U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:39 PM

27 posts, read 113,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
It goes as far as Holly Springs one way, and as far as Knightdale the other way.

The toll portion is only from RTP to Holly Springs.
Thanks, but is 540 open for business yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 02:43 PM

33,055 posts, read 26,861,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Dad View Post
Thanks, but is 540 open for business yet?
Yes. In the areas I indicated. From Knightdale to Holly Springs. The final loop, from HS back around to Knightdale (the southern loop) does not exist yet and the route is the subject of much contention at the moment.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Hey. If you like your house and you like Bella Casa, good for you.

I do consider 300k single-family housing to be relatively inexpensive. Not cheap. Just not expensive. That's me. I'm not judging anyone who chooses to live in a 300k home.

With real estate, it's all about location to me. I'd rather a smaller home in a good location than a larger one in a location that I do not find to be favorable. I work hard for my money, too. So does my husband.

I prefer not to be living off dark, country roads and/or having to take a tollway. We drive plug-in hybrids because we don't like using much gas if we can help it.

We all make the choices that work for us with our own money and situation in mind.
It makes sense. We're looking for something different: large pristine backyard with a giant playstructure and an oversized trampoline; surrounded by neighbors who have similar priorities. We tried the urban condo living for a while, then a small SF home for a while in a busy area, and now we're looking for a real shift to suburbia .. with the giant playstructure and the oversized trampoline included

Old 10-23-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
It makes sense. We're looking for something different: large pristine backyard with a giant playstructure and an oversized trampoline; surrounded by neighbors who have similar priorities. We tried the urban condo living for a while, then a small SF home for a while in a busy area, and now we're looking for a real shift to suburbia .. with the giant playstructure and the oversized trampoline included
Nah... I get what you're saying. There are plenty of people in my neighborhood here in Cary with large play structures and trampolines in their back yards... some even have pools.

This sort of thing is easy to find in Cary or in Apex... at a variety of prices. Depends on what is most important to you in regard to location, commute, etc.

Suburban. That's exactly what both towns really are. Cary is just more developed than Apex and generally closer to more major highways/the center of the Triangle area, etc. Generally speaking, of course. I'm sure there are those who could make an argument for getting to point X faster or what have you. You need to come see for yourself.

ETA: The larger the yard, the more grass you get to cut. And we all pretty much have HOAs here unless you want an older neighborhood. HOAs will make SURE you keep your lawn neat. Hehehe.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 PM

2,934 posts, read 7,134,695 times
Quote:
Hey. If you like your house and you like Bella Casa, good for you.

I do consider 300k single-family housing to be relatively inexpensive. Not cheap. Just not expensive. That's me. I'm not judging anyone who chooses to live in a 300k home.

With real estate, it's all about location to me. I'd rather a smaller home in a good location than a larger one in a location that I do not find to be favorable. I work hard for my money, too. So does my husband.

I prefer not to be living off dark, country roads and/or having to take a tollway. We drive plug-in hybrids because we don't like using much gas if we can help it.

We all make the choices that work for us with our own money and situation in mind.
Our home price was 170% of the Median sales price in Wake County (In Oct 2013), so if that's inexpensive (not saying I plunked down a million for it) then I think you have a different view than most people in this area would. I came from Northern Virginia, a $335k single family home is not even possible to buy there, so I realize $335k is not extremely expensive. However a $335k home in this area is a higher priced home, period!

Oh and BTW, I was driving home today using Olive Chapel Rd. from 55 and then making the left on Apex BBQ rd. and then a right on to Evans. All of those roads have street lights now. I didn't even realize that before since I don't have a problem driving at night. There are also lights in both of the new sections of the Apex Nature Park now, so the drive is not bad at all. Maybe it was different a few years ago when you all came out this way to look? Hwy. 64 which runs right next to Abbington is not lit for several miles until you get to almost Cary, so it's not like that neighborhood and its surroundings are well lit and Bella Casa isn't.

The homes we were looking at in West Cary were actually the same price point as the one we purchased in Bella Casa. The square footage and prices were the same, so by buying here it had nothing to do with Apex being a less desirable area, we thought this area actually looked more desirable since the neighborhood traffic around here is not as bad. Also, you don't need to use NC-540 to get to RTP from here either, it's just quicker if your commute is in the 7:30-8:30am time period. My wife gets to her job in RTP in under 25 minutes using 55 (no tolls). If you don't like Bella Casa that's fine, but please understand that multitudes of people think West Apex is just as desirable as West Cary.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Our home price was 170% of the Median sales price in Wake County (In Oct 2013), so if that's inexpensive (not saying I plunked down a million for it) then I think you have a different view than most people in this area would. I came from Northern Virginia, a $335k single family home is not even possible to buy there, so I realize $335k is not extremely expensive. However a $335k home in this area is a higher priced home, period!

Oh and BTW, I was driving home today using Olive Chapel Rd. from 55 and then making the left on Apex BBQ rd. and then a right on to Evans. All of those roads have street lights now. I didn't even realize that before since I don't have a problem driving at night. There are also lights in both of the new sections of the Apex Nature Park now, so the drive is not bad at all. Maybe it was different a few years ago when you all came out this way to look? Hwy. 64 which runs right next to Abbington is not lit for several miles until you get to almost Cary, so it's not like that neighborhood and its surroundings are well lit and Bella Casa isn't.

The homes we were looking at in West Cary were actually the same price point as the one we purchased in Bella Casa. The square footage and prices were the same, so by buying here it had nothing to do with Apex being a less desirable area, we thought this area actually looked more desirable since the neighborhood traffic around here is not as bad. Also, you don't need to use NC-540 to get to RTP from here either, it's just quicker if your commute is in the 7:30-8:30am time period. My wife gets to her job in RTP in under 25 minutes using 55 (no tolls). If you don't like Bella Casa that's fine, but please understand that multitudes of people think West Apex is just as desirable as West Cary.

From looking at the map, I got the impression that Bella Casa to RTP is a 25-30 minute drive through NC-540! 25 min using 55 - not bad at all!

Old 10-23-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:

I don't doubt that plenty of people enjoy Apex. And West Cary.

I would choose West Cary over Apex, but we ultimately ruled out both. It's all a matter of personal preference, budget, etc.

I have lived in more than one house that was under 300k in price at the time of purchase. I do not think 300k homes in this area are "cheap."

It is about price plus location plus suitability to me.

We would likely have bought a home for a couple hundred thousand less than we did if it could have been accomplished with our set of needs.

It couldn't. We did NOT want tract, but it was a personal choice.

If you found something you loved for less? That's very good.

I sorta feel like you think my personal preference NOT to live in Bella Casa means that I would be critical of others choosing to live there. That is not the case at all.

I once spent about 10k to get rid of a gas guzzling, loaded SUV because I started reading studies about how bad Jeep Cherokees pollute (even compared to other SUVs). I just didn't "feel" right about it.

Doesn't mean I would blast someone else for driving one. I used to have one. I'd be a hypocrite if I did.

But, if someone asked me if I thought they should buy one? I'd say no.

I hope that makes sense.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 AM

2,934 posts, read 7,134,695 times
Quote:
From looking at the map, I got the impression that Bella Casa to RTP is a 25-30 minute drive through NC-540! 25 min using 55 - not bad at all!
Using 540 you can get to the middle of RTP in 20 minutes from Bella Casa. My wife commutes at 5:45am on 55 north, so it takes her about 23-24 minutes, but that is with hardly any traffic. I would use NC-540 if I were commuting at 7:30-8:30am, since it would save 10-15 minutes with normal traffic.

I can also get from my work in the south end of DT Raleigh to my home in 19 minutes when there is no traffic, but more like 25 minutes in the morning when I am driving at around 7:30-8:00am. It's not bad at all, but growing up in the DC region I could have a different perspective on things.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,810,360 times
Quote:
Using 540 you can get to the middle of RTP in 20 minutes from Bella Casa. My wife commutes at 5:45am on 55 north, so it takes her about 23-24 minutes, but that is with hardly any traffic. I would use NC-540 if I were commuting at 7:30-8:30am, since it would save 10-15 minutes with normal traffic.
Yeah, I was thinking your wife must be commuting off hours to get to RTP that quickly via 55. Commute time & traffic here is very dependent on what time you are on the road and 55 is pretty heavily used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary