U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,707,888 times

Advertisements

I have said this before, there are too many moving here and almost no job creation. For every job created article here, there is one a month later of a company closing up or laying off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 12:20 PM

341 posts, read 295,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Plus NYC and it's wealthy surrounding suburbs are filled with people who would sooner go into foreclosure than not be seen at their regular trndy restaurant on Saturday night. I remember before I moved someone telling me about someone who was 3 months behind on their mortgage, but was still out to dinner with their crowd every Saturday night and so on. I can personally think of plenty of people I knew up there who were living so far above their means it was scary. Despite the housing market being "on fire" most of them are still underwater on their houses.
SOOOOO true. There is such a skewed and pervasive sense of what's important in the NY metro area that it is disturbing. Getting away from those sensibilities (or lack thereof) was one of the main things that led me here.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:39 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,707,888 times
Default everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
SOOOOO true. There is such a skewed and pervasive sense of what's important in the NY metro area that it is disturbing. Getting away from those sensibilities (or lack thereof) was one of the main things that led me here.
Not just in NY, its everywhere. Jobs are disappearing from everywhere but many times if you look at the spending habits you realize that many live in perpetual debt....and sometimes for the most ridiculous things.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:26 PM

162 posts, read 250,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
Here's what's really true -- it is simplistic to state that 'what's important' to people in one metro area is 'skewed' and somehow inferior to another. There are over 22 MILLION people living in the NYC metro area -- do you think they all share the same 'skewed' sense of what's important? And when you say 'skewed' -- well in relation to what? Your views? So that makes them wrong?

Let's face it -- there are people all over this great big ole country of ours who live above their means - they have big mortgage payments & credit card debt. Doesn't make them bad people -- maybe there are circumstances that led them to where they are -- job loss, a divorce, medical bills. They live in NY, and NoVa and Chicago and LA and -- wait let me say it - the greater Raleigh-Durham area.

I am often struck when reading posts here about how quickly everyone jumps on someone who dares say a negative word about the job market, schools etc. Yes, this is a nice place to live. And yes, it is a temperate climate. And, yes my gosh aren't my property taxes low. But there are tradeoffs to all that -- what seems to be out of control development with no impact fees required -- aren't all those new housing developments going to have lots of new kids who need to go to school? Target seems to be in a race with the drug chains to put a store within 2 miles of every person living in the triangle -- the area is turning into one big strip mall.

But I digress -- my main point is to stop stereotyping -- there are good and bad people everywhere

Old 10-28-2013, 07:07 PM

30 posts, read 33,480 times
Jersey919, I get what you are saying...but there are a lot of people who move away from big cities to places like Raleigh because they want to simplify and get away from strip malls and high taxes only to find that everyone is trying to do the same thing. So, what happens next is that stores like Target and drug chains take notice that the population is increasing and figure that they need to expand in those areas....SO, unfortunately, the very thing that people are trying to avoid and leave behind tends to follow the herd! You can't blame people for wanting to relocate to improve their quality of life and it's sad that the opposite seems to happen. Really smart cities plan for expansion and control it.
One thing I've always loved about New Orleans is that it has managed to stay unique. So many cities around the country look the same now.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 AM

33,336 posts, read 27,124,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGaL View Post
Jersey919, I get what you are saying...but there are a lot of people who move away from big cities to places like Raleigh because they want to simplify and get away from strip malls and high taxes only to find that everyone is trying to do the same thing. So, what happens next is that stores like Target and drug chains take notice that the population is increasing and figure that they need to expand in those areas....SO, unfortunately, the very thing that people are trying to avoid and leave behind tends to follow the herd! You can't blame people for wanting to relocate to improve their quality of life and it's sad that the opposite seems to happen. Really smart cities plan for expansion and control it.
One thing I've always loved about New Orleans is that it has managed to stay unique. So many cities around the country look the same now.
Which is frustrating to the people who already lived in the city/town that everyone is escaping to because they liked it without a Walgreens on every corner. They liked the trees and the mild traffic.

And, maybe some of those people come to dislike that wave of transplants. And maybe some just hate how their hometown got so crowded so fast and they don't hate the new people that move there, just the way things aren't always changing for the better.

This board makes me think about such things now and then.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 AM

2,802 posts, read 4,757,932 times
It's like I've always said..too many people have moved to the NC region. The problem is that the state has not kept up with the amount of transplants moving here regarding jobs...Really, its quite ridiculous here. I mean there is even competitition for retail jobs...Cmon now.... I have a cousin who just decided to expand her search to the Denver/Dallas area for jobs in her field. She came to the conclusion that she would probably be better off relocating...... Amazing! She has had several phone interviews and follow up- phone calls, which is more than she has had in NC.. yes she is hesitant about moving away from NC...but I told her..."What's worse?, Accepting a subpar quality of life or taking a risk to see if a move leads to a better quality of life."

Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 AM

117 posts, read 214,547 times
I'm looking for a new job myself. I've always worked in Durham or RTP. I was laid off from my last job at a company I worked at for six years. I was unemployed for five months, then took a job in Raleigh off Capital (currently held been working here for a year). When you are unemployed you will take anything to put money back in your wallet. It's a great job but I don't like the drive. Having worked in Durham most my life I miss it. I constantly search job boards in mobile/messaging/tech support but there are few. I thank God I do have a job as others aren't so blessed. However, the job market here is showing slim pickings.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:03 PM

350 posts, read 449,352 times
Default Related article (decline of middle class)

This article is related to the topic:

10 Reasons Texas Is America's Future | TIME.com

Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM

33,336 posts, read 27,124,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
This article is related to the topic:

10 Reasons Texas Is America's Future | TIME.com

The comments section of that article is gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary