Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:36 PM

90 posts, read 304,816 times

Advertisements

I don't recall seeing any disclosure in the paperwork when we closed from Pulte Homes. I'll have to doublecheck. What's interesting is that folks pay a different premium depending on location. So for a private culdesac, I believe the builder likely made out pretty well with initial homeowners in the Cedar Grove ranches. Please understand I'm not trying to rub salt in the wound -- it just isn't right though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Have you noticed the BRICK sound barriers that are around the "inside the beltline" properties that back up to 440? The houses were mostly there before the highway. How do you suppose they got the BRICK sound barriers? Lots of complaining! Notice that most of the other sound barriers are concrete? I'd keep pushing for sound barriers of any type, as having a house that backs to highways does hurt your re sale values.

I used to tell my buyers to beware of any "woods" or undeveloped areas behind their homes. Who would think that now we have to keep checking to see what the possibilities are of moving roads?!! So frustrating!

Vicki

Old 03-17-2008, 08:50 AM

311 posts, read 887,508 times
If it's any consolation, the plans show berms and sound barriers along the route. The entire road plan is a HUGE .PDF document (about 70 pages, 65MBs) and shows details.

Here's a link to the DOT plans (see "Title+plans")
http://dotw-xfer01.dot.state.nc.us/d...C201737/Plans/

Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 AM

Jules, are those barriers shown on the Wakefield side or the Crenshaw side? I was downtown for Jury Duty monday and walked into the office of the Transportation Services Manager for Public Works. He told me that while Crenshaw is slated to get the barriers, Wakefield is not. This had already been confirmed by the resident engineer for Barnhill Contracting Company to me by phone last week. I've left a message for Wakefield Development and have yet to have a reply. Will c/b today if I can.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:53 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
The flow of traffic will be on 98 east/west and via Falls Of Neuse. At peak traffic hours AM/PM lots of traffic will flow up Falls of Neuse and enter onto the 98 Bypass. As I travel up Falls of Neuse today during the busy times (Drat!) I see 'ALL' the subdivisions that boarder Falls of Neuse on both sides from Rt540N that DO NOT have barriers. Falls Point is practically on Falls of Neuse. No barriers. Why would they put one in just for the Wakefield subdivision if all the others do not have one? Is there less noise the further south one travels? At some point in the near future 2010? Falls of Neuse will be 4 lanes to new Falls of Neuse, maybe they will put barriers in at that time for the rest of us.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:10 PM

DansDrive, I certainly do not think that Wakefield residents should get something other subdivisions do not get. I'm only speaking for where I live. Other folks should do the same for their neighborhood if they feel it's appropriate. I'm new enough to the area that I've only been on Falls of Neuse approx 30 times. I'm only pointing out that the builder did not disclose the possibility of the 98 bypass being approved west of Capitol -- at least not to us. We were unaware of such a proposal. Perhaps they did to the folks who have a lot right against where the demolition has taken place. To me, I think somewhere within Pulte and Wakefield Development should be on the hook to push DOT to put up sound barriers because when we bought our home they sold us on the premise that this was a closed off street that was private and surrounded by a gold course in the backyard, and woods at the top of the hill. Private and quiet. Because they didn't disclose that the woods was going to disappear I would expect they could limit the impact. Perhaps they should do the same for other subdivisions or neighborhoods as well. I can only talk to what I know was disclosed for our new neighborhood.

When you see that the subdivision right on the North side of this new extension will have barriers and the DOT and Transportation services tell you that the South side won't, it leads to some questions, and I'd rather ask and press them on it and let it go.

When I re-read your earlier comments, I wanted to add this: I don't have a negative opinion about the extension of 98. It very well may be long overdue and a positive impact on the area from a transportation-view. I'm disturbed by the lack of information provided by my builder, the development corporation and also the City, as the mayor was told (per meeting minutes posted on City of Raleigh website) that Wakefield residents continue to be informed of the plans and changes. If you don't receive the Wake Forest Gazette or News and Observer or read either of their sites online (or live in the area for a long time) I don't see how you would even know before the bulldozers came last week.

Last edited by born2run01; 03-19-2008 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: additional text

Old 03-25-2008, 02:21 PM

Well, only thing to report here is there has been a lot of noise from the construction this week.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
I'm only pointing out that the builder did not disclose the possibility of the 98 bypass being approved west of Capitol -- at least not to us. We were unaware of such a proposal.
Why would they disclose that information? Would it have made you, or others, reconsider the purchase? Of course!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 PM

Because legally they may be obligated to, when they are charging different premiums based on the lot (location to golf course, culdesac, privacy, backing up to woods, etc). If you paid a price to back up to woods which no longer exist and your home is next to a wide open area, soon to be a 4 lane road, then I believe there should have been disclosure legally.

At this point, my focus is the fact that there are no plans for sound barriers, and hopefully with some support from the neighbors we can bring this concern forward and see if Wakefield can push for a change to those plans, as Vicki stated earlier has worked in other locations.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
If I lived in that back section of Wakefield I think I'd be pushing harder for speed humps. As soon as they cut Cathedral Bell Rd. through to Old 98 it's going to become a major thoroughfare itself. I know I would probably use it often to get to Forest Pines Dr. which leads to the shopping center and will also soon lead to the new library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary