U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 12:16 PM

405 posts, read 500,707 times

Advertisements

I've had savings and checking with them since 2007. I do much of my banking online. The virtual tellers don't bother me a bit. I was a teller many years ago and think this method increases safety for everyone. Plus the tellers stay healthier - you would not believe how nasty money can get!

I have had no problems what so ever. When I have needed to speak with a real person I've had very good experiences by phone and in person.

Coastal has been worlds better than the experience at my other bank PNC (use them largely for the safe deposit box) or several past banks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 12:31 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,682,236 times
I've been a CFCU member since 1995 with no major issues, but not perfect. Getting one of their Visa cards is like taking out a loan even though I got an email from them saying I was "pre-approved"....they made the process way more difficult than it has to be. You have to either do manual account transfers or mail a check to pay your credit card bill and you can't pre-schedule payments to be made on a certain date...and before anyone brings it up, I do not use their bill pay service.

Some of their security features will bite you. I had my ATM card confiscated by their ATM machine once because I hadn't used it for six months since I always went to the branch office for transactions...who knew that would happen? My son had his debit card unknowingly deactivated by CFCU after he used it twice at the same gas station too quickly because the gas pump he was at was not working properly and he had to switch to another pump...so they flagged him for that as being potential fraudulent activity.

I don't really like the new teller machines because they take away the human element of doing business with CFCU. But it does reduce their risk of being robbed and I've never had to wait in line to use the teller machines so I can't really complain much about that.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:49 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,697,700 times
Default how long

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I refinanced my mortgage with Coastal a few years ago. The refi process was long and painful and I'm sure it's only gotten worse with stricter credit requirements. I really disliked the virtual teller experience the few times I went into the branch. I find their online banking/bill pay cumbersome. So, I don't use them for any of my banking other than my mortgage.
Was it longer than their rate lock of 60days?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:41 PM

4,188 posts, read 9,811,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Was it longer than their rate lock of 60days?
Looking back through old emails, it took them 49 days to close on my refinance. I'm pretty sure I was originally told it would be less than 30 days. I had excellent credit, solid job history and was borrowing less than half the appraised value of my house. This was back in early 2010, and I think things may move even slower now.

Overall I just found their level of communication unacceptable. I had to keep asking for status and got slow responses back. When I commented to my closing attorney about how difficult the process had been, he agreed with me that they were challenging to work with.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:46 PM

4,188 posts, read 9,811,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Getting one of their Visa cards is like taking out a loan even though I got an email from them saying I was "pre-approved"....they made the process way more difficult than it has to be.
I tried to get one of their pre-approved credit cards before going on a trip. They wanted me to bring the signed application into a local branch so it could be processed. I'm pretty sure I need pay stubs too. Pre-approved, my derriere!

Old 10-21-2013, 02:16 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,682,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I tried to get one of their pre-approved credit cards before going on a trip. They wanted me to bring the signed application into a local branch so it could be processed. I'm pretty sure I need pay stubs too. Pre-approved, my derriere!
Yep....asking for pay stubs was ironic because we use direct deposit, so they already had access to the same information in our account records that they were asking us to provide. I was ready to tell them to keep their card since I really need it so they backed off and we just had to sign some papers. I only got theirs for the cash back bonus credit but apparently CFCU considers their credit card applications the same as taking out a personal loan. Had I known that up front I wouldn't have bothered with the application to begin with.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:25 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,660,378 times
Switched to Coastal from Wells Fargo a few years ago and never looked back. We've had no problems with them whatsoever. I rarely use the remote tellers; usually just visit the drive-thru ATM. I like the idea of keeping my money in the community rather than give it to a large soulless corporation that played a significant part in the mortgage scandal.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 PM
rfb

1,843 posts, read 5,007,571 times
I've used Coastal Federal Credit Union since I started to work for IBM. It is really convenient since they have a branch in the building in which I work, and they have relatively low fees. Otherwise, I can't really tell one bank from another.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,996,108 times
I switched to Coastal from Wells Fargo back in April. I have checking, savings, and money market accounts. The transition was easy and I have had zero issues. I like the 7/7/7 availability and think the virtual tellers are great and the wave of the future in banking (like it or not). It's not like you don't have access to 'real' banking people at the facility, you just don't physically interact with a teller. I have sat down with a banker on several occasions. I couldn't be happier with the credit union experience.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 PM

168 posts, read 283,760 times
Been with CFCU since 1998 and we are pretty satisfied. We do not have a mortgage or refi through them but we have done car loans, credit card with a ridiculously low rate, and several accounts. My husband likes dealing with the branch directly in IBM but I've had no issues with the other branches around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary