U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 30,278 times

Advertisements

I've been considering a move to the triangle, and I am very curious about the gay community there. Is it very visible? is it growing?

Does the area attract a lot of twenty-something GLBT folk?

Is the gay community very transient (i.e., getting higher education then continuing on in a exodus out of town to a bigger more vibrant metro like Atlanta or DC)?

Last edited by shanto1991; 10-25-2013 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 10:55 AM

924 posts, read 1,740,504 times
Hello, shanto1991,

I'm surprised no one else has responded yet, so I'll jump in. I've been in the Triangle off-and-on for almost 14 years now, and I'm not gay myself, but I have and have had innumerable GLBT friends, acquaintances, neighbors, co-workers, etc. in my time here. They've mostly seemed to be very happy here, and I would say the Triangle is generally quite a gay-friendly place. Obviously, it's not Key West or Provincetown, and nor is the GLBT population nearly as large or as visible as in bigger cities elsewhere. But for a region of the Triangle's size and demographics, I think the gay community is quite healthy here. Certainly Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill/Carrboro each has a substantial and prominent GLBT presence, and even in the more suburban areas in between like Cary and Apex there are quite a few GLBT folks, albeit generally not quite as conspicuous. The GLBT population in this area does tend to be somewhat young and transient, just because the population in general here tends to be somewhat young and transient. I've definitely observed a tendency for the Triangle to attract a lot of young gay and lesbian people in their 20's from smaller, more rural and backward areas out in the country around here, and yes, historically a lot of them eventually later moved-on to bigger cities like DC, Atlanta, New York, Florida, etc. But I've also observed (strictly anecdotal—I have no data on this) an increasing tendency over the past ten years or so for those same twenty-something folks, gay and straight, to remain in the Triangle rather than moving on elsewhere, as the Triangle has grown bigger and more vibrant and more diverse. And I would expect that trend to continue, provided the local economy doesn't utterly crash at some point. So, overall, if you're a young GLBT person in your twenties, I think you could be very happy moving to the Triangle, and specifically probably to either Durham, Raleigh, or Chapel Hill/Carrboro, as long as the area suits you and meets your needs in other respects. Again, it may not be quite like going to a bigger city, but you'll certainly find an active and growing community, and the area has a lot going for it. And then if you decide at some point subsequently that you'd rather be in DC or Atlanta or somewhere, you could always do that at that point.

In any case, good luck!

Old 10-26-2013, 11:18 AM

109 posts, read 137,044 times
Heh ... you know, I'd almost say the opposite, Tompope. I was just thinking that most of the gay folk I know are settled and have kids and a mortgage. But then, most of the people I know fit in that category too. Other than that, I don't have a lot of pertinent info other than a suggestion to use the search function. I know I've seen similar threads in the past.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:48 AM

9,944 posts, read 10,229,360 times
I think the Triangle is pretty gay-friendly, but unfortunately the state as a whole is not. The state government is rather anti-GLBT, so you might want to do some research on that before you make a move. I have friends who are a longtime lesbian couple with two kids who just got married in Maryland because that is not happening in NC any time soon. See "Ammendment One" for more on that.

North Carolina Amendment 1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (check the map of vote results and note the blue in the Triangle and the overwhelming red in the rest of the state)

Amendment One, North Carolina Gay Marriage Ban, Passes Vote

I have quite a few lesbian friends in the area and I do think they like it here, but put up with a good deal of obstruction and intolerance at the state level. For whatever reason more of my gay male friends seem to live outside of NC, but I think that's just me. I think there is a strong gay community here, too. The mayor of Chapel Hill, Mark Kleinschmidt is openly gay. Many of the towns in the Triangle have inclusive domestic partnership ordinances and are very supportive of the GLBT community.

I can't speak to 20-somethings specifically because I am no longer in that age bracket, but I think there are a good number of 20-something GLBT folk. That age group in general is pretty transient, though.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:54 AM

924 posts, read 1,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeri View Post
Heh ... you know, I'd almost say the opposite, Tompope. I was just thinking that most of the gay folk I know are settled and have kids and a mortgage. But then, most of the people I know fit in that category too. Other than that, I don't have a lot of pertinent info other than a suggestion to use the search function. I know I've seen similar threads in the past.
For the record, I don't think that's really the opposite of what I said. I didn't say that there aren't also lots of more settled gay and lesbian people around the Triangle with kids and mortgages. I've met many of them throughout the region as well. But I was just talking more specifically about the younger, unmarried or uncoupled GLBT people in their 20s and 30s, both because those are the people I've had more firsthand experience with, and because that seemed to be primarily what the OP was asking about. But yes, much of the Triangle area as a whole is rather suburban and middle-class family-oriented, including a good chunk of the local gay and lesbian population. But there are also plenty of other people closer to the OP's demo around as well.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:34 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,873,510 times
I'm 31 and I have GLBT (well really just GLB) friends both who are young and party, and older and settled. Not being gay myself, I don't know if there's a big "scene" here, but they do the same things everyone else does. This state definitely gets a bad rap, and gay marriage isn't going to be legal until a court steps in I'm sure, but the Triangle otherwise is about the same as when I lived in Massachusetts. I certainly think you'd be happy here, if other factors (weather, career, location, etc etc) also make sense for you!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,399 times
Hi I'm looking to move to Durham I'm African American and I'm gay and I want to know what are the best areas for me to live in I'm coming from the NY/NJ/PA area I know its not the same but is there a big community for me in Durham and sarrounding area

Old 01-29-2014, 12:21 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,344,275 times
The Triangle is very gay-friendly. The state government is not, but it's no worse than any other light-red state at the moment. I'm bi and I've been in a same-sex relationship for the past couple years. Never had problems.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,481,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
The Triangle is very gay-friendly. The state government is not, but it's no worse than any other light-red state at the moment. I'm bi and I've been in a same-sex relationship for the past couple years. Never had problems.
There are quite a few lesbians in NC government and many of them are open about their status.

Many gay men are members of my wife's doll club and are well received in this area. Durham and Chapel Hill are especially accepting.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:17 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times
I am surprised I had not joined in on this thread yet, as the "resident advisor for GLBT issues"

Yes, the Triangle is a great place to be Out, even if you're AA. Get on the mailing lists for the LGBT Center of Raleigh (they really serve the whole Triangle and are hoping to open a branch in Durham when they can find space), Triangle Black Pride, and Equality NC if you're politically-inclined. Durham county is literally the "Bluest" county in the state.

PM me for more info--I've lived here my whole life and been Out for over 30 years (I'm not AA, but I know the Community well).

Quote:
There are quite a few lesbians in NC government and many of them are open about their status.
Well, the most open one I'm aware of has retired from the state senate, Julia Boseman. There is at least one openly gay (and Black) state representative, though, Marcus Brandon. He is retiring after this term, though, to run for US Congress.

Unfortunately, the sharp Right turn of our legislature since the Tea Party won several seats has run out many of the more progressive members, who got tired of hitting their heads against a brick wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary