U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 11:10 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,481,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Anyway what will happen if I walk into a hospital without insurance today or next year? Can they turn me away?
No, the rest of us pay for all the freeloaders....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 03:33 PM

33,095 posts, read 26,919,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mselainey View Post
This is all so confusing and heartbreaking to read.

I'm fortunate that my employer-sponsored plan isn't getting much more expensive, and that our service level remains the same. I don't know how much longer that will be the case, though. If I had to endure what so many of you are, with all this researching and not coming up with many good or feasible options, monthly costs doubling and coverage staying the same or lessening, I seriously don't know what I would do. This is the most incredible debacle I have seen in the last 30 years. The cost is just crippling to the average family.

All I can say is I hope the turnout at the next national election is astounding. Will it become "the" event for which people start camping out in line the night before? I hope so.
Don't you mean local elections? I mean, NC would be in better shape if our GA hadn't opted out of expanded Medicaid. I have friends in states that took the Medicaid expansion and most of them (with the exception of those who can afford higher insurance) are going to be paying less next year.

Not that we are going to turn this into a political discussion, because this is the Triangle board.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:45 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,481,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Don't you mean local elections? I mean, NC would be in better shape if our GA hadn't opted out of expanded Medicaid. I have friends in states that took the Medicaid expansion and most of them (with the exception of those who can afford higher insurance) are going to be paying less next year.

Not that we are going to turn this into a political discussion, because this is the Triangle board.
Yes, this. Locally, and at the state level (which includes your local rep), we need to turn out. My opinion is the same as Meh. We are paying the price of our GA's bad choice (here and other reasons too). I'll rep you if they let me (not sure if I've spread it around enough yet...).

Old 11-02-2013, 05:19 PM

14,320 posts, read 17,531,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Bravo. You're my hero of the day.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 AM

86 posts, read 124,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
Are you saying BCBS will turn away a customer next July or September and tell them their coverage can't start for several more months? I know policies tend to renew on 1/1, but surely they start at different times.
Off exchange, you'll still be able to purchase a policy, but it's typically 30-45 days before it'll become effective.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan1 View Post
Off exchange, you'll still be able to purchase a policy, but it's typically 30-45 days before it'll become effective.
And you will not qualify for a subsidy since you have purchased off the exchange. (assuming you financially qualify for a subsidy in the first place.)

Old 11-03-2013, 03:13 PM

4,188 posts, read 9,819,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And you will not qualify for a subsidy since you have purchased off the exchange. (assuming you financially qualify for a subsidy in the first place.)
I'd guess that most people who qualify for subsidies will be buying plans. I know I would!

Old 11-04-2013, 04:45 PM

86 posts, read 124,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Correct - if you want and qualify for a subsidy, the only way is to purchase through the exchange, but of course, that's easier said than done.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:33 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,855,866 times
Does anyone know how being retired and living off savings affects the income amounts that qualify for a subsidy..

Old 11-22-2013, 10:57 PM

ObamaCare Calculator: Subsidies, Tax Credits, Cost Assistance

The subsidy is based on Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI), with a few additional twists.

For example, my husband is on Medicare (over 65). Therefore, the ACA does not directly affect his health insurance. He collects social security and we file a joint tax return. A portion of his SS is non taxable on our federal tax form 1040.

However, when I calculate 'my' income for a subsidy under ACA, I am required to ADD BACK his non taxable SS income. That amount put us over the income threshold and made me ineligible for a subsidy.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 11-22-2013 at 11:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary