U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:01 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,535,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
No offense, but you need a new family tradition

You are aware that a guy was trampled to death in New York during Black Friday, right?
Did you skip the part where the OP said they don't get up at the crack of dawn or care about doorbusters? Or were you just ignoring it?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to go shopping together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 AM

45 posts, read 123,589 times
I seem to recall we went to Southpoint mid day last year and it was packed but not terrible. Just don't try and get parking near the entrance, go park out by Macy's, or Sears. We try and go for a bit in the afternoon, mostly just to see the crazy crowds.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:39 AM

107 posts, read 137,496 times
Sounds good, thanks everyone (except sickofnewyorkcity). As long as we can find a place to park, it's not a problem where it is, we just don't want to park on grass and/or drive around for 30 minutes.

@Mike, you say go around 11 AM - is that the down time in particular or are you saying we should be there by then and no later?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post
As long as we can find a place to park, it's not a problem where it is, we just don't want to park on grass and/or drive around for 30 minutes.
To be honest, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I find no shame in paying for valet parking. It makes the Christmas shopping experience FAR more tolerable.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:16 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,827,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
No offense, but you need a new family tradition

You are aware that a guy was trampled to death in New York during Black Friday, right?
Lower state NY people can suck at times. Not a direct comparison.

^--- is from NY.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:43 AM

219 posts, read 411,232 times
Yes. This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
To be honest, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I find no shame in paying for valet parking. It makes the Christmas shopping experience FAR more tolerable.
But that's if I absolutely must go out to a mall during the holiday season, and I try very hard not to. I don't really understand anyone's desire to get out there with the crazed hordes on Black Friday no matter where you live. Unless you're the first in line for a big TV or computer at Walmart, the crazy and the crowds aren't worth whatever deal I could score.

That said, I can't imagine it would be pleasant to be at ANY mall on Black Friday. Sure, Cary Towne Center will be the least crowded, but it's also a crappy mall for the most part. I really like Southpoint, but there won't be anyplace to park at midday, and you'll be shoulder to shoulder with pushing, shoving, deal-hungry peeps. Nothx. I'd rather stay home and hit the interwebs with my credit card.

Tangentially, why do folks think it is that Cary Towne Center has never been renovated, a la Waverly Place? Because I have the same thoughts about this sad little mall that I used to have when I went to the ghost town that was Waverly up until recently: This is Cary, with all this $$ floating around, how can this place be so decrepit and just limp along? All it has going for it is the Gap/Gapkids and maybe a few other stores. All the temporary storefronts and empty spaces freak me out.

I'm not a Cary resident but I work and live close by. I'm hoping the Dave & Buster's might revive Cary Towne Center and attract some better stores.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 PM

715 posts, read 1,252,694 times
If you're not interested in Black Friday door busters but just want to spend some time shopping with family consider Salem street in Apex. Some boutiques, antique shops and plenty of restaurants. Generally the weather is nice enough that time of year to go outside from shop to shop and it should be a more relaxing shopping experience.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mselainey View Post
That said, I can't imagine it would be pleasant to be at ANY mall on Black Friday. Sure, Cary Towne Center will be the least crowded, but it's also a crappy mall for the most part. I really like Southpoint, but there won't be anyplace to park at midday, and you'll be shoulder to shoulder with pushing, shoving, deal-hungry peeps. Nothx. I'd rather stay home and hit the interwebs with my credit card.
I've found that as long as I prepare myself with some extra patience and a happy attitude (and use the aforementioned valet), shopping on Black Friday (during the day) isn't horrible. By around 11:00, the crazies have worn themselves out early and gone home for the day, and a lot of people are in a decent mood from having the day off from work.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:23 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,660,678 times
Haven't done it myself, but I've heard that Cameron Village is much less crowded both on Black Friday and in the days leading up to Christmas. There's such a great range of shops there that you can pretty much find everything you need. But for my money, Accipiter beats 'em all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary