U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 AM
DPK

3,144 posts, read 3,427,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
No.

If I tell my kids, "If you fill in the blank you will not be allowed to fill in the blank" and then they go ahead and fill in the blank and I ALLOW fill in the blank,they know they can fill in the blank and will continue their behavior.

If you get a speeding ticket and know that you can call a lawyer and get the charges reduced or eliminated by paying a lawyer why stop speeding? It's obvious when you drive on any highway around here that people think nothing of going 15 or 20 mph over the speed limit.
This doesn't make any sense to what I quoted. It is presumptuous to think that someone isn't going to learn a lesson by getting a ticket. Why can't people learn a lesson at the same time as knowing that they can get a lawyer to help them with their court case?

**** happens. Everyone can have a bad day. You can be in a rush and just plain not thinking. After a while some people just lose track of the little details in life and get used to doing things a certain way (like driving way too fast). Most people know that lawyers are there in situations like this. Getting a ticket can be a reality check for people to get their **** together.

I've been there so that's why this is annoying me as much as it does. It's hard to explain, but to say learning a lesson is not possible in situations like this is just plain ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 11:00 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,292,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
No! -- the speed limit applies to the entire road, specifically including the left lane. If you are going below the speed limit, then you need to keep to the right. If you're in the left lane, then you need to obey the speed limit. Do you really think that you can go any speed that you want simply because you're in the left lane?
You can go any speed you want, not because you're in the left lane, but because sometimes people operate outside of the law when their judgment overtakes arbitrary rules, and they have to deal with the consequences if caught as the OP will....which sorry to disappoint, absolutely will not be jail time. When someone decides to go the speed they are comfortable at, which may be higher than the "speed limit", many unfortunately choose to scoff at them and get in their way to prove a point, which is exponentially more dangerous than the alternative...to stay out of their way.

I know its difficult for people to comprehend this, since society has trained us all to be self-centered, proud, confrontational dictators responsible for ensuring everyone falls in line with our own beliefs, but if we are all driving around thinking everyone else is going to act, react, and respond the way we feel they "should" only bad things will happen. So what do I do, and what do I suggest? Stay out of the way.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:06 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,292,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
This doesn't make any sense to what I quoted. It is presumptuous to think that someone isn't going to learn a lesson by getting a ticket. Why can't people learn a lesson at the same time as knowing that they can get a lawyer to help them with their court case?

**** happens. Everyone can have a bad day. You can be in a rush and just plain not thinking. After a while some people just lose track of the little details in life and get used to doing things a certain way (like driving way too fast). Most people know that lawyers are there in situations like this. Getting a ticket can be a reality check for people to get their **** together.

I've been there so that's why this is annoying me as much as it does. It's hard to explain, but to say learning a lesson is not possible in situations like this is just plain ignorant.
Oh how dare you speak logically and level-headed...OP deserves to be put in jail, essentially limiting his opportunities in society for the rest of his life. Mistake schmistake, lock him up, away from his family, so he can learn how to be a real criminal when he gets out. Since his ability to get a job will be severely hampered, he'll need those critical skills to burglarize the C-D folks in the next town over, because he is unable to feed his kids and has no choice in his mind, leveraging the culture he learned during his stint in prison. BTW, the folks who wished him in jail, they are paying for his stay, his lawyer, his appeals process, and his family's livelihood too.

That's the reality of jail. To wish this upon someone who has a lead foot is more despicable than the crime itself, and folks who do are spitting nothing but hot air to hear themselves talk big and bad, and should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:06 PM
DPK

Quote:
No! -- the speed limit applies to the entire road, specifically including the left lane. If you are going below the speed limit, then you need to keep to the right. If you're in the left lane, then you need to obey the speed limit. Do you really think that you can go any speed that you want simply because you're in the left lane?
People can drive however fast they want to. It's not your job to police them. That's the job of actual law enforcement. Trying to be a vigilante speed guardian on the road to force people to drive slower is exponentially more dangerous than letting people go about their business. I'm not saying it's right to go absurdly fast, but it's well within someones right to do it if they want to. You have no idea why they are trying to go that fast. Maybe they have a passenger that's sick or pregnant. Maybe their loved one is in the hospital. Maybe they're trying to get one point twenty-one jiggawatts to their flux capacitor.

I was in a train of about 30 cars on 147 in the morning stuck behind one such "ruler of the fast lane" and it only makes people do utterly ridiculous things when they have the opportunity to pass the individual. They'll take the smallest gap possible to get past them. That leads to the high possibility that you're going to clip someones bumper and cause an accident.

But I digress.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
That's the reality of jail. To wish this upon someone who has a lead foot is more despicable than the crime itself, and folks who do are spitting nothing but hot air to hear themselves talk big and bad, and should be ashamed of themselves.
Yeah it's kind of disheartening that some people are so quick to throw people in the clinker.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:53 PM

7,691 posts, read 10,062,057 times
Quote:
I'm not going to continue to argue this point because we each believe what believe and are not going to convince each other, except to point out that you are saying that it is ok for you to break the law, but not ok for others to break the law.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:55 PM

2,885 posts, read 3,396,437 times
Quote:
BTW, the folks who wished him in jail, they are paying for his stay, his lawyer, his appeals process, and his family's livelihood too.
Even if this were true (and, of course, it's not -- he will be paying for his own lawyer, just for example), it would be worth every penny to get a 95 MPH sociopath off the road before he kills someone (unless it's another 95 MPH sociopath).

Old 10-27-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
People can drive however fast they want to. It's not your job to police them. That's the job of actual law enforcement. Trying to be a vigilante speed guardian on the road to force people to drive slower is exponentially more dangerous than letting people go about their business. I'm not saying it's right to go absurdly fast, but it's well within someones right to do it if they want to. You have no idea why they are trying to go that fast. Maybe they have a passenger that's sick or pregnant. Maybe their loved one is in the hospital. Maybe they're trying to get one point twenty-one jiggawatts to their flux capacitor.

I was in a train of about 30 cars on 147 in the morning stuck behind one such "ruler of the fast lane" and it only makes people do utterly ridiculous things when they have the opportunity to pass the individual. They'll take the smallest gap possible to get past them. That leads to the high possibility that you're going to clip someones bumper and cause an accident.

But I digress.
You do digress, indeed. But I am curious -- where did I say it was my job to police anything, or that I did any such thing? And no, it is not within your rights to break the law. And no, people cannot drive however fast they want to without expecting severe consequences for breaking the law. Moreover, nobody makes an adult do "utterly ridiculous things." Drivers who do "utterly ridiculous things" are infantile and unable to control their emotions. They need to be taken off the road until they are able to control themselves. A car is not a toy to be used for gratifying a juvenile driver's animal instincts at the expense of other people. That's why twelve-year-olds can't get driver's licenses, and why so-called adults who act like twelve-year-olds with a deadly weapon belong in the slammer.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I'm not going to continue to argue this point because we each believe what believe and are not going to convince each other, except to point out that you are saying that it is ok for you to break the law, but not ok for others to break the law.
Your grasp of logic is interesting. Where did I say it was OK for me to break the law? I don't ever block the left lane, because I personally obey "slower drivers keep right."

Old 10-27-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Oh how dare you speak logically and level-headed...OP deserves to be put in jail, essentially limiting his opportunities in society for the rest of his life.
I know a guy who went through exactly this scenario for being caught at 95 MPH. But here's the fascinating thing about this thread -- rather than defend the criminal and try to argue specious "rights," even the thickest meathead among the leadfoot crowd should draw the conclusion that it's not in one's own best interest to break these kinds of laws. Being a leadfoot is not some kind of involuntary genetic condition; rather, it is willfully sociopathic behavior with significant consequences (as above) when you are apprehended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary