U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:26 PM

33,095 posts, read 26,919,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Walnut Street Park should not be so low on the list. It really is truly lovely, and the best thing to happen in that area since annexation.

Walnut Street Park, Cary NC - a set on Flickr
Well... that is a good point, I just never get over there.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:28 PM

4,188 posts, read 9,819,130 times
Bond Park is my favorite, but I'm biased since I live right next to it (and run there 4+ days a week). Hemlock Bluffs is really cool. I guess I don't really visit the other parks, unless you count bike riding through on greenways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:31 PM

2,884 posts, read 3,194,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
I'm having the same exact experience. There have been many nights since my 6th grader started at DDMS that I've checked her agenda and the Blackboard site to see why she has no homework. She apparently gets it done in class and in smart block. She usually has about 15 minutes of math homework a night, and that's it. She did say that some of the other 6th grade teams give out more homework in Science and Social Studies, so maybe that's it?

My youngest is in 3rd grade at GHE and she has about an hour of homework a night (including 20 minutes of reading). However, she is also incredibly sloooowwww with her homework, so not sure that's really accurate.

FWIW, both of mine attended Morrisville Elementary last year. My 6th grader definitely had more homework there than she does now. My 3rd grader didn't, but I remember homework increasing exponentially in 3rd grade with my oldest too (love EOGs!).

By the way -- I'd also recommend Preston Village. I love it here! (Hi neighbor!)

Ah, smart block. That is the term I was looking for.

To be fair, its been so long since I was in sixth grade that I have no idea how much homework I had, so maybe the amount they are getting is normal.

Yes, we do really like PV!

Old 10-24-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Bond Park is my favorite, but I'm biased since I live right next to it (and run there 4+ days a week). Hemlock Bluffs is really cool. I guess I don't really visit the other parks, unless you count bike riding through on greenways.
My husband rented an apartment over in Oxxford Hunt when we first started dating. We used to bike around Bond Park all the time.

He moved over to Hermitage at Beechtree later that year when his lease was up, and we spent all our time at Lake Crabtree and Umstead after that.

We were good with either location when we were shopping for a house together, but wound up near Lake Crabtree/Umstead because it was the only location were we could get a trail head right in our neighborhood AND the house/space/setup we needed.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 PM

2,284 posts, read 2,230,427 times
OP, you mentioned earlier that you have toddlers so I want to mention a few other parks that were not on Mike's list - although I recommend all of those too! In Morrisville, Town Hall Park and the Observation Park and general aviation building at RDU. In Cary, Davis Drive park, this and Town Hall Park are my neighborhood parks (my old one and my new one). There is no shortage of great parks and playgrounds here. When you are ready to venture into Raleigh there are more great parks to check out.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:13 AM

1,843 posts, read 4,097,054 times
OP-
When you start driving thru these neighborhoods, another thing to look out for is a sense of continuity among the elevations and a sense of a consistent level of quality in construction.

Some West Cary neighborhoods began development as our market began a fairly rapid decline. As a result, they are still building out using a different builder or group of builders than the ones that were there at inception. One neighborhood in particular (Cameron Pond) has suffered a very long and drawn out build-out, exascerbated by the addition of the rusty power lines and the first developer orchestrating a back-door deal with a local utility that enabled them to DESTROY a substantial buffer between the Western border of the property and The Western Wake Freeway.

Lot location and orientation is an extremely big deal in some of the neighborhoods mentioned as well.

As always, my general advice is to consider a resale in an established neighborhood along with new construction in 27519. At your price point there will be opportunities to buy on streets that built out rapidly in neighborhoods that are complete. There will be no question as to what your surroundings will consist of, and minimal potential to have your value and lifestyle affected by future development.

I love new construction and have bought two new homes in Cary. Frankly the opportunities are different than they were in the past, and the 500-600K price point contains fewer great choices in new construction than pricepoints above and below that mark.

You may also look to consider SE Cary-plenty of parks, good schools, and larger lot sizes for the money. The commute is different to RTP but many people do it.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 AM

27 posts, read 113,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
OP-
When you start driving thru these neighborhoods, another thing to look out for is a sense of continuity among the elevations and a sense of a consistent level of quality in construction.

Some West Cary neighborhoods began development as our market began a fairly rapid decline. As a result, they are still building out using a different builder or group of builders than the ones that were there at inception. One neighborhood in particular (Cameron Pond) has suffered a very long and drawn out build-out, exascerbated by the addition of the rusty power lines and the first developer orchestrating a back-door deal with a local utility that enabled them to DESTROY a substantial buffer between the Western border of the property and The Western Wake Freeway.

Lot location and orientation is an extremely big deal in some of the neighborhoods mentioned as well.

As always, my general advice is to consider a resale in an established neighborhood along with new construction in 27519. At your price point there will be opportunities to buy on streets that built out rapidly in neighborhoods that are complete. There will be no question as to what your surroundings will consist of, and minimal potential to have your value and lifestyle affected by future development.

I love new construction and have bought two new homes in Cary. Frankly the opportunities are different than they were in the past, and the 500-600K price point contains fewer great choices in new construction than pricepoints above and below that mark.

You may also look to consider SE Cary-plenty of parks, good schools, and larger lot sizes for the money. The commute is different to RTP but many people do it.
Thanks. Great point. The consistency of construction across subdivisions is also very important to us.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:39 AM

27 posts, read 113,173 times
Any feedback on the Reserve subdivision in west Cary? I noticed on the map that the Reserve is located just east of 540. Is there a rule of thumb in Cary on "east of 540" vs. "west of 540"? Thank you.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Dad View Post
Any feedback on the Reserve subdivision in west Cary? I noticed on the map that the Reserve is located just east of 540. Is there a rule of thumb in Cary on "east of 540" vs. "west of 540"? Thank you.
Nope. Most of us have lived here long enough that 540 as pertains to Cary is TOTALLY irrelevant. The toll section just opened last year.

The Reserve is a nice neighborhood. I wouldn't buy on the main road because it IS a through road, to get to Highcroft. Other than that, there are nice houses out there. Especially if you can find one that's been well-maintained and/or renovated.

Larger lots, too. Depends on the house, really. I like all the trees and mature landscaping out there.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:35 PM

31,641 posts, read 55,374,605 times
If overhead air traffic noise is of any significant concern, these maps may be helpful:
http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/home...cationWake.pdf

http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/nois...rs-parcels.pdf

Even if you are outside the noise contours where disclosure is required, you will have some plane traffic.
The Reserve and Highcroft are both mostly within the notification zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary