U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:39 AM

3 posts, read 9,076 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for places to pick fruit, veggies, or pecans for free or inexpensively in Wake County or the surrounding counties... any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 12:58 PM

405 posts, read 500,707 times
Here's a good site for pick your own farms:

Where in North Carolina to find pick your own farms and orchards for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and canning & freezing instructions!

I've gone to several and have the jam to prove it!

Foraging for free generally requires permission from the land owner. I have arrangements for access to figs. My rent is several cases of fig jam. The owners don't care for fresh figs and aren't interested in making jam so it is win-win!

You may want to post on Craig's list. I'm sure there are gardeners who have surplus that they could use help harvesting.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,076 times
Default Thank You!

thank you! that is a win-win! I did post on Craigslist, I'm hoping to have a few people reply.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 PM

825 posts, read 1,620,392 times
November is apparently pecan picking month at Oak View County Park although they note that the crop of sparse this year... Calendar of Events

Old 11-13-2013, 09:28 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,381,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
November is apparently pecan picking month at Oak View County Park although they note that the crop of sparse this year... Calendar of Events
Several of the people I know who grow things in NC had very low yields this year. Peaches, pears, apples were all low. Didn't know about the pecans though.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM
WDJ

286 posts, read 688,164 times
We went to Oak View this past weekend, and the pecans were all bad this year. Most of the one we found had holes in the shell where grubs dug in. We were told by other people that last year was pretty good for picking, so maybe we'll give it a go next year.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:40 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,381,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDJ View Post
We went to Oak View this past weekend, and the pecans were all bad this year. Most of the one we found had holes in the shell where grubs dug in. We were told by other people that last year was pretty good for picking, so maybe we'll give it a go next year.
I think they're supposed to spray the ground around the female pecan tree the winter before to kill those grubs. I have some pecans but never have the time to spray and they almost always have holes in the shells.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 490 times
Please suggest pecan picking places in Metrolina (Queen City region). I found some bountiful trees on North Caldwell street near the new Charlotte light rail stations scheduled to open in early 2018. I hope to harvest some tasty nuts without getting in trouble with the law. After all the CMPD officers have a record number of murders to investigate in Crown Town in 2017. Do you agree?

Old 12-26-2017, 06:06 AM

2,093 posts, read 2,693,098 times
"where grubs dug in"....worms chew their way out, not in. They are deposited as eggs very early in the development of the nut.

The life of the Pecan Weevil

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-26-2017, 06:25 AM

7,964 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlam3 View Post
Please suggest pecan picking places in Metrolina (Queen City region). I found some bountiful trees on North Caldwell street near the new Charlotte light rail stations scheduled to open in early 2018. I hope to harvest some tasty nuts without getting in trouble with the law. After all the CMPD officers have a record number of murders to investigate in Crown Town in 2017. Do you agree?
You'll have better luck posting this question in the Charlotte forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary