Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 04:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
If Fresh Market had any imagination they would consider opening a new store in West Cary somewhere in Green Level / Okelly Chapel area. Currently in the area west of NC55 there must be 25,000 people served by ONE Harris Teeter, with no other commercial development until Parkside Commons opens in 2014. Why would they consider opening a store within easy reach of an existing store when there is a huge potential customer base waiting for Fresh Market or Whole Food Market? Maybe everyone from West Cary needs to send an email encouraging Fresh Market to consider investing there instead, maybe even taking space in Parkside Commons.
I am always amazed by the lack of shopping in West Cary.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
If Fresh Market had any imagination they would consider opening a new store in West Cary somewhere in Green Level / Okelly Chapel area. Currently in the area west of NC55 there must be 25,000 people served by ONE Harris Teeter, with no other commercial development until Parkside Commons opens in 2014. Why would they consider opening a store within easy reach of an existing store when there is a huge potential customer base waiting for Fresh Market or Whole Food Market? Maybe everyone from West Cary needs to send an email encouraging Fresh Market to consider investing there instead, maybe even taking space in Parkside Commons.
Cheap and easy build out in Hemlock Plaza compared to acquiring a site and new construction in West Cary.
IF this project is a Go, I bet the lease is VERY favorable to Fresh Market.

Really, Fresh Market is a local store. Who drives very far to go to Fresh Market?
If Hemlock Plaza is the same market as Cary Parkway, then West Cary is the same market as Cary Parkway. Same access and distances.
I am in the Cary Parkway Fresh Market a couple of times a week, but I would never consider driving from home to Hemlock Plaza for Fresh Market.

And there is ample housing in the area to support a store. I DO wonder about the proximity to competition with HT at Crescent Commons and Whole Foods at Waverly, but Fresh Market is not the same target market as either of those, methinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I DO wonder about the proximity to competition with HT at Crescent Commons and Whole Foods at Waverly, but Fresh Market is not the same target market as either of those, methinks.
I don't know (really, just guessing), but I would 'think' that FM and WF compete for the same customer base, and of all the big retail grocers that HT has the most shared market with those two (compared to Lowes, FL and Kroger, anyway...).

But especially Whole Foods and Fresh Market, I've always considered them to be very similar. Not identical by any means, but very similar, appealing to similar clientele.

Anyway, I mostly agree with your comments about market size. At first I thought it was already close to the Cary Pkwy store, but you're right, people are not going to drive very far on a regular basis to shop there.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Do you think it is some wishful guerilla politicking?

Similar to pols who give out their opponent's phone number, although in that case only in hopes of jamming their lines?

Who knows. Maybe the shopping center owner put the sign up?

Its just odd for anyone to do something like this as the stores spend lots of money on consultants to analyze data on where to locate (maybe now they will just put signs all over the county and whoever sends the most emails is where the store goes?

Usually, the shopping center management don't like word to get out as if it doesn't happen, like 9 out of 10 lease negotiations do, they look bad and most companies do not want their name out there until they announce so they specifically ban the shopping center people from publicizing it.

Also, now, other nearby shopping center leasing people know to call up Fresh Market's real estate department and pitch their centers.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:50 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Slightly off topic, but has anyone else heard a rumor about residents petitioning Whole Foods to open a store at the abandoned Lowes Foods at High House and Davis?

Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Slightly off topic, but has anyone else heard a rumor about residents petitioning Whole Foods to open a store at the abandoned Lowes Foods at High House and Davis?
Hmmm. I'd like that!
Whole Paycheck has the very best cookies!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:

They closed that? (Big hit for that shopping center, I'd assume.) Dang

Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Quote:
Hmmm. I'd like that!
Whole Paycheck has the very best cookies!
Agreed!

I do like WF, but don't see it as a "go out of your way" type place. If there was one close by, I would definitely shop there more often.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Agreed!

I do like WF, but don't see it as a "go out of your way" type place. If there was one close by, I would definitely shop there more often.
If they did put a WF where Lowes used to be, it would be a win for that plaza. And, I'd shop there, too.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:55 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
I think it'd be a pretty pointless petition - Whole Foods just signed another long lease at Waverly Place, and is dropping some big bucks on the renovation.

Whole Foods is definitely a "go out of my way" grocery store along with Trader Joe's. I shop at both at least weekly if not more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary