U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 02:25 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,487,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Gas is still cheap.

And energy standards in housing are significantly improved in the last 25 years.
Some items:
Sealing of penetrations.
House wrap.
Improved insulation standards.
Spray foam insulation.
Radiant barriers.
Sealed and conditioned crawlspaces.
Zoned HVAC units.

Homes are tighter, with higher U values.

The next real energy-efficiency gains to be realized will be in supply-chain for materials, reduction of landfill waste, and mixed-use development to reduce commute.
I don't think you can find many new houses with sealed conditioned crawl spaces. In fact just the opposite. They build them the same way with dirt floors, no insulation or vapor barrier. They have been wrapping houses in Tyvek since the 1980's and doing zoned heat/ac (heat pump).
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 PM

31,654 posts, read 55,431,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
I don't think you can find many new houses with sealed conditioned crawl spaces. They have been wrapping houses in Tyvek since the 1980's and doing zoned heat/ac (heat pump).
My neighborhood was built in 1993--1995. No Tyvek. I had to have it added when we tore off the Masonite to add vinyl.
Housewrap was not the code in the 1980's. It was fairly uncommon.
I built a home in PA in 1993 and had to convince the builder to use it, and had to pay extra. It was not common.

I should have said "dampered zoned HVAC." That is a more recent development.

I forgot to add the move to mostly single hung windows, since they are much less drafty than double hungs.
Waterboy added Low E glass. Big help with heat gain in particular.

Fiberglass batts go to R-13 for a 2x4 wall, vs. the R-11 of the 1980's.

Without question, energy design standards are significantly improved.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:55 PM

11,807 posts, read 27,483,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I would agree with selling now, vs. 2 years ago, but I think the question is "if house prices are on the rise, why would you sell now, rather than hold out a little longer?" I realize there is no right answer to this question, it depends on a lot of factors, and a little bit of luck, but I do think that it's prudent to question when someone says "NOW" is the time to sell. (And respectfully, because I do think you are one of the better contributors on this forum, I would say that your POV is a little biased by design. You benefit from people buying and selling homes, so there is a potential for conflict of interest. [respectfully])

For me, I just bought my house six months ago, and felt like I timed it PERFECTLY. That means that the seller sold at the near-bottom. So from my perspective, if it's a perfect time to buy, it may not be the perfect time to sell.
Of course I'm not suggesting that someone who isn't even thinking about selling to sell NOW. But...if someone is "on the fence" and wants to know if it is a good time to sell, from what I am seeing, I would say it is a good time to sell.

Yesterday I was contacted by a client who lives in another state. She had been to visit a few months ago and was considering moving here to be close to her daughter and son-in-law. She had decided to wait until next year.

Neighbor beside her put her house on the market and it sold with 4 offers! Agent was asking around the neighborhood to see if anyone was thinking about selling. My client decided she'd allow the other 3 buyers to view her home! And although she was thinking about WAITING to sell, she has now decided it is a great time for HER to sell! Make sense?

I understand what you are saying and in some ways you are correct. My job IS to help buyers and sellers.

But, I'm going on what I see and based on what I'm seeing, now is a good time to sell. And remember, not everyone on this forum is a seller or a buyer and not all of them are going to call ME so maybe it isn't so much a conflict of interest as just ME saying what I see, based on my experience?

I doubt ANYONE that wasn't thinking about selling is going to now sell because "I" suggested it!!!

Vicki

Vicki

Old 10-21-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Something's not quite working right with that ole micro-economic model. (Or maybe it is and there's just something masking what's really going on). Realtors are saying supply is not keeping up with demand, which should be driving prices up (which would increase supply and/or dampen demand to bring things into equilibrium). But that doesn't seem to be happening (much) according to the press.
Again, the media makes claims based on many areas. Real Estate is very local.

I listed a townhome a few months ago. When I looked at the comps, I realized that last year, those townhomes were selling for $148,000 and today, they are selling for $160,000.

How did it happen?

If townhome #1 was listed at $148,000 and sold in 3 days, the next agent would look at that comp and maybe list at $150,000 and if that sold quickly, next agent might list for $152,000.

And...while there were none available and still buyers out there, we listed a bit higher and because my client had re-painted and cleaned the carpets and the place looked like a model home, we sold in 5 days and got very close to full price!

Supply and Demand seems to working well in this area!

Vicki

Old 10-21-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
I believe that article - I think new home prices are rising quite dramatically in the past 6-12 months just based on my own observations (have been looking at the Holly Springs market for a couple years now). Hopefully resale values will follow suit.
Heritage raised their prices on all new homes a few months ago. I was surprised. Prices went up $5,000 to $10,000. And...they kept selling.

Vicki

Old 10-21-2013, 03:46 PM

525 posts, read 1,114,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Heritage raised their prices on all new homes a few months ago. I was surprised. Prices went up $5,000 to $10,000. And...they kept selling.

Vicki
I went to the townhomes in Pemberley and 55 James yesterday (just browsing) and their prices are higher now than they were even listed in the Parade book!

Old 10-21-2013, 05:23 PM

1,354 posts, read 1,684,678 times
Real Estate 101:

If you are selling your home, the value is not determined by how much you paid for it.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM

525 posts, read 1,114,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Real Estate 101:

If you are selling your home, the value is not determined by how much you paid for it.
I completely agree. However, what you paid for it does factor in to whether or not someone CAN sell it (maybe they are upside down)... or maybe the thought of not making any money off it makes it not worth it to go through the hassles of selling. Folks often need a certain amount for a down payment, closing costs, moving expenses, etc. on the next house...and if they can't get what they need...maybe it's worth it to just wait a while.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I went to the townhomes in Pemberley and 55 James yesterday (just browsing) and their prices are higher now than they were even listed in the Parade book!
Sometimes those builders get excited when they start selling so quickly and they raise their prices too fast. When business slows down a bit for them, they may have to offer more incentives. It really depends on what their goals are for selling that month and if they meet those goals.

Vicki

Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 PM

41 posts, read 53,686 times
Quote:
My wife and I really liked 55 James, but then we drove around and visited the adjacent neighborhood. The mobile homes are not very well taken care and imo make the whole area very undesirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary