, that will probably be a hard sell . You never know, convincing them that it would be good for the tree may make a difference

Starglow, we were inundated with running bamboo in our previous home and our best solution was to cut into the shoots and apply Roundup directly into the cuts, liberally. This killed the runners and the existing plants over time and wasn't so devastating to the surrounding soil; about 3 months was when we started to note actual change in the plants. Its amazing stuff- we found runners 2 feet underground that were probably 2" in diameter as far as 50' away from the stalks.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 PM

292 posts, read 252,891 times
Hot salt water. Boiling Hot. Several applications. Won't look like you've accomplished anything at first but come spring the kudzu will probably be dead. Now the tree, it might survive depending on it's root system. How tall is the tree?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 PM

6,964 posts, read 5,187,171 times
Salting the earth is a tactic dating back to the Punic Wars (it used to be a thing, part of vanquishing your foe, Salting the earth,) but keep in mind it is kind of a "nuclear" option for getting rid of plants...you very well will probably kill the kudzu, but also anything else in the area.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,682,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Salting the earth is a tactic dating back to the Punic Wars (it used to be a thing, part of vanquishing your foe, Salting the earth,) but keep in mind it is kind of a "nuclear" option for getting rid of plants...you very well will probably kill the kudzu, but also anything else in the area.
Well when the neighbor refuses to do anything to help remedy the problem you have to do what you have to do lest you want to spend a lifetime fighting a losing battle against a plant that never sleeps.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:41 PM

145 posts, read 136,697 times
Kudzu?

Take it from a SC native.

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary