U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 06:20 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,468,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post

It's not just the one neighbor, it seems that most consider it a necessary labor saving device - wouldn't want to burn too many calories with winter approaching. Obviously I'm in the minority, but I just don't see the need.
I don't know. I used mine so that I would have time to stack about a chord of wood, after riding my bike for 2.5 hours. Of course I didn't want to wake the neighbors, so in the earlier AM, I walked to the grocery store, sure I could have driven, but it was such a nice morning, and another chance to get some exercise.

Personally, I'd rather burn my calories doing something I enjoy, rather than getting blisters on my hands.

I'm delightfully sore and wore out from a great weekend!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 06:23 AM

7,693 posts, read 10,062,057 times
And I have a pretty small lot and I actually rake my little bit of leaves. Just not enough yard to make the blower useful. Mainly I use the blower to blow the small stuff back on the lawn. I hate a dirty sidewalk!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,023,877 times
Most people seem to use under-powered blowers, which makes the job take much longer than needed. For big lots or acreage, where one has tons of leaves, I use a sidewalk cleaner such as Little Wonder. It makes a nearly impossible job possible, especially when the pile/line of leaves you are moving gets to be 2 or 3 ft high. It moves along on its own power on wheels so that even the ladies can use it without tiring.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 AM

30 posts, read 33,346 times
To the person who thought this subject was not worthy of a thread, consider this: If my car made as much noise as a leaf blower I would probably receive a ticket and be told to "fix it." And think about what would happen to me if I threw dirt on my neighbor's car. Well, I've had dirt blown all over my clean car from leaf blowers!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:38 AM

637 posts, read 851,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGaL View Post
I think that a few people on this forum have made some good points. I'm not against modern inventions but they should have made the noise blower quieter! I've had "crew" around here at 7:30 on Saturday blowing leaves around my neighbor's small yard--two men standing very close together at one time blowing the leaves around the same spot in the yard. Can you imagine the noise? I think it's a matter of common sense and courtesy. If you have 200 trees, I don't expect you to rake your own leaves. Your yard is probably beautiful! If you have a health problem, I don't expect you to risk your health either....but I think you made a good point about how we sit too much. They actually have done studies showing that sitting for too long can shorten your life. So, doing a little raking might not be a bad idea.

My main gripe is with the people with smaller lots and the fact that it's become so common. As for leaves being so horrible--yes, I agree that too many leaves cause mold and can clog drains. But, your lawn is not a carpet. Some people can't rest until NOT ONE LEAF is on their lawn. That isn't natural. It's not healthy for the eco-system. We actually need insects. (Not in my home, but I generously allow them to live outdoors. (LOL) They serve a purpose. Moderation in all things makes more sense.

Noise does cause stress and it can mess up your head. It can cause hearing loss, stress, and reduce concentration. Those aren't exactly good things.
If there were a way to live in a completely noise-free neighborhood, I'd be the first to sign up. The problem with that is that most people don't really mind noise, they only mind noise that doesn't suit their own needs. The guy next door with the leaf blower is evil, while it's okay for them to mow, their dog to bark or their kids to play screaming-demon in the yard.

If gas powered leaf blowers were banned, I'd probably just use an electric to keep leaves far enough from the house to not wick water toward the foundation. In doing so, I'd have to forego a level of erosion control that I have today, and would end up putting some of the leaves on the neighbors' yard which would make me a bigger jerk than using the more powerful gas powered leaf blower that lets me move the leaves to a much farther part of the yard.

Raking is simply not an option for me. There is really nothing about it that makes it a good exercise, it is an unnatural movement for the back, it does not elevate heart rate high enough to be good cardio in a healthy person (and an unhealthy person probably shouldn't do it at all), and while keeping the joints moving is generally better than not moving at all, yard work like raking motivates you to focus on "getting the job done" rather than focusing on your joints, moving them to optimal levels, then quitting when you've gotten adequate movement. That's why so many people over do it. Sitting too much, then raking is probably the worst of all worlds, because you've got the unhealthy combination of sitting for long periods of time then suddenly throwing your body into a movement it was not designed for, usually without adequate warm-up or stretching, with an end-goal that is not fitness but rather is to get rid of leaves.

I don't blame people for hating 2-cycle engines. I just think most are not looking around them at the sources of noise they generate, and asking themselves how they can get rid of THAT noise instead of worrying about choices someone else makes.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,273,597 times
I love my neighbors!

Old 10-28-2013, 07:15 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,826,852 times
Me thinks that some of you folks ought to adopt the Amish lifestyle. With a slant towards a hippie commune so that alcohol is allowed. Should be easy to do...Ice Ice baby is doing it now

Old 10-28-2013, 07:21 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,902,509 times
I, for one, welcome our new silent overlords!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 AM

7,693 posts, read 10,062,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGaL View Post
To the person who thought this subject was not worthy of a thread, consider this: If my car made as much noise as a leaf blower I would probably receive a ticket and be told to "fix it." And think about what would happen to me if I threw dirt on my neighbor's car. Well, I've had dirt blown all over my clean car from leaf blowers!

Well, inconsiderate people are inconsiderate. Its not just because they use a blower. You can stir up dust sweeping. Plus, I have had my neighbor's lawn guy not use a blower and his mower slung grass clippings all over my driveway.

A Leaf blower is just a tool. its how it is used that can make all the difference.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:41 AM

9,945 posts, read 10,229,360 times
I am really live and let live and I don't tell my leaf blowing neighbors off for using leaf blowers, nor do I harbor any ill will toward my neighbors or anyone on this thread, but I do think leaf blowers are absolutely horrible inventions. Chapel Hill almost banned them a few years ago and I was very much in favor of that.

Pros of Leaf Blowers
- easier
- quicker

Cons of Leaf Blowers
- pollutes way more than a Ford F-150
- noise

To me the cons clearly outweigh the pros and I'd rather use a little more effort and muscle power and take a little more time (a rake is more controllable, too, and doesn't blow debris all over the place), but obviously other people feel differently. (And FTR, I prefer my potatoes baked in the oven—takes about 1 hr—instead of the microwave, and I have a clothesline, too.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary