U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,220,794 times

Advertisements

The old thread got locked. But I just wanted to mention that we just heard another LOUD boom, at 9:45pm on Thursday night. They always seem to originate near Falls Lake, highway 98 area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 05:13 AM

241 posts, read 378,206 times
I didn't see the old thread, so sorry if this has already been discussed: Are you sure it's not the fireworks at the fairgrounds you're hearing? For some reason, the sound from those is carrying REALLY far this year. I don't know if they're shooting them higher, or the cloud cover is causing the sound to carry more, but I live well outside of Raleigh, and I've heard what I believe to be the fireworks several times over the past week at about 9:45.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 AM

525 posts, read 1,114,121 times
Yep fireworks are at 9:45. I live near North Hills and every year around this time, I think Raleigh is under terrorist attack until I realize they are the fireworks

Old 10-25-2013, 07:01 AM

471 posts, read 367,107 times
Yup Fireworks. the cloud cover is carrying the sound further. We can hear them plainly in Garner.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:09 PM

586 posts, read 982,963 times
No, not fireworks, at 10:15 in Willow Spring we heard an explosion type sound that rumbled our brick home, the dog jumped off the bed ! Think it may have been another Meth Lab exploding in Johnston County ! Lol

Old 10-25-2013, 09:25 PM

Nope, absolutely sure it's not the fireworks. We can hear those some nights, just faintly. This is a house rattling "BOOM". If the fairgrounds fireworks sounded like that up here, it would be shattering windows near the fairgrounds! The booms up here, are originating from north of here.

Old thread:

Loud Booms in area (merged threads)

Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 AM

I think I've found an answer: tannerite targets

I just happened to talk to someone who told me they have been shooting tannerite targets up at Falls Lake at night. They said the concussion and explosion are crazy loud.

I have to assume this is what we are hearing. Far enough away to NOT hear the gunshot, but close enough to hear the loud explosions.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:57 AM

525 posts, read 1,114,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post

I just happened to talk to someone who told me they have been shooting tannerite targets up at Falls Lake at night. They said the concussion and explosion are crazy loud.

I have to assume this is what we are hearing. Far enough away to NOT hear the gunshot, but close enough to hear the loud explosions.
Interesting! Who is "they" -- the person you talked to? Or a group of some sort? It is odd that people would be shooting anything so late at night.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:20 AM

151 posts, read 401,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post

Agreed. We actually heard loud booms in our area and called the cops. The cops went to the neighbor's house and found out this is exactly what he was doing, using these bombs. The cop then told us there is a certain family in northern wake county that does the same thing to annoy the neighbors. He has done it many times and the cops have gone to hi shouse many times.And when I say loud, I mean LOUD earth shattering loud. We have hunters in our neighborhood all the time, and that is very quiet compared to this. The cop told us what they do is find an old abandoned car and blow these things up in the car to make the noise even greater. Apparently there is nothing they can do, but thankfully our neighbor is reasonable and stopped doing it.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:30 AM

2,813 posts, read 6,450,966 times
Interesting thread on things that go bump in the night. I live in northern Wake and have not heard things that went bumpin the night. I will occasionally hear and see columns of helicopters buzzing the tree tops that rattle our windows but that's about it. Now I will be listening for these 'Booms' in the night air. Thanks for the information..... You know what a BOOM is without the 'M' its just a plain old BOO! Happy Halloween.

Last edited by dansdrive; 10-29-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary