U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,498,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I am surprised I had not joined in on this thread yet, as the "resident advisor for GLBT issues"

Yes, the Triangle is a great place to be Out, even if you're AA. Get on the mailing lists for the LGBT Center of Raleigh (they really serve the whole Triangle and are hoping to open a branch in Durham when they can find space), Triangle Black Pride, and Equality NC if you're politically-inclined. Durham county is literally the "Bluest" county in the state.

PM me for more info--I've lived here my whole life and been Out for over 30 years (I'm not AA, but I know the Community well).

Well, the most open one I'm aware of has retired from the state senate, Julia Boseman. There is at least one openly gay (and Black) state representative, though, Marcus Brandon. He is retiring after this term, though, to run for US Congress.

Unfortunately, the sharp Right turn of our legislature since the Tea Party won several seats has run out many of the more progressive members, who got tired of hitting their heads against a brick wall.
I'm referring to lower level civil service positions up to department heads as opposed to elected or appointed officials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:21 PM

241 posts, read 280,014 times
I lived in Raleigh and Durham for years as a young gay male. While I've never really been into "the scene" both areas are very accepting. All the colleges bring tons of crazy kids expressing themselves in their own way and it's easy to fit in somewhere. I too am considering coming back. I am torn between the triangle or Asheville. Now that I'm older, and partnered for 6 years I'm looking for something different. We want a country home. I really want a Christmas tree farm but need a primary income too. The triangle has a better economy and job market and I don't know what suburbs of Raleigh/Durham I could get 5 or more acres under 250k in an area that's not unwelcoming. I don't need or want to be surrounded by LGBT but don't want to feel "unwanted" anywhere either.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:01 PM

556 posts, read 718,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndsofchng06 View Post
I lived in Raleigh and Durham for years as a young gay male. While I've never really been into "the scene" both areas are very accepting. All the colleges bring tons of crazy kids expressing themselves in their own way and it's easy to fit in somewhere. I too am considering coming back. I am torn between the triangle or Asheville. Now that I'm older, and partnered for 6 years I'm looking for something different. We want a country home. I really want a Christmas tree farm but need a primary income too. The triangle has a better economy and job market and I don't know what suburbs of Raleigh/Durham I could get 5 or more acres under 250k in an area that's not unwelcoming. I don't need or want to be surrounded by LGBT but don't want to feel "unwanted" anywhere either.
Have you considered rural Orange County or Northeastern Chatham (near Chapel Hill or Durham)? Both are close enough to Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Durham to have access to a welcoming community. Northern Chatham county is quickly transitioning to a more liberal population as people who work in Orange and Durham Counties want more affordable land. Chatham County also has a pretty solid population of aging hippies, and many are ready to retire and give up their acreage, but don't want to sell it to developers. You could even try for Eastern Alamance County, along Hwy 54. That would give you very easy access to Carrboro.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:18 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,041,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndsofchng06 View Post
Have you checked out Pittsboro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary