U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:00 AM

513 posts, read 546,849 times

Advertisements

I think Apex fits most of your criteria with the exception of not having a lot of kids running around. You can find plenty near downtown with your price range. I feel Apex is very safe, but I have seen quite a few posters recently saying the area around where I live is "sketchy", an area to avoid, and they feel unsafe there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:28 AM

2,849 posts, read 3,970,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Really??? I'm sorry, but with all due respect, how is stating fact "distorting" things, "tarring a whole area" and "blowing isolated issues way out of proportion"? These, unfortunately, are not "isolated" issues. They occur on a regular basis.

From the Mount Pleasant Police Dept -

10/2 - Armed Robbery on Wellstead
10/2 - B&E - Pawley Rd
10/3 - B&E - Johnnie Dodds Blvd
10/3 - B&E Cliffwood
10/4 - B&E Crab Creek Ln
10/5 - B&E Shelmore Dr.
10/6 - Burglary on Emerald Terrace
10/11 - Burglary on Oak Landing Rd
10/12 - B&E - Johnnie Dodds Blvd
10/17 - B&E - Johnnie Dodds Blvd
10/18 - Robbery on Six Mile Rd
10/19 - MV Theft on Belcourt Lane
10/20 - B&E on Fulford Court
10/21 - Robbery - Grove Manor Court

I'm sorry - perhaps I am very naive, or have lived in Mayberry my whole life. But I am not used to crime like this occurring on a regular basis, and am not comfortable with it.
You are very fortunate to live in a place where those things never happen (Why would you want to leave?!?) For the rest of us, random crime is a fact of life so we take sensible precautions and hope that nothing bad ever happens to us.

I can guarantee you, the kinds of crimes listed above, occur in Cary (and every other NC town) on a "regular basis" (although taking population into account, the crime rate is still very low). In fact, we just had a spate of armed robberies in Wake County, many of them in nicer areas. (They did eventually catch the guy). In a town of 140,000 people, these things are going to happen.

He is a sample for Cary from the last month, by no means is this a comprehensive list:

CROSSROADS BLVD ROBBERY - ARMED 10/07/2013
JAMISON WOODS LN ROBBERY - ARMED 10/11/2013
KAREN CT ASSAULT - AGGRAVATED 09/26/2013
HIGH HOUSE RD ASSAULT - AGGRAVATED 09/26/2013
CROSSROADS BLVD ASSAULT - SIMPLE - WITH SEXUAL MOTI 10/05/2013
N ACADEMY ST MV THEFT - AUTO 10/11/2013
CROSSROADS BLVD ROBBERY - COMMON LAW 10/07/2013
ARMOUR ST BURGLARY - FORCIBLE ENTRY 09/24/2013
CROSSROADS BLVD BURGLARY - NON-FORCED ENTRY 10/11/2013
REED ST BURGLARY - NON-FORCED ENTRY 10/11/2013
NC 55 HWY BURGLARY - FORCIBLE ENTRY 10/08/2013
HIGHLAND MANOR PL BURGLARY - NON-FORCED ENTRY 10/04/2013
WILLOW ST BURGLARY - FORCIBLE ENTRY 10/01/2013
BASS CT BURGLARY - FORCIBLE ENTRY 09/23/2013
HIGH HOUSE RD BURGLARY - NON-FORCED ENTRY 10/06/2013
HIGH HOUSE RD BURGLARY - NON-FORCED ENTRY 09/26/2013
HARVEST ROW CT SEX OFFENSES - CHILD MOLESTATION 10/02/2013
GILLESPIE CT SEX OFFENSES - CHILD MOLESTATION 09/22/2013
HIGH HOUSE RD WEAPONS - CARRYING A CONCEALING WEA 09/29/2013
MIDDLE CREEK PARK AV WEAPONS - CARRYING A CONCEALING WEA 09/24/2013
E CHATHAM ST DRUGS - DRUG VIOLATIONS (POSS./SELL 09/26/2013
W CHATHAM ST DRUGS - DRUG VIOLATIONS (POSS./SELL 09/22/2013
WALNUT ST DRUGS - DRUG VIOLATIONS (POSS./SELL 10/06/2013
WALNUT ST DRUGS - DRUG VIOLATIONS (POSS./SELL 09/25/2013
WALNUT ST DRUGS - DRUG VIOLATIONS (POSS./SELL 10/13/2013
WALNUT ST DRUGS - DRUG VIOLATIONS (POSS./SELL 10/02/2013
JAMES JACKSON AV DRUGS - DRUG VIOLATIONS (POSS./SELL 09/27/2013
NOTTINGHAM DR/KAREN CT DRUGS - DRUG VIOLATIONS (POSS./SELL 09/22/2013
SE MAYNARD RD VANDALISM - DAMAGE TO PROPERTY 09/27/2013
WALNUT ST VANDALISM - DAMAGE TO PROPERTY 10/13/2013

Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 AM

112 posts, read 127,500 times
As a recent visitor to the triangle on a house hunting mission (this past weekend!) - I have some things to add.....first we are early 50s looking for a warmer climate and as our daughter lives in Raleigh we settled on moving there. We already had been on several reconnaissance missions and had decided on either Cary, Apex or Wake Forest.

The first thing you need to realize is the area is very much first and foremost a "family" region. There are many, many, many 4 bedroom 2.5 bath two story homes for sale. Things that appeal to families but not so much empty nesters. There really are not a great deal of homes in the area that are geared to more of an active fifties lifestyle. It just has not evolved that way. Sure there are pockets of over 55 communities or first floor masters here and there but that is not the norm. With that said - you will find A) the market is hot and homes sell quickly if priced correctly, B) you are not going to have the selection you think you are going to have - the inventory just isn't there right now, and C) better start prioritizing your list of what is REALLY important because you are not going to find all of the things you want in Cary or Apex (or anywhere in the triangle). There is also not much (if anything) available in that pricepoint that is going to be in walking distance of downtown Apex. Sure there might be older homes somewhat close - but they would be in need of a lot of renovation (in my opinion). Of all of the downtown areas Apex is probably the most appealing - Cary does not have a real downtown in any sense of the word like what you are looking for. Wake Forest also has a cute downtown as well.

It is hard figuring all of this out I know as I am trying to do the same thing - good luck to you on your search!!!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,634,341 times
Quote:
meh - we love Hillsborough - it's adorable. A bit small, but adorable. And pretty close, as you say, to other things.

CH - yes, armed robbery frightens me. Why do you feel the need to bash people for their personal preferances?

If someone said they didn't want to live in an area with tons of traffic, and it was not a lot of traffic to you, because you came from a big metro area, but they came from some small town with one stoplight, would you disparage them for their perception of traffic?

Everyone has a right to their limits of what is too much - for THEM. That's not for you to decide nor to make fun of.

I don't know what it is, but people get their panties all in a bunch whenever crime is discussed. It is what it is. The facts are the facts, and everyone has a right to live how they want.

The reality is, random violent crime (i.e., armed robbieries, etc.) does NOT happen everywhere. I don't live with random armed robberies happening where I live, and I don't want to live with random armed robberies happening where I move, especially as we age. If other people are used to that, and want to, that's a personal - very personal - decision.

But, this is the NC board, and Cary and Apex in particular have extremely good crime ratings, especially for violent crime.

Voltige - burglary is unlawful entry to commit theft - with no person present. Robbery is when a person is present (say in the home, or in a store) and intimidation, fear, force or threat is used to take something. Armed robbery is the commission of a robbery using a weapon.
Unfortunately, as other posters have mentioned, violent crime happens in Cary and Apex. In fact, in the 6 years I've lived here, there have been at least three murders (two in Cary, one in Apex), and a gunman held up a bank for an afternoon in what is considered a "really nice" part of Cary.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:01 AM

545 posts, read 941,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
Unfortunately, as other posters have mentioned, violent crime happens in Cary and Apex. In fact, in the 6 years I've lived here, there have been at least three murders (two in Cary, one in Apex), and a gunman held up a bank for an afternoon in what is considered a "really nice" part of Cary.
I live here and I didn't know this. OP, is it possible that this sort of crime happens where you currently live and you are unaware of it?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 AM

513 posts, read 546,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liney59 View Post
As a recent visitor to the triangle on a house hunting mission (this past weekend!) - I have some things to add.....first we are early 50s looking for a warmer climate and as our daughter lives in Raleigh we settled on moving there. We already had been on several reconnaissance missions and had decided on either Cary, Apex or Wake Forest.

The first thing you need to realize is the area is very much first and foremost a "family" region. There are many, many, many 4 bedroom 2.5 bath two story homes for sale. Things that appeal to families but not so much empty nesters. There really are not a great deal of homes in the area that are geared to more of an active fifties lifestyle. It just has not evolved that way. Sure there are pockets of over 55 communities or first floor masters here and there but that is not the norm. With that said - you will find A) the market is hot and homes sell quickly if priced correctly, B) you are not going to have the selection you think you are going to have - the inventory just isn't there right now, and C) better start prioritizing your list of what is REALLY important because you are not going to find all of the things you want in Cary or Apex (or anywhere in the triangle). There is also not much (if anything) available in that pricepoint that is going to be in walking distance of downtown Apex. Sure there might be older homes somewhat close - but they would be in need of a lot of renovation (in my opinion). Of all of the downtown areas Apex is probably the most appealing - Cary does not have a real downtown in any sense of the word like what you are looking for. Wake Forest also has a cute downtown as well.

It is hard figuring all of this out I know as I am trying to do the same thing - good luck to you on your search!!!
You can find homes under 250k in walking distance to downtown Apex. My "walking distance" might be higher as a younger guy than people in their 50's, but my house is 0.9 miles (according to googlemaps) and was well below 250. There is a 1600 sq ft home 0.6 miles from downtown at 200 even. Looks like it does not need much renovation too, although you never know until you see the house in person

Old 10-22-2013, 10:17 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,500,426 times
Thanks all. We don't need to be able to walk to town, although would like to be close.

Does Apex have a 24 hr vet, or is the nearest in Cary?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,811,768 times
Quote:
Does Apex have a 24 hr vet, or is the nearest in Cary?
No 24 hour vet in Apex although it's not overly far to the two in Cary. Well, I guess it would depend on where in Apex you are living.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:43 PM

22 posts, read 32,225 times
We recently moved from Apex, and have been to Newburyport a few times in the last few months. Beautiful town! I agree w/ some pp's that you will not find anything similar to Newburyport in terms of quaintness in the Raleigh area. Cary and Apex, and most of Raleigh, are major urban sprawl. Have you looked at New Bern? Very cute downtown and near water, might be more similar to what you are used to.

My suggestion would be to look at downtown Cary or downtown Apex. Both have non-cookie cutter houses, I think you will find a more varied age demographic, but unfortunately the houses will be a bit older. Would you be willing to look at an older home, 1960's and 70's, if all the major things have been recently replaced and upgraded? Quite a few "older" homes had all the major mechanics replaced when we were looking a few years back. You could then walk to the downtown portions of town, but will still need to have transportation to get to grocery stores. Keep in mind that most developments in NC have HOA's and you will have monthly dues. Some are fairly nominal, some can go upwards of $100/month. You will want to keep in mind if you are on a limited income.

Apex and Cary have A LOT of young families. We lived on a street with 20-ish homes and only 1 house didn't have any kids living there. Out of the 300 or so homes in the 'hood most people I met had kids as well. I think that being realistic about the age demographics of the area is important, it really is saturated w/ young families. I hope you find what you are looking for, where ever you end up moving. Best of luck!

Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM

15,726 posts, read 23,957,202 times
Cary and Apex are rightnextdoortoeachother. If the 24 hour vet is in Cary, and not Apex, there's a chance that you will live closer to it in Apex than you might in some parts of Cary. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary