U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 12:59 PM

540 posts, read 690,612 times

Advertisements

I moved here 18 years ago. The only thing that stuck out to me traffic-wise upon my arrival was the lack of turn signal use. It was quite noticeable (along with the lack of street lights, but that’s another thread)

The population and number of cars have grown dramatically since then, but without a corresponding increase in number/capacity of roads. Yes, many roads have been widened and we now have 540, but the roads are certainly are more crowded.

I don’t think I see as many people not using their signals, but maybe I have grown accustom to it – still a pet peeve of mine. I think it is selfish and rude.

I think as a society of drivers we have become less courteous. From the anti-mergers, to the people who won’t let you out of a parking lot or side street, left lane lollygaggers, intersection blockers, and distracted drivers. In my experience it’s not so much aggressive driving as it is discourteous, selfish driving.

I don’t think it is a function of where you are from, I think it is a function of more crowded roads, more traffic signals, and impatient drivers who are not paying attention to what they should.

My other impressions were that many of the buildings were new, there was lots of landscaping, people were friendly, there was lots of sunshine and it gets crazy hot in the summer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 06:17 PM

328 posts, read 337,876 times
I've said in in other threads and I'll say it here too. 40 between Greensboro and Durham was the most treacherous stretch of road I have ever driven on. Many people were on average going 15-20 MPH over the speed limit, not using turn signals, cutting each other off, slamming on their brakes, etc. It was utter chaos. I've driven on the DC beltway many times and not seen anything like that before. Locally it's not as bad. One thing that really irritates me is the disregard for 35 MPH zones. Everyone wants to do 45-50 and sometimes more than that. I'm not going to go more than 5 over the speed limit in a 35 zone. I always get tailgated, high beams and everything you can imagine when I drive through a 35 zone. The worst is up Lake Wheeler. I've had people zoom past me on the shoulder going 50 MPH or probably faster.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:57 PM

9,951 posts, read 10,238,941 times
I drive 40 from Chapel Hill to Charlotte or Boone regularly and it doesn't bother me very much. Traffic can sometimes be heavy, but not as heavy as I experienced Wed in Raleigh and I haven't run into that much aggressive driving there either.

Way back in the 70s or 80s, though, I did see two black limos weaving in and out of traffic, chasing each other and speeding 100+ mph on I-40 around G-boro. I always wondered what that was about. Made me think of the Godfather and the Mafia (it was the 70s).

Old 10-26-2013, 10:13 PM

61 posts, read 102,703 times
I see a fair amount of people on this thread complaining about the honking, and being honked at, especially at the traffic lights. First of all let me admit that I am not shy about using my horn in traffic, although I do stick to the "code" of lightly tapping the horn at first, and escalating to that long "FU" type of honk only if my first few short and "polite" beeps are completely ignored.

Some people have said that they have been honked at traffic lights if they "not gun their car as soon as the light turns green", or "allow themselves a few glances at the surrounding areas". All I can say is that I could only wish more people were like you. Because, most of the time in my experience, the cars that fail to move when the light changes to green don't even move at idle speed but just sit there motionless, and their drivers are not engaging in a few moment long glances at the area around the intersection, rather they are deeply engrossed in whatever is on the screen of their smartphone.

Secondly, a lot of people don't know the area well, and that includes little things such as traffic light patterns and other tricky things particular to a certain neighborhood or a street, or an intersection. For example, in my own neighborhood there are intersections where if you come from a certain direction you get a green light for 20 seconds followed by a red for over 3 minutes. Now, us "locals" that drive thru those intersections on a daily basis know that, and are aware that you just can't afford to snooze and allow a 1/4 or 1/2 of the duration of the green light to get going, because if that happens that means we get to sit there for another 3 minutes or more. Therefore there tends to be a lower tolerance towards people who fail to move as soon as the light turns green at those intersections.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 AM

226 posts, read 520,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTA View Post
I see a fair amount of people on this thread complaining about the honking, and being honked at, especially at the traffic lights. First of all let me admit that I am not shy about using my horn in traffic, although I do stick to the "code" of lightly tapping the horn at first, and escalating to that long "FU" type of honk only if my first few short and "polite" beeps are completely ignored.

Some people have said that they have been honked at traffic lights if they "not gun their car as soon as the light turns green", or "allow themselves a few glances at the surrounding areas". All I can say is that I could only wish more people were like you. Because, most of the time in my experience, the cars that fail to move when the light changes to green don't even move at idle speed but just sit there motionless, and their drivers are not engaging in a few moment long glances at the area around the intersection, rather they are deeply engrossed in whatever is on the screen of their smartphone.

Secondly, a lot of people don't know the area well, and that includes little things such as traffic light patterns and other tricky things particular to a certain neighborhood or a street, or an intersection. For example, in my own neighborhood there are intersections where if you come from a certain direction you get a green light for 20 seconds followed by a red for over 3 minutes. Now, us "locals" that drive thru those intersections on a daily basis know that, and are aware that you just can't afford to snooze and allow a 1/4 or 1/2 of the duration of the green light to get going, because if that happens that means we get to sit there for another 3 minutes or more. Therefore there tends to be a lower tolerance towards people who fail to move as soon as the light turns green at those intersections.
Well said. If you're driving, pay attention, even when sitting at a red light.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:55 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,472,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Where are you folks driving that you're getting honked at and flipped off? I've lived near High House/55 for 17 years and have never seen this. I've heard a quick horn tap at someone who's sitting after the light changes to green but have yet to see anything worse than that.
For the most part, I agree with this. I've been flipped off a few times, but usually I deserved it. (I'm not a jerk driver, but I have made a bone-head move before. Usually if that happens and someone honks, I'll waive to let them know I'm sorry, and it's over.)

The honking if you don't move at a light thing is often for a left turn light, where if you snooze, you looze. I've been the giver and the receiver of a friendly "toot". No problem.

I get a little pissed when I put on a signal to change lanes (usually to exit on the right), and some jerk speeds up to close the gap and pass me on the right, instead of letting me get over and pass me on the left (like they should). That is a my biggest "bad driver complaint" for around here.

In case I didn't post it earlier, I think the OP is awesome, and observations are mostly great and positive. I repped the OP, but can't remember if I posted. Thanks for the great post, and welcome to the neighborhood.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:52 AM

43 posts, read 81,817 times
Myghost, thanks for the kind words. I think we're all over thinking the traffic, honking, flipping off stuff. It's really pretty simple. Treat others like you want to be treated, period. Just because you are in your car and you are anonymous doesn't mean you shouldn't follow that simple rule.

If the light turns green and you take 1.5 seconds to notice it do you want to be honked at? Probably not. So don't do it to others.

Do you like it when someone merges into your lane without using a turn signal? Probably not. So don't do it to others.

Do you like it when people cut you off or don't let you merge? Probably not. So don't do it to others.

Yeah, we all screw up. I honk when absolutely needed. I've been honked at. It's all good. It's not complicated. But the excessive speed, the selfishness, the lack of patience, I've experienced in a month down here far exceeds anything I've ever seen in all my years of driving.

LBTA, my question to you is who cares? Isn't this the south? Are you in that big of a hurry that if the person in front of you is distracted for a couple seconds (many of us have kids in the car that cause that) you must honk? I mean really? What does that solve? Yeah, maybe the person will drive away a few seconds quicker. Are those few seconds worth ticking someone off? Of course there are extremes. There are the clueless people who will sit at a light for like 10 seconds dozing off or completely not paying attention. And yes, they need a horn and even they would admit they need a horn. We've all been guilty of that. But it's the almost immediate honking that is ridiculous. All it does is create tension amongst the drivers and looks really bad to out of towners. Again, follow the simple golden rule and everything really takes care of itself.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 AM

33,063 posts, read 26,880,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGRW View Post
Well said. If you're driving, pay attention, even when sitting at a red light.
I think people should pay attention for sure, but glancing around and not flooring it the instant the light switches to green should not be reason to start honking. Give a person a few seconds.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:01 AM

33,063 posts, read 26,880,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals82 View Post
Myghost, thanks for the kind words. I think we're all over thinking the traffic, honking, flipping off stuff. It's really pretty simple. Treat others like you want to be treated, period. Just because you are in your car and you are anonymous doesn't mean you shouldn't follow that simple rule.

If the light turns green and you take 1.5 seconds to notice it do you want to be honked at? Probably not. So don't do it to others.

Do you like it when someone merges into your lane without using a turn signal? Probably not. So don't do it to others.

Do you like it when people cut you off or don't let you merge? Probably not. So don't do it to others.

Yeah, we all screw up. I honk when absolutely needed. I've been honked at. It's all good. It's not complicated. But the excessive speed, the selfishness, the lack of patience, I've experienced in a month down here far exceeds anything I've ever seen in all my years of driving.

LBTA, my question to you is who cares? Isn't this the south? Are you in that big of a hurry that if the person in front of you is distracted for a couple seconds (many of us have kids in the car that cause that) you must honk? I mean really? What does that solve? Yeah, maybe the person will drive away a few seconds quicker. Are those few seconds worth ticking someone off? Of course there are extremes. There are the clueless people who will sit at a light for like 10 seconds dozing off or completely not paying attention. And yes, they need a horn and even they would admit they need a horn. We've all been guilty of that. But it's the almost immediate honking that is ridiculous. All it does is create tension amongst the drivers and looks really bad to out of towners. Again, follow the simple golden rule and everything really takes care of itself.
I agree with everything you just said. Being respectful of others is the key.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:41 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,472,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals82 View Post

Also agree with most everything here. I didn't say it well, but I guess what I forgot to type is that if I'm sitting at a light and forget to go, I don't mind a "toot-toot" to catch my attention, even if it's 1.5 seconds. I guess I generally consider a toot-toot as a friendly reminder, and don't take offense. I would not want someone to lean on the horn, and I wouldn't do it. (I agree, if everyone would just follow the golden rule, the world would be a better place.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary