Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:28 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I for one am firmly opposed to this notion that this is the season to hate your neighbors.

I hate my neighbors year 'round.
I agree, I, too, hate my neighbors. Maybe all of us nice people should move into a neighborhood together, and leave all of those nasty others to be amongst themselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 PM

219 posts, read 483,673 times
Totally agree with all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I am really live and let live and I don't tell my leaf blowing neighbors off for using leaf blowers, nor do I harbor any ill will toward my neighbors or anyone on this thread, but I do think leaf blowers are absolutely horrible inventions. Chapel Hill almost banned them a few years ago and I was very much in favor of that.

Pros of Leaf Blowers
- easier
- quicker

Cons of Leaf Blowers
- pollutes way more than a Ford F-150
- noise

To me the cons clearly outweigh the pros and I'd rather use a little more effort and muscle power and take a little more time (a rake is more controllable, too, and doesn't blow debris all over the place), but obviously other people feel differently. (And FTR, I prefer my potatoes baked in the oven—takes about 1 hr—instead of the microwave, and I have a clothesline, too.)

Old 10-28-2013, 01:14 PM

117 posts, read 246,744 times
Leaf Blowers are just that...let a nice gust come through and the leaves are back on your yard. I choose to mow my yard, nice clippings and great for the soil. I plan to mow again this Saturday.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:38 PM

430 posts, read 626,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraleigh View Post
Leaf Blowers are just that...let a nice gust come through and the leaves are back on your yard. I choose to mow my yard, nice clippings and great for the soil. I plan to mow again this Saturday.
That's what I do. I'm not sure I understand why people blow leaves at all. Everything I've read from the various ag schools says the best thing you can do for a healthy lawn is to use a mulching mower and leave your grass clippings and minced leaves on the lawn.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:26 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraleigh View Post
Leaf Blowers are just that...let a nice gust come through and the leaves are back on your yard.

Nah, they're pushers too. Some folks use them to gather the leaves in one spot for pick up. I like using the blower to get the leaves out of shrubs.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
There is no place for someone from North Raleigh fraternizing with a Chapel Hill Transplant in a thread about hating your neighbors....
Next thing you know, they'll start agreeing with someone from Cary and it'll be the C-D equivalent of "crossing the streams" ala Ghostbusters. Watch out!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM

397 posts, read 805,053 times
I think the difference between a leaf blower and a lawn mower is the whine of the engine when you gun the leaf blower.

The constanst hum of the lawn mower engine is not as annoying. It's not the loudness, but the pitch of the noise that grates on peoples nerves.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Nah, they're pushers too. Some folks use them to gather the leaves in one spot for pick up. I like using the blower to get the leaves out of shrubs.

Yep. I use the blower to get the leaves into bigger piles, and then use a tarp to drag the leaves to a burn pile, or take them down into the woods. I end up cleaning up my leaves at least 4 times in the fall. If I waited until December when they finally slow down dropping from the trees, it would take me several days to clean them up. I'd love to see some of you "raker only" types have at my yard! 200+ trees! I could clean my yard up this evening, and by this time tomorrow, you'd never know it.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:00 PM

449 posts, read 699,466 times
Smile Matter of fact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Y'know, you don't have to have lawns, either… just sayin'.
... it's because we don't have a lawn we were driven to get a blower. An electric one.

The twists and turns of the landscaping we did pretty much rules out a rake. That first year when we left the leaves, thinking they just break down and are good for the soil, well not so much. They just smother what's underneath.

We do try not to overdo it though. And compared to the neighbor's two chihuahuas, it's nothing, nothing, nothing

Old 10-28-2013, 05:01 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Geez......what a bunch of complainers. Just be thankful your neighbors are taking care of their yards unlike mine who's yards look like crap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary