Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 02:55 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
Ironically my wife went yesterday during lunch and saw a whole bunch of teenagers lined up for the Vortex trying to show how tough they are... ;-)
There were two rides named Vortex. The one that people were injured on is closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Wake County authorities have arrested the ride operator who ran the Vortex ride at the N.C. State Fair.
Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison said Timothy Dwayne Tutterrow, 46, of Quitman, Ga, has been charged with three felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious bodily injury.

Harrison said after inspecting the ride, investigators determined it had been tampered with and critical safety devices were compromised.

Ride operator arrested in State Fair ride incident - News 14

Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I can't believe someone has been arrested . I really thought and hoped it was all just a terrible accident

Old 10-26-2013, 09:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I can't believe someone has been arrested . I really thought and hoped it was all just a terrible accident
Im speculating, but I think it Wake County way of shifting the burden onto the ride company due to the lawsuits that are likely to come from the victims.

I feel for the victims and their families and Francois of having that sound forever in your head.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:15 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Im speculating, but I think it Wake County way of shifting the burden onto the ride company due to the lawsuits that are likely to come from the victims.

I feel for the victims and their families and Francois of having that sound forever in your head.
I wonder if the guy was set up. I mean, anyone who did that on purpose would know they'd get caught.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:22 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I wonder if the guy was set up. I mean, anyone who did that on purpose would know they'd get caught.
If you're that much of a brainiac, you're probably not working as a carny. I am shocked that someone would deliberately do this, but I'm surprised someone wouldn't think they'd get caught.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:01 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
He didn't deliberately try to injure someone. He deliberately rigged the safety's to show like everything was good no matter what. This then allowed the events to transpire the way they did. It's the only way this accident could have happened in the first place. But rigging safety systems that contribute to an accident is the same as assault in the law. I'm sure he figured nothing would go wrong and they would make sure to get it all corrected later when they had time.

Now, it does seem to point a finger at the system overall. The very device that told whether the harness bar was down or not broke earlier in the week. Going out on a limb and saying that they didn't actually fix the system, they just rigged it to always say the bar was down. How was that not checked by an outside inspector? And they say that NC has one of the more stringent inspections programs for these types of things. Yikes!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Wouldn't the ride company bear the liability anyway? And why does Wake County need to shift the burden - it's not involved in running the State Fair.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:16 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times
Yes, the speculation here is that he want trying to be sinister by deliberately hurting people. He just wanted to keep the ride going. I'm wondering if his motive was not being paid if the ride was shut down. Would there have been any other work for him operating an other ride? Absolutely reckless to risk the passengers safety no matter the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
He didn't deliberately try to injure someone. He deliberately rigged the safety's to show like everything was good no matter what. This then allowed the events to transpire the way they did. It's the only way this accident could have happened in the first place. But rigging safety systems that contribute to an accident is the same as assault in the law. I'm sure he figured nothing would go wrong and they would make sure to get it all corrected later when they had time.

Now, it does seem to point a finger at the system overall. The very device that told whether the harness bar was down or not broke earlier in the week. Going out on a limb and saying that they didn't actually fix the system, they just rigged it to always say the bar was down. How was that not checked by an outside inspector? And they say that NC has one of the more stringent inspections programs for these types of things. Yikes!

Old 10-27-2013, 04:30 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Since this ride wasn't operated by Powers and was the only one on site operated by the employer, the operator may have realized that the shutdown would end his salary. That might be why he chose to jerry-rig the safety systems defeating the protection.

If this is the case, he needs to be punished criminally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary