U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:50 AM

2,043 posts, read 2,521,802 times

Advertisements

What is Amberly?

By "newer" we mean less than 20 years old. Beyond that you start having issues where things like the roof need to be replaced, and we'll be on a retiree budget, although I may work PT.

We're not set on a "planned" community - we just think they are kind of cool. Looked at one in Charleston area called Daniel Island - shops, grocery, fire station, schools, right in the development.

I don't understand - there aren't ANY developments in our price range where people who are 50+ with no kids live? How can that be? Someone else said they downsize after the kids are gone, so where do they go??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,857,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
What is Amberly?

By "newer" we mean less than 20 years old. Beyond that you start having issues where things like the roof need to be replaced, and we'll be on a retiree budget, although I may work PT.

We're not set on a "planned" community - we just think they are kind of cool. Looked at one in Charleston area called Daniel Island - shops, grocery, fire station, schools, right in the development.

I don't understand - there aren't ANY developments in our price range where people who are 50+ with no kids live? How can that be? Someone else said they downsize after the kids are gone, so where do they go??
Cary and Apex are areas with LOTS of kids. Unless you move to a 55 plus community, any other neighborhood is certain to have many children. So I don't think this area will meet your needs.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:53 AM

33,336 posts, read 27,132,995 times
Quote:
What is Amberly?

What did you not like about Charleston, then?

Amberly is a large development made up of various neighborhoods. One of those is a 55+ neighborhood called Carolina Preserve.

My inlaws live in Florida in the kind of neighborhood you are describing, though. They like it.

There's a new 55+ neighborhood being built in Cary (corner of Davis Drive and High House Rd) that is trying to have most everything within the community. There will be shops and such on all 4 corners of the intersection by the time it is finished (two sides of the intersection have been developed for quite a few years; the other two are new development).

Old 10-21-2013, 07:33 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,849,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Cary -- check out Oxxford Hunt.
Yep, that'd be my recommendation. Or any of the subdivisions in SW Cary, along Cary Parkway. Plenty of variety and modest price points. Close to shopping & amenities both in Cary & Apex.

I'm not sure where all this "all neighborhoods except 55+ are full of kids" is coming from. I live in Oxxford Hunt and we definitely have a mix. Some families bought here new in 1987-1988, and others have moved in since. We have younger families, middle age w/grown kids and senior citizens. Even one single person with no kids (me). I think in newer subdivisions (<10 years old) you'll have more young kids, but ages get more spread out in older ones. As other posters have said, the only way to guarantee no kids is a 55+ neighborhood.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 AM

2,849 posts, read 3,991,375 times
Honestly, as far as "vibe" goes, Cary and Apex may be the exact opposite of what you are looking for. Both are huge sprawling suburbs made up of mostly shopping malls and "modern-style" subdivisions (I might get in trouble if I said cookie-cutter). Neither really has much of a downtown at all - Apex does have a block and a half of a downtown which is very quaint, but I don't know anyone who would call it vibrant. Downton Cary does have big plans but it is going to be a long process. Apex and Cary do have ultra low crime, excellent schools, good hospitals and are "convenient to everything". Both excellent places to raise a family.

By NE/MA standards, you are not going to find a "vibrant city that feels like a town" in The Triangle. If you are set on The Triangle, then Chapel Hill/Carrboro come pretty close - I would definitely give them a second look, I really don't think crime is a huge problem in these towns.

Good luck, and FWIW, your ideal town sounds exactly what I will be looking for in retirment, so let us know what you choose!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:07 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,248,769 times
I can't help but think this poster is drawing huge generalizations about certain areas based on very isolated bits of information and extrapolating them as if they define entire towns.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 AM

15,823 posts, read 24,173,335 times
Quote:
There are, they just don't dominate. Keep in mind, also, that many people in their 50s (and even 60s these days) still have kids at home. I have friends in their 50s with middle schoolers, and I guess I'll be in that boat in ...ahem.... a few years. Certainly people in that age group will still have high schoolers still at home.

My neighborhood is a pretty good mix and houses are approaching the 20 year date but most peoples' lives still revolve, at least somewhat, around their kids'. I think that's what people are saying. And as the houses here turnover, they are selling to people with babies and toddlers. Not that you couldn't or wouldn't buy one, but it's just attractive to young families.

In addition to Oxxford Hunt, I'd look in the neighborhoods close to downtown Cary and Apex, although the homes might be a bit older than what you seek, they will be newer than what you're used to.

I don't think Amberly is what you're looking for at all. I think you'd feel pretty isolated and surrounded by families there.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:58 AM

965 posts, read 1,740,952 times
These are my personal opinions having lived in both cities and am very familiar with both still.
1) Unfair to compare Cary amenities vs Apex since Cary is much much larger. Also, because of this, depends on what part of Cary you are considering. Some are good, some are old.
2) Apex has a more small town feel yet it has all the shopping/dining you need. Beaver Creek is a big shopping center with all the major retailers/chains. Also Costco is coming to Apex. Only the second Costco in Wake County.
3) Apex has a better historic downtown that is more easily accessible wherever you live in Apex. They host many festivals that folks around the area come to.
4) Cary is more cookie cutter probably because the city council is very anal.
5) Both school systems are great.
6) Apex has quick access to Jordan Lake.
7) Apex was recently named top small city in the US I think.

Overall, I'd say Apex feels more like a small vibrant town with more of a community feel. Cary is so sprawled out. Keep in mind, both cities neighbor each other, so you can easily drive to one or the other.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 PM

2,043 posts, read 2,521,802 times
Thx. All helpful info.

We do NOT want to be in a 55+ development. We want to be in a community with a mix of ages. We realize there will be a lot of kids. But hoping there will be some 55+ people mixed in. Ah, where do the 55+ people live???

Meh, we still like the Charleston area, but MP prices are much higher than NC making it difficult to find something in our budget. 300K maybe will get you something small - but really you need 350K there now (in MP) to buy a single family. We are not interested in the other areas - James Island, West Ashley, etc. The other issue is the crime - gangs, armed robberies and such - that we just are not used to and would rather not live with. Also the humidity, although I know NC gets very hot - maybe not quite so humid. Still not crossed off the list though.

We are planning a visit so that we can see for ourselves. Alot has to do with "feel" that can't be explained. I know that. Just trying to get a sense if certain towns are worth seeing. Thx again.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:03 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,248,769 times
Quote:
Meh, we still like the Charleston area, but MP prices are much higher than NC making it difficult to find something in our budget. 300K maybe will get you something small - but really you need 350K there now (in MP) to buy a single family. We are not interested in the other areas - James Island, West Ashley, etc. The other issue is the crime - gangs, armed robberies and such - that we just are not used to and would rather not live with.
Are you kidding? I've got family in Mount Pleasant and other areas around Charleston. You seem (again) to take a few stories of some crime issues (primarily out of North Charleston) and tar a whole area with it. You seem to have such a distorted view of the areas you are considering, and tend to blow isolated issues way out of proportion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary