U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:38 AM

33,237 posts, read 27,024,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Glad you've found a place to settle in royals. I think your post will be helpful to a lot of people.

As far as the driving, I really think that's a Raleigh thing (and maybe a Charlotte thing too). I went on a school field trip to the State Fair yesterday and drove myself while the kids rode on the school buses. Traffic was horrible and very aggressive. I don't get that in Chapel Hill or Durham or other parts of the state (with the exception of maybe Charlotte, but I usually let the spouse drive there —his hometown). We drive around or thru Greensboro & Winston a lot going to a family home in Boone and travel down to Fayetteville (my hometown) and the beach a fair amount too and Raleigh traffic is just nasty. Couldn't say who all the nasty drivers are (transplants or natives), but I really don't see it much in other parts of the state. Driving yesterday (middle of the day) I felt like I was back in LA or DC. Ugh.

I always ask for half & half tea. I've had straight sweet tea before so sugary that I swear you coulda stood a spoon up in it.
Raleigh traffic has been weird for as long as I've been driving (mid 80s). It has, however, gotten worse.

Cary has definitely gotten worse. I think the thing with Raleigh is sprawl. And rapid growth. Cary is similar. It's not locals and it's not transplants. The same people drive in other cities/towns around here (like Durham and CH) and those don't have issues much.

You mentioned Charlotte and I agree. I'd also toss Fayetteville in there. I HATE driving in Fayetteville.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:09 AM

9,992 posts, read 10,304,190 times
Ehh...Fayetteville's not that bad for driving. Maybe I-95 is bad, but I'm not usually on that. The All American is not very bad and in town it's just regular traffic. They're not exceptionally nice or anything, but it's not aggressive like the traffic on I-40 in Raleigh yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 09:50 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,836,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
We looked for awhile over on Bond Lake. Husband just wanted to be directly on the lake. He grew up in a house that was on a lake (up in Michigan, yep, I'm married to a transplant). We never saw one go up for sale that was large enough to accommodate 5 people plus 2 home offices. It is pretty over there, though.
I absolutely love the houses that back up to Bond Lake. There are a few that look quite large and one even built an addition on the top floor. I don't think they come up for sale all that often though.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,411,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post

Ironically, as much as southerners reminisced about tradition, i never found that they had an affinity for old physical things. Perhaps an effort to forget the past? Perhaps they associate older things with being poverty stricken for generations following the war? White flight? Not sure about this one either..

-rr
What a completely strange comment. A quick check of per-square-foot prices would show that the older neighborhoods in Raleigh are among the most expensive -- Budleigh, Hayes Barton, Cameron Park, Oakwood, for example. Moreover, I am a Southerner and have any number of items in my home that pre-date the Civil War, as do many friends and relatives. A few of these things were damaged by Union soldiers during a nearby battle.

My experience has been that local natives are quite interested in their past, and have no desire to forget anything. Do you know the history of General Joseph Johnston coming up Fayetteville Street and turning left on Hillsborough in Raleigh with General Sherman in hot pursuit, and how Raleigh was saved from the torch only to be threatened again with burning on the assassination of President Lincoln? Have you heard about the tunnel supposedly connecting the basement of the First Baptist Church with the Capitol to give legislators an escape route in the event of a Union siege? Do you know about the weathervane on the top of Christ Episcopal Church? The struggle to keep the seat of government in Raleigh rather than move it to Fayetteville? The early war against the public university system by Wake Forest (Baptist), Davidson (Presbyterian) and Trinity (later called Duke, Methodist). Our past is very interesting . . .

But "White flight?" Really? Flight from where to where? Have you ever been to Baltimore and seen a real instance of "white flight" or blockbusting? Nothing even remotely comparable has ever taken place in the Raleigh area.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 10-24-2013 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
What a completely strange comment. A quick check of per-square-foot prices would show that the older neighborhoods in Raleigh are among the most expensive -- Budleigh, Hayes Barton, Cameron Park, Oakwood, for example. Moreover, I am a Southerner and have any number of items in my home that pre-date the Civil War, as do many friends and relatives. A few of these things were damaged by Union soldiers during a nearby battle.

My experience has been that local natives are quite interested in their past, and have no desire to forget anything. Do you know the history of General Joseph Johnston coming up Fayetteville Street and turning left on Hillsborough in Raleigh with General Sherman in hot pursuit, and how Raleigh was saved from the torch only to be threatened again with burning on the assassination of President Lincoln? Have you heard about the tunnel supposedly connecting the basement of the First Baptist Church with the Capitol to give legislators an escape route in the event of a Union siege? Do you know about the weathervane on the top of Christ Episcopal Church? The struggle to keep the seat of government in Raleigh rather than move it to Fayetteville? The early war against the public university system by Wake Forest (Baptist), Davidson (Presbyterian) and Trinity (later Duke, Methodist). Our past is very interesting . . .

But "White flight?" Really? Flight from where to where? Have you ever been to Baltimore and seen a real instance of "white flight" or blockbusting? Nothing even remotely comparable has ever taken place in the Raleigh area.
Great post. I found the original post baffling as well.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I absolutely love the houses that back up to Bond Lake. There are a few that look quite large and one even built an addition on the top floor. I don't think they come up for sale all that often though.
Yeah... that's what we noticed. Pity. They are nice.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Ehh...Fayetteville's not that bad for driving. Maybe I-95 is bad, but I'm not usually on that. The All American is not very bad and in town it's just regular traffic. They're not exceptionally nice or anything, but it's not aggressive like the traffic on I-40 in Raleigh yesterday.
I dunno. I never liked it. Seemed like this huge group of people from every state in the union all fighting it out to drive in the manner that they drove back home.

Perhaps we've all gotten used to it now, with even more transplants in the state, though. I will admit that I've not driven there in awhile (and am not remotely disappointed by this... not a fan of Fayetteville).

Old 10-24-2013, 07:09 PM

9,992 posts, read 10,304,190 times
I'm not a fan of Fayetteville either, but while the traffic can get backed up and there are occasional aggressive expletives there aren't as many of them and the roads just aren't as big as I-40/440/540.

I was surprised by how much traffic and how aggressive it was yesterday. We left Carrboro about 9:15 and got to the State Fair about 10, stayed for a few hours and left at 12:45, so not rush hour or anything. I did get caught in some State Fair traffic (mainly my fault — I was following someone and I thought they knew where they were going, but they didn't, and I shoulda parked at Carter-Finley the first go round), but that was not unexpected. I was surprised with how heavy traffic was on I-40 and Wade Ave before the Fair, though. Maybe the Fair made it worse, but I don't think it was all due to the Fair.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:48 PM

341 posts, read 294,009 times
Hey everyone.
Really enjoyed reading this post and it proved once again how subjective individual experiences can be.
Having moved here from metro NY area a year and a half ago, I have noted some similar things and a couple of major differences from the observations of the OP.

Traffic wise, I have had a few unpleasant experiences of being cut off, being flipped the bird, etc. However those have been the exception rather than the rule. I am a very defensive driver and have found myself becoming becoming less so here. Traffic is definitely heavier in certain areas but still NOTHING compared to NY. Very recently, someone told me that drivers ARE more aggressive in the Cary area. Any correlation to the high number of NY'ers in that part of the triangle? Just a thought.

As for people, I have had a wonderful time meeting fellow transplants and natives alike. My theory has been that a contributing factor to this hospitality is the quality of life. In suburban NY, the tasking of everyday living is inherent with so much stress due to traffic, congestion, and entitled ppl not wanting to work and/or wait on the customers. Since people are people everywhere, I am sure there are instances of the same here but it has not been my experience.

I can also relate to what the OP says about older homes and charm up north and about them being better built.
I am in the process of moving to Holly Springs after renting in Chapel Hill. The rental was in a community of new Townhomes complete with paper thin walls and "paper" woodlike floors. Sure looked pretty but I could hear when my neighbors opened their closets.
The home we just purchased is 5 years old but seems solid.

In closing, thank you so much to all you regular, informative posters who really help us recent transplants. Some of you have led me to finding treasured places in this new state I call home.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,394,160 times
Quote:
You grossly overgeneralize the native population. We're not all walking around, being outwardly cordial while loathing transplants. You know we had transplants here in pretty large numbers over 30 years ago (thanks to IBM in particular), right? About half the kids I knew from junior high onward were transplants. We didn't have some "natives" vs "transplants" thing going. People were just people. Same as now.

This was true in the Triangle area. Can't speak for other parts of the state. Some smaller towns around here? They look at me like "I" don't belong. I think that's just a small town thing that's not unique to NC.
Naturally it is a general statement, not sure in every single but in my experience, true much or most of the time. Anyone who's been in on the inside knows that the general attitude towards outsiders is one of aversion, suspicion, and general dislike (mostly not to their face). Southerners are isolationists in a sense, and that's OK, but a frank discussion about this attitude is better than trite, feelgood statements.

Although the proportion of transplants was higher than other parts of the state pre 1990, it was still much lower than it was starting in the 90's forward. There was a much more distinctive "north Carolinian" character to it.

Quote:
People were just people. Same as now.
Now this is a gross over generalization if there ever was one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary