U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2013, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Apex, NC
2,936 posts, read 7,142,335 times
Reputation: 2366

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
True enough. If I wanted inexpensive tract, I'd just buy in West Cary.
My "tract" home that we paid $335k for is pretty solidly built, thank you very much. It's a shame we can't all plunk down $500k or more for a comparable custom built home, but we have to keep the classes intact after all.

Since when is a $335k home in the Raleigh/Durham area considered inexpensive and poor quality? We looked at comparable tract homes in West Cary and Morrisville, they all looked much worse than the ones in Bella Casa IMO and they all had much less privacy and smaller lots. Some of them even had vinyl siding and weren't energy star homes.

We work hard for our money and I'd rather save a good chunk of it and live in a nice home, rather than spend any extra $200k (which we could have) for essentially the same home, but have less money left to save for retirement and fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 AM
 
62 posts, read 105,769 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
My "tract" home that we paid $335k for is pretty solidly built, thank you very much. It's a shame we can't all plunk down $500k or more for a comparable custom built home, but we have to keep the classes intact after all.

Since when is a $335k home in the Raleigh/Durham area considered inexpensive and poor quality? We looked at comparable tract homes in West Cary and Morrisville, they all looked much worse than the ones in Bella Casa IMO and they all had much less privacy and smaller lots. Some of them even had vinyl siding and weren't energy star homes.

We work hard for our money and I'd rather save a good chunk of it and live in a nice home, rather than spend any extra $200k (which we could have) for essentially the same home, but have less money left to save for retirement and fun!

Exact reason why we are building in Apex. Our $400K home in Brighton Forest would be WAY more in Cary or Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM
 
27 posts, read 113,168 times
Reputation: 11
Wow! Lot of great comments. Very helpful. Any Apex folks in this discussion? --> For someone like me who's never seen the area before, what are those streets around Bella Casa like, in terms of traffic and noise? (i.e. Olive Chapel Rd, Apex Barbecue Rd, Evans Rd, Milano Ave). Also, looks on the map like Milano Ave was built recently and slated for a future extension - what's planned down that street? Any one knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
15,755 posts, read 24,005,969 times
Reputation: 11710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Dad View Post
Wow! Lot of great comments. Very helpful. Any Apex folks in this discussion? --> For someone like me who's never seen the area before, what are those streets around Bella Casa like, in terms of traffic and noise? (i.e. Olive Chapel Rd, Apex Barbecue Rd, Evans Rd, Milano Ave). Also, looks on the map like Milano Ave was built recently and slated for a future extension - what's planned down that street? Any one knows?
Ummm...did you see the posts where described them as feeling "far out there", not well lit at night, etc etc??? As another posted noted in another 10 years it will probably be pretty built up (for me, the overriding reason NOT to buy in area like that - I wanted to know exactly what I was getting into)....for right now it has a very pretty semi rural feel to it (in the daytime, for me, when I can see things!). It's not that it IS far out, as noted - just feels that way. It's practically around the corner from my sister but feels world's apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 PM
 
27 posts, read 113,168 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ummm...did you see the posts where described them as feeling "far out there", not well lit at night, etc etc??? As another posted noted in another 10 years it will probably be pretty built up (for me, the overriding reason NOT to buy in area like that - I wanted to know exactly what I was getting into)....for right now it has a very pretty semi rural feel to it (in the daytime, for me, when I can see things!). It's not that it IS far out, as noted - just feels that way. It's practically around the corner from my sister but feels world's apart.
Yea, this makes sense. Some people (including us) don't mind this and some people actually prefer that feel (no through traffic). From looking at the greater Raleigh map, looks like Apex will be as developed as Cary is in a few years, then off to further developments west of West Apex in the future. In northern California where we are, this cycle is in full force, where many communities have migrated to places like West Apex over time and some of the best communities here are at the very edge of the metro area (e.g. Los Gatos - ironically almost the exact population of Apex, though a much older place).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 01:56 PM
 
27 posts, read 113,168 times
Reputation: 11
Is toll highway 540 operational yet (northbound and southbound)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 02:22 PM
 
Location: My House
33,095 posts, read 26,911,655 times
Reputation: 24450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Sorry, but this is an ignorant statement that is based on fallacy. It's not finished, because they keep on buying more land (since there is a lot of it out here) and building more houses since everything has sold so fast. Yes the original section was done in 2006-07, but construction didn't really begin again until 2010 (across from Apex BBQ Rd.). Everything has sold quickly in here since 2010 and especially in the last year or two. A resale house (only resale to come up in the last 6 months) recently sold for $40-50k more than the same home brand new (since there were no more brand new homes to buy). There is no way homes here aren't selling as fast or faster than anywhere else in Western Wake.

We originally wanted to live in West Cary when we started looking last year, but looking at comparable properties there the lots and the layouts were not as good as what we found here. I'm actually closer to my job in Downtown Raleigh here, then I would have been in West Cary.
It's not as desirable as West Cary. It took awhile for the houses in the original sections to sell. And I'm sure some builders took losses. The economy has picked up since 2012, so I do not doubt it is selling faster now.

Eh. Just the truth. I am familiar enough with the custom area. I wasn't even referring to the extra tract housing sections.
__________________
When in doubt, check it out: FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 02:29 PM
 
Location: My House
33,095 posts, read 26,911,655 times
Reputation: 24450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
My "tract" home that we paid $335k for is pretty solidly built, thank you very much. It's a shame we can't all plunk down $500k or more for a comparable custom built home, but we have to keep the classes intact after all.

Since when is a $335k home in the Raleigh/Durham area considered inexpensive and poor quality? We looked at comparable tract homes in West Cary and Morrisville, they all looked much worse than the ones in Bella Casa IMO and they all had much less privacy and smaller lots. Some of them even had vinyl siding and weren't energy star homes.

We work hard for our money and I'd rather save a good chunk of it and live in a nice home, rather than spend any extra $200k (which we could have) for essentially the same home, but have less money left to save for retirement and fun!
Hey. If you like your house and you like Bella Casa, good for you.

I do consider 300k single-family housing to be relatively inexpensive. Not cheap. Just not expensive. That's me. I'm not judging anyone who chooses to live in a 300k home.

With real estate, it's all about location to me. I'd rather a smaller home in a good location than a larger one in a location that I do not find to be favorable. I work hard for my money, too. So does my husband.

I prefer not to be living off dark, country roads and/or having to take a tollway. We drive plug-in hybrids because we don't like using much gas if we can help it.

We all make the choices that work for us with our own money and situation in mind.
__________________
When in doubt, check it out: FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM
 
Location: My House
33,095 posts, read 26,911,655 times
Reputation: 24450
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ummm...did you see the posts where described them as feeling "far out there", not well lit at night, etc etc??? As another posted noted in another 10 years it will probably be pretty built up (for me, the overriding reason NOT to buy in area like that - I wanted to know exactly what I was getting into)....for right now it has a very pretty semi rural feel to it (in the daytime, for me, when I can see things!). It's not that it IS far out, as noted - just feels that way. It's practically around the corner from my sister but feels world's apart.
That's how I feel when I'm out there. I dunno. It just puts me off.

I also prefer knowing what I'm getting into. I don't want a house in what looks like a quiet area with trees and wildlife, then suddenly all the trees are ripped down and there's a highway running through my back yard.
__________________
When in doubt, check it out: FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 02:36 PM
 
Location: My House
33,095 posts, read 26,911,655 times
Reputation: 24450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Dad View Post
Is toll highway 540 operational yet (northbound and southbound)?
It goes as far as Holly Springs one way, and as far as Knightdale the other way.

The toll portion is only from RTP to Holly Springs.
__________________
When in doubt, check it out: FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top