Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:50 PM

77 posts, read 172,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals82 View Post
Haha.. thanks NRG. I have no problem being flipped off. It's happened many a time. But usually it's when I actually do something stupid. I've just never lived somewhere where you can drive 77mph in a 70 and put on your signal to get over and have plenty of room and suddenly someone flies by going 95 while giving you the bird. Definitely a first for me. Then again, I've had quite a few firsts in short time we've been here.
Yes, rudest people are on the road. And I agree that its a mix of friendly people and jerks. The area just isn't for me. The parks are nice, especially Lake Crabtree, but something's just missing in my opinion in this area. My husband and I are an interracial couple and we get the stares. I was surprised but it seems the transplants aren't as open minded as you would think. I am from a smaller town and was used to smiling at people as I am walking by and getting a smile back. Here, most people look at you like your weird for doing that. It's not easy to connect with people here. Meetup is just too impersonal to me. The groups on there are strange to say the least and mostly the same type of people. NC is a beautiful state though. The bugs don't bother me, I am from SC and am used to the southern bugs. My cat takes care of them for me! The area I live in around Morrisville is clean and safe, just impersonal. I guess if you have kids maybe you have your clique you can join in but that's not the case for me. I work in Chapel Hill and find my co workers to be nice. Chapel Hill isn't what I expected. It's small and not all that clean. It does have some neat restaurants though. Village Burger is awesome. I guess there is good and bad everywhere and I wouldn't know where to move even if I could. Just trying to find something here with more substance and meaning. Namely, the community of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:23 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcs11 View Post
Yes, rudest people are on the road. And I agree that its a mix of friendly people and jerks. The area just isn't for me. The parks are nice, especially Lake Crabtree, but something's just missing in my opinion in this area. My husband and I are an interracial couple and we get the stares. I was surprised but it seems the transplants aren't as open minded as you would think. I am from a smaller town and was used to smiling at people as I am walking by and getting a smile back. Here, most people look at you like your weird for doing that. It's not easy to connect with people here. Meetup is just too impersonal to me. The groups on there are strange to say the least and mostly the same type of people. NC is a beautiful state though. The bugs don't bother me, I am from SC and am used to the southern bugs. My cat takes care of them for me! The area I live in around Morrisville is clean and safe, just impersonal. I guess if you have kids maybe you have your clique you can join in but that's not the case for me. I work in Chapel Hill and find my co workers to be nice. Chapel Hill isn't what I expected. It's small and not all that clean. It does have some neat restaurants though. Village Burger is awesome. I guess there is good and bad everywhere and I wouldn't know where to move even if I could. Just trying to find something here with more substance and meaning. Namely, the community of people.
Have you tried a smaller town like Hillsborough, Pittsboro, Mebane, or Graham. There might be a more small-town community feel in those places than in the suburbs of Raleigh. Each of them would be an okay commute to Chapel Hill.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Curiosity question. Interracial in what way? Which portion of the interracial couple are you?

I ask you this because my ex-husband is Asian and he used to SWEAR people were staring at us (I'm white) and I honestly did not sense this sort of staring as often as he did.

And, I have to add that I am very social and he is a bit of a socially awkward person.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Any honking beyond a quick "chirp" when someone is on the phone at a green light is useless. Long or repetitive beeping is useless, you are just venting your anger at a person that is many times someone who doesnt care one bit about being polite and in all of that you just made more noise outside.

There are bad drivers out there, beeping wont fix that or change the person.
I stopped beeping because of this and try to let it roll off my shoulders, that person will continue his ways no matter what.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Any honking beyond a quick "chirp" when someone is on the phone at a green light is useless. Long or repetitive beeping is useless, you are just venting your anger at a person that is many times someone who doesnt care one bit about being polite and in all of that you just made more noise outside.

There are bad drivers out there, beeping wont fix that or change the person.
I stopped beeping because of this and try to let it roll off my shoulders, that person will continue his ways no matter what.
Yeah. That's my general attitude. Aside from the quick chirp if I feel highly confident that the driver is distracted, I just let it go.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:06 PM

77 posts, read 172,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Curiosity question. Interracial in what way? Which portion of the interracial couple are you?

I ask you this because my ex-husband is Asian and he used to SWEAR people were staring at us (I'm white) and I honestly did not sense this sort of staring as often as he did.

And, I have to add that I am very social and he is a bit of a socially awkward person.
Sorry, I never responded to your question, I am not on the forum often. We are black/white couple. I am white, he is black. We are both introverted but like people. That probably adds to the social issue.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I never responded to your question, I am not on the forum often. We are black/white couple. I am white, he is black. We are both introverted but like people. That probably adds to the social issue.
There are a good many black/white couples around here. You may get looks now and then, but I don't think it should be a constant for you. I think you'd get more looks if your genders were reversed. Black female/white male couples are less common here.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:03 AM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yeah. That's my general attitude. Aside from the quick chirp if I feel highly confident that the driver is distracted, I just let it go.
Sometimes people honk at me because I don't punch the gas as soon as the light turns green. Punching the gas wastes gas. I'm also a little slower on take off because I drive a manual. Taking off quickly has a higher chance of stalling, thus making someone even angrier.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Sometimes people honk at me because I don't punch the gas as soon as the light turns green. Punching the gas wastes gas. I'm also a little slower on take off because I drive a manual. Taking off quickly has a higher chance of stalling, thus making someone even angrier.
Yeah. I'm not gonna punch it and force my car to take off fast enough to potentially engage the hybrid engine when I've got enough battery to run all electric. Thing is, most of the time we all get to the next red light at the same time, so what's the extreme hurry? Gun it just to rapidly decelerate at the next light? Nope.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:10 PM

487 posts, read 890,644 times
Quote:
Black female/white male couples are less common here.
That's odd: that's generally the only black/white pairing permitted in American movies and television.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary