U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,453,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I am really live and let live and I don't tell my leaf blowing neighbors off for using leaf blowers, nor do I harbor any ill will toward my neighbors or anyone on this thread, but I do think leaf blowers are absolutely horrible inventions. Chapel Hill almost banned them a few years ago and I was very much in favor of that.

Pros of Leaf Blowers
- easier
- quicker

Cons of Leaf Blowers
- pollutes way more than a Ford F-150
- noise

To me the cons clearly outweigh the pros and I'd rather use a little more effort and muscle power and take a little more time (a rake is more controllable, too, and doesn't blow debris all over the place), but obviously other people feel differently. (And FTR, I prefer my potatoes baked in the oven—takes about 1 hr—instead of the microwave, and I have a clothesline, too.)
You keep ignoring the fact that electric leaf blowers are available and actually quite common. That's what most of my neighbors use. With that in mind the pros outweigh the cons (as you laid them out). I guess it is easy to suggest raking when you have a small yard, but as others have pointed out already that is not the case for everyone. Let's be honest, if Chapel Hill couldn't muster the support to ban leaf blowers nobody stands a chance.

I'm glad you have a clothesline and am overjoyed to hear you enjoy washing your clothes by hand using a tub and washboard.

#FirstWorldProblems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 AM

5,703 posts, read 8,323,561 times
I'm ok with the leaf blower. I have a car vac that's ridiculously loud (I rarely use it for that reason) - feel free to blow the leaves.

But please! Do something about these freaking two chihuahuas! I can't be in my yard without these things going insane!

Maybe I'll go out there and turn on a leaf blower to drown them out.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,278,451 times
just like the boob thread this will leaf us with a lot of unanswered questions . .

Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 AM

9,981 posts, read 10,291,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
You keep ignoring the fact that electric leaf blowers are available and actually quite common.
Nobody around me uses an electric leaf blower, so they aren't common in my neighborhood, but I'd still think it was less desirable, shall we say, than just raking . The power has to come from somewhere. I'd love to go completely off-grid myself, but alas, I have too many trees for solar , so I do what I can, and rake, or sweep, and run my car on biodiesel. I'd rather hear kids and dogs any day.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:10 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,939,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Me thinks that some of you folks ought to adopt the Amish lifestyle. With a slant towards a hippie commune so that alcohol is allowed. Should be easy to do...Ice Ice baby is doing it now
I've lived near Amish country in two different locations and even worked with a bunch of 'em in a furniture factory. Trust me, the Amish (or Amish men at least) do not shun alcohol. Or at the very least, there is no universal proscription against it though it could be that some sects shun it. In fact I knew of one Amish household that made and sold hard cider. And they didn't exactly ask you for your ID either, which was handy when I was 20.

Now back to our regularly scheduled "my neighbors suck but I'm a saint" thread...

Old 10-28-2013, 12:43 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,200,139 times
I for one am firmly opposed to this notion that this is the season to hate your neighbors.

I hate my neighbors year 'round.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,453,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I for one am firmly opposed to this notion that this is the season to hate your neighbors.

For the win!!

Old 10-28-2013, 12:54 PM

6,409 posts, read 4,495,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

---Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
---I for one am firmly opposed to this notion that this is the season to hate your neighbors.

---I hate my neighbors year 'round.

For the win!!
There is no place for someone from North Raleigh fraternizing with a Chapel Hill Transplant in a thread about hating your neighbors....

Last edited by Myghost; 10-28-2013 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 PM

958 posts, read 1,593,462 times
I use ear protection such as :
Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff - Amazon.com
when I use my 4 cycle leaf blower. You can get cheaper ones for around $20. I'd estimate I run it for about 4 hours total a year for leaf blowing, and about 2 minutes a week during grass cutting season to get my clipping off my street and driveway. So for $20 you can be in your own world for 4 hours it the noise bothers you that much.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:13 PM

4,188 posts, read 9,830,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post

I wouldn't go as far as saying I hate my neighbors year 'round.. but they do annoy me quite frequently!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary