U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:59 PM

7,709 posts, read 10,133,275 times

Advertisements

So, why do medical providers insist that you call back to confirm the appointment, when you have never missed one? I guess I need to possibly find an Eye Doctor.

My wife is sitting at a branch of a local association of Eye Care Doctors on a "standby" appointment, because when they called to confirm maybe 10 days ago, the message they left said they were calling to confirm the appointment for this day and time. They did not say to call back at all on the message, which I thought was strange, because I used to go to a different branch of this same group and they were always super insane about it. So, when she got there at the day and time agreed upon, they said they cancelled the apt because no one called back.

The previous place would have you fill out a card with the appointment time and date, that they would then mail to you the next year, and they would call and leave a message and pester the crap out of you until you called them back. Because of that, proximity to home and also because the general demeanor of everyone in that particular office was not great, I changed over to the same office my wife is at after she went there the first time last year. The people there were nicer, the office was smaller and I was much happier there. (although I liked the actual eye DR I saw, the business side of the office was messed up)

I do not wish to have to call you back for an appointment when you see me standing there with my phone in my hand, setting it in my calendar. If you insist on calling my land line number, which is on VOIP and we only keep so my wife can call into hours long conference calls on days she works from home, instead of the mobile I give you, there is little chance you will catch me. We check the messages maybe once a week, if that. My dentist has figured out some magical way to use this new fangled thing called text messaging. They text me a week or so out, I reply "C" and we are all good. Useful info delivered to ME and I back to them, all in about 30 seconds.

Plus, this same group makes you fill out a completely new form with the same information every single year. Saying they want to make sure the records are up to date. I tell them nothing has changed, and they insist on making me write it out. Here is an idea. How about printing it out like my regular Doctor and I will initial it for you.

So, are there any Eye places near Morrisville that respect their clients at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 05:42 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,541,695 times
Triad Optometric (Drs. Miller & Graves) at North Hills.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,795,006 times
Next time don't even give your land line number on any info sheets. That way they will only call your cell. I too dislike having to fill out the same info sheet every few months. UNC docs have a recorded message where you press 1 if you will be at the appointment, 2 if you won't, etc. They keep calling till somebody presses a number and always call 4 days in advance- in addition they mail out reminders. I'm sure docs lose valuable appointment time when patients don't show up for scheduled appointments.
Hope you find a doctor you are happy with.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:51 PM

33 posts, read 118,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, why do medical providers insist that you call back to confirm the appointment, when you have never missed one? I guess I need to possibly find an Eye Doctor.

So, are there any Eye places near Morrisville that respect their clients at all?
Cary Vision Care
Welcome to Cary Vision Care - Dr. Jeffery S. Stikeleather

Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Next time don't even give your land line number on any info sheets. That way they will only call your cell. I too dislike having to fill out the same info sheet every few months. UNC docs have a recorded message where you press 1 if you will be at the appointment, 2 if you won't, etc. They keep calling till somebody presses a number and always call 4 days in advance- in addition they mail out reminders. I'm sure docs lose valuable appointment time when patients don't show up for scheduled appointments.
Hope you find a doctor you are happy with.
I'm happy with the dentist I go to and my general practitioner. They both have a clue? And I'm fine with them doing these things if someone doesn't show up. Nut if you've been a customer for 8 plus years and don't miss appointments, why not lay off.

Or, step into the modern age and use a cell phone text system like my dentist.

And really the recent deal with my wife is just crazy. If you're going to play the phone tag game, you should probably make sure the person calling leaves a message that actually conveys that you want a call back. It's not like the entire purpose of a doctors office revolves around accurate communication or anything.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:36 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,590,867 times
I used to think these phone call reminders were annoying but now I see how much hassle they save me. It would drive me crazy to deal with a provider that doesn't have a system to confirm appointments.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:20 AM

31,694 posts, read 55,531,149 times
Both my doctors have an online system with email notification and confirmation.
It is pretty darn smooth.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I used to think these phone call reminders were annoying but now I see how much hassle they save me. It would drive me crazy to deal with a provider that doesn't have a system to confirm appointments.
Reminder is fine. Just don't make me call you back and definitely don't say it's a reminder if you're really wanting a call back.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:35 PM

120 posts, read 208,669 times
Seconding Cary Vision Care and Dr. Stikeleather. Schedule appts online, no hassle phone calls.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:28 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,494,360 times
How about Duke? They have an Eye Center. Anything serious, you are at the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary