U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:51 AM

2,893 posts, read 3,402,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco P View Post

The law says "slower traffic must keep right, regardless of speed"
No, it doesn't, at least in North Carolina. Here's what the NC law says:

" 20-146. Drive on right side of highway; exceptions.

(b) Upon all highways any vehicle proceeding at less than the legal maximum speed limit shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for thru traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn.
. . .

(e) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, when appropriate signs have been posted, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle over and upon the inside lane, next to the median of any dual-lane highway at a speed less than the posted speed limit when the operation of said motor vehicle over and upon said inside lane shall impede the steady flow of traffic except when preparing for a left turn . . . "

Bottom line -- you're OK going the posted speed limit in the left-hand lane (I don't do this myself), and you're not OK going less than the posted speed limit in the left-hand lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 PM

255 posts, read 465,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
All you hot shots think the speed limit is a joke. If it says 55 and you do 55, you are in full compliance and have every right to use the lane you prefer.

The right lane on many roads appears and disappears many times, so those who feel more comfortable at a lower speed can't use it.

The speed limit is to be obeyed, not a starting point for calculating your desired rate of speed.
Assume much? No - I'm part of the traffic and happen to have to be on constant alert for those shooting around in traffic, which is dangerous. On 540, the 3rd lane to the right (the right lane) doesn't appear or disappear often. The middle lane never just "disappears", but is often cut off by those switching around "I can use the left lane because it is the posted speed limit" people. And yes, it appears that the speed limit IS used as calculating a desired rate of speed... which, based on my daily commute, is usually below the posted limit. Also, the average driver isn't responsible for enforcing the speed of other drivers. If they feel that they are, then maybe they need to look into a career change and join the police force or state patrol.

The legality has absolutely nothing to do with it. People speed, and tend to use the left lane. Get out of it. It isn't your place to be the grand enforcer. Call 911 if you see someone doing something illegal and don't try to take the law into your own hands. It can be dangerous for you and for others.

Also - I do hope that the OP has contacted a lawyer or possibly even had his/her speedometer checked. The possibility of a malfunction of the speedometer or of the radar gun isn't really an unknown concept. It does happen, and it helps to have a legal expert to advise on all of the potential aspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary