U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:04 PM

43 posts, read 81,795 times

Advertisements

MB1972, if nothing else it keeps the dentists in business. I didn't know you could order half n half. That would make it much better.. I like mine just a little sweet. I'll have to try that.

On the driving front, seriously they need a public service campaign or lower the speed limit and ticket like crazy. This is coming from someone who thinks 65 is crawling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,791,822 times
I have to say, I am jealous you have done so much already. We came from the midwest (WI) last summer and haven't done nearly enough-doesn't help that my husband works nights.
We're out in the boonies (Clayton) and I do miss being closer to city amenities, as I always lived in a large city, but I too am loving NC in general! My kids miss the snow, but I don't care if I never see another flake of the stuff again!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 PM

120 posts, read 208,000 times
Interesting take. I'm from the Midwest as well and moved here this year. Many of my observations agree with yours.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:00 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,382,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals82 View Post

traffic - honestly it isn't that bad. But the drivers are absolutely awful. I've been flipped off twice (i drive a casual 7-10 mph over the speed limit in the middle lane) and had a guy try to run me off the road on purpose. The drivers are just terrible. I had my signal on the other day and slowly got over when the lady floors it to make sure i can't get in. Then she casually flips me off and speeds away. Just incredibly rude, selfish, clueless drivers. I've had people pass me on the right side going 90+ right by an exit. All it would take is me to get off on an exit and not check one mirror and it would be a fatality. I don't know how to explain it. Some people drive 90+, some drive 50 and everything in between. So many people seem to be really angry and really in a hurry.. Even midday on the weekend. It's just a melting pot of driving styles and it is doesn't seem very safe.

some people here will be quick (like everything) to blame this on the transplants, but i remember the tailgating and erratic driving to be the same 20 years ago before many of the transplants arrived. In those days, it wasn't unusual to see a guy stopped his truck on the road to have a conversation with someone in their yard. Lots of road rage due to a lack of cooperation. Merging proves difficult too, since no one seems to get the idea of speed or slow down to allow traffic to merge. you will see some very unpredictable things on the road in your future..

people - it's weird. It's completely one extreme or the other. Some of the locals and transplants i've met have been some of the warmest friendliest people i've ever met. I've also met some of the rudest jerks i've encountered in all my life. All in a month. In general, the people are friendlier and more engaging than where we came from.

correct word here is cordial, not friendly. Southern hospitality is just a social protocol of sorts. In general, they don't like outsiders and won't accept them. You'll meet more rude jerks and i imagine you'll find some of those cordial people are actually jerks underneath all that yes sir no sir stuff... You'll find more friends in areas with a greater proportion of transplants.

bugs - this has been one of the biggest surprises. I feel like i'm in a zoo. Every time i walk outside i see some giant centipede or huge spider or snake or deer. It's really cool. I like animals. Everything is just so alive down here.

hope you like mosquitoes too.. You just hang tight there, you'll get em next year!

weather - pretty much what i expected but surprised at how strong the sun is. Some mornings i get up and see it's 50 out and put on a sweatshirt and within a few minutes of walking the dogs i'm borderline sweating from the sun. The sun's strength surprised me.

you've actually been in nc during one of the more pleasant times of the year. The other will be around may - early june. After that, humid humid humid.

things to do - i've read numerous threads that this place is boring. How is that possible? Every few blocks there is some beautiful park. There are lakes, 2 college towns (3 if you include ncsu in raleigh), downtown raleigh, five points, hillsborough's cool downtown, tons of live music, festivals, jordan lake, etc. Everyday we have like 5 different things we want to do or see. This will slow down as we live here longer but there is just so much to do i don't see how we'd ever get bored. I didn't even mention the beautiful beaches in wilmington or awesome asheville not too far away.

Housing - relatively similar priced to where we're from. Basements are rare which is totally opposite from up north where basement's are the norm. One funny thing i noticed is almost every house we looked at had a beautifully manicured front yard and almost every house we looked at had a completely unmaintained back yard. There were exceptions. We found that funny. New construction seems to be more desirable here while older is less desirable. This is totally opposite from up north. Our new construction is pretty bad and older homes with character tend to carry a higher price tag.

you may find housing bubble area construction to be equally as bad as up there. Ironically, as much as southerners reminisced about tradition, i never found that they had an affinity for old physical things. Perhaps an effort to forget the past? Perhaps they associate older things with being poverty stricken for generations following the war? White flight? Not sure about this one either..

pimento cheese - what's up with this? It's on every menu.

Sweet tea - is poured like water down here and it's very very sweet.

not surprisingly, so is diabetes and obesity..

north raleigh - we also house hunted in north raleigh and honestly just didn't like it. The homes are totally our style.. Older with character and decent sized yards. But it just felt very cold. People seemed less friendly and engaging. Traffic was always bad and roads seemed narrow. It just didn't feel like a warm friendly place. Not to say we didn't meet nice people because we did. I'm just generalizing how we felt.

less transplants, more southerners who consider themselves upper crusty..

durham - we've really liked it everytime we're up that way. A bit of a hippy green vibe but cool. still haven't seen the really "bad" areas yet. life and science museum is awesome if you have kids. Marbles downtown raleigh is cool too. Stay and play cafe is a cool little place where you can hang out while your kids play.

if you spend more time there, you will!

not trying to poke fun at any one area but just trying to generalize our experiences in the short time we've been here. It's very different coming from the midwest to the triangle so hopefully this might help someone out. Overall we really like it and look forward to planting our roots here.
-rr

Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 AM

33,058 posts, read 26,870,396 times
You grossly overgeneralize the native population. We're not all walking around, being outwardly cordial while loathing transplants. You know we had transplants here in pretty large numbers over 30 years ago (thanks to IBM in particular), right? About half the kids I knew from junior high onward were transplants. We didn't have some "natives" vs "transplants" thing going. People were just people. Same as now.

This was true in the Triangle area. Can't speak for other parts of the state. Some smaller towns around here? They look at me like "I" don't belong. I think that's just a small town thing that's not unique to NC.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,811,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals82 View Post
I'm not trying to steer people away from other areas. Different strokes for different folks. But you read and hear so much about west cary and north raleigh and different areas and we just didn't hear much about central cary until we got down here. I think people, especially with a midwest perspective, who like a little character and a little age to their homes would really like central cary.
The older parts of Cary don't get much press compared to all the new construction, but I wouldn't trade my quirky circa-1987 house surrounded by mature trees for anything being built in a new subdivision.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:06 AM

33,058 posts, read 26,870,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
The older parts of Cary don't get much press compared to all the new construction, but I wouldn't trade my quirky circa-1987 house surrounded by mature trees for anything being built in a new subdivision.
We looked for awhile over on Bond Lake. Husband just wanted to be directly on the lake. He grew up in a house that was on a lake (up in Michigan, yep, I'm married to a transplant). We never saw one go up for sale that was large enough to accommodate 5 people plus 2 home offices. It is pretty over there, though.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 AM

43 posts, read 81,795 times
RR,

I'll take humidity every day of the week over 30 and gray for 3 straight months, sometimes longer. At least with humidity and heat you can jump in a pool or drink a cold beverage. You have options. The only solution for cold and gray is to hunker down in your house, which is what we all did. We'd literally go months without seeing our neighbors in the winter. Everything sort of dies up north in the winter.. animals, plants and in many ways.. people. It's just depressing.

Mosquitos are bad up north in the summer as well. That's what they made screened porches for. That was a prereq for us while house hunting.

We haven't lived here long enough to know whether your glass half empty version of the locals is correct or if meh_whatever is closer to the truth. I'll give you one example as to why I'm leaning towards meh_whatever's side. I was at a consignment baby store in cary and I asked the cashier if they sold boy's hats. She said no so I thanked her and walked out. As I walked out I noticed someone walk out behind me. She then tapped me on the shoulder and said, "I couldn't help overhear you are looking for a boy's hat. I was just at target and saw really cute boy's hats that were on sale. You should check it out." She then proceeded to go back in the store. In other words, she went out of her way and left the store to help me. I could replay that scenario 100k times up north and that would never happen. I have a few other stories but I won't bore you with a bunch of stories. I just really get the impression that people down here are just genuinely good people. Of course, there are a few jerks mixed in. You are going to get that everywhere.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 AM

9,950 posts, read 10,234,069 times
Glad you've found a place to settle in royals. I think your post will be helpful to a lot of people.

As far as the driving, I really think that's a Raleigh thing (and maybe a Charlotte thing too). I went on a school field trip to the State Fair yesterday and drove myself while the kids rode on the school buses. Traffic was horrible and very aggressive. I don't get that in Chapel Hill or Durham or other parts of the state (with the exception of maybe Charlotte, but I usually let the spouse drive there —his hometown). We drive around or thru Greensboro & Winston a lot going to a family home in Boone and travel down to Fayetteville (my hometown) and the beach a fair amount too and Raleigh traffic is just nasty. Couldn't say who all the nasty drivers are (transplants or natives), but I really don't see it much in other parts of the state. Driving yesterday (middle of the day) I felt like I was back in LA or DC. Ugh.

I always ask for half & half tea. I've had straight sweet tea before so sugary that I swear you coulda stood a spoon up in it.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:36 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,903,046 times
Hello Royals82. I can tell by your handle, that you're either from Kansas City MO, or are at the very least a Royals fan?

I moved here from Kansas City this past Thanksgiving. Am living in Youngsville, just North of Wake Forest.

My perceptions of the area here are: it's the same, but different. We have close access to almost all of the same stores here as we had in Kansas City. What's different is the climate, and, therefore, a few more bugs. This past winter here was what I would classify as very nice--nicer than any I've experience in Michigan, Wyoming, Colorado, or Missouri.

Milder winters mean more bugs--it's a fact of life. We love it down here. No more plowing snow, chipping ice out from around my gate at 5am on the way to work to get out of the yard, etc.

Again, welcome, and based on places I've lived (small downs in the middle of "flyover country") there are a LOT worse places to be. That said, this area (like any other) is what you make of it. Just smile, say hello, slow down a bit, yes ma'am, yes sir to everyone, and you'll be just fine.

If not: then leave.

Best regards from a MichiColoWyoOklaMissourian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary