Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times

Advertisements

Gourmet Kingdom in Carrboro is very authentic as well. Ask for the Chinese menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
There are a tonne of sit-down Chinese restaurants in the Triangle. Not all good, not all 'authentic' (whatever that means), but there are loads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catmom View Post
Is there a good one in the Triangle?
The OP asked if there were any good ones, not how many there are.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:21 AM

70 posts, read 129,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catmom View Post
Is there a good one in the Triangle?
I've been on a similar quest since I moved to Raleigh about six years ago and I cannot say that I've ever found what I considered "good." I'm not a Chinese food purist and I only judge the food based on freshness and quality of ingredients. I typically enjoy "Americanized" dishes, but I'm open to different things, too. Based on some recommendations, I have found Taste of China and King's Wok to be decent.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I don't think the average American would actually eat most authentic Chinese food in China.
They say "Black Dog tastes best". Having seen some of the food offered in China and Taiwan (chicken's feet, fish served still alive, 1000 year old eggs, snakes with heads just removed, etc), I think I will pass on some of the authentic stuff.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
They say "Black Dog tastes best". Having seen some of the food offered in China and Taiwan (chicken's feet, fish served still alive, 1000 year old eggs, snakes with heads just removed, etc), I think I will pass on some of the authentic stuff.
I don't get why people get grossed out by what food is called, or what it was before it was cooked.

Chicken Feet, Cow Tongue, Sushi, Snakes, or whatever.... Who cares, if it's good, it's good. My philosophy is that if people are eating it and treating it like a delicacy, I will:
1. Feel honored that they offered it to me.
2. Not worry about it, as long as the person offering is enthusastically enjoying it.
3. Try it just for the experience.
4. Not order it again if I don't like it (unless offered in somebody's house, or home country, where I'd eat it just to be polite).

I've also heard the place in Carborro is supposed to be really good, have not tried it yet.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I don't get why people get grossed out by what food is called, or what it was before it was cooked.
Some of the food in China is still moving when they serve it (and some you can pick from what's in the cages). And their sense of taste and smell is just different than ours. I found that when I walked into local /non-tourist restaurants in China the smell was overpowering and rather offensive. Some people can enjoy those delicacies - I'm not one of them.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:29 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Some of the food in China is still moving when they serve it (and some you can pick from what's in the cages). And their sense of taste and smell is just different than ours. I found that when I walked into local /non-tourist restaurants in China the smell was overpowering and rather offensive. Some people can enjoy those delicacies - I'm not one of them.
I get that. I've tried fermented bean paste, and "rotten" tofu, and have no desire to have it again.

But why is a chicken foot any more gross than a chicken breast? Or a cow tongue any worse than the tenderloin? As far as I'm concerned, parts is parts. (and the tongue is one of the best of them)

Old 10-29-2013, 12:38 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
I get that. I've tried fermented bean paste, and "rotten" tofu, and have no desire to have it again.

But why is a chicken foot any more gross than a chicken breast? Or a cow tongue any worse than the tenderloin? As far as I'm concerned, parts is parts. (and the tongue is one of the best of them)
I like to eat beef tongue burritos at a Mexican restaurant in Durham. They were out of it last Sunday.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:57 PM

22 posts, read 34,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Sadly it's true that Chinese do eat dog meat, but on the other hand, it's also true that the vast majority of Chinese never eat any dog meat.

What are authentic Chinese foods? China is a vast country in term of geology and even more so in term of population, and above all, Chinese do invest relatively a huge amount of energy in how to eat and eating.

Naturally, there are numerous cuisine styles and people's tastes do change, so do how foods are being prepared. People born and growing up in the triangle of Shanghai-Nanjing-Hangzhou likely have vast different preference of what deem to be best dishes from those in southwestern China, in which spicy Szechuan cuisine rules. Authentic? I'm not so sure what it really means.

In your examples, chicken's feet, 1000 year old eggs are daily foods.

Snakes? can't remember I've ever eaten any, and how anybody eats snakes with heads just removed? At least it should be cooked somehow. That sounds more likely a sort of urban legend some Chinese want you to believe.

Fish served still alive? Not really.

The best Chinese foods in my memory, were those made with the freshest, "commonest" ingredients, cooked with the simplest way. Oh, freshest doesn't mean "Whole Foods Market" or farmer's market fresh, those are at least several hours or more likely several days fresh. On the other hand, freshest doesn't mean fish eaten alive fresh or snake head just chopped fresh.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:05 PM

22 posts, read 34,482 times
Quote:

Chicken Feet, Cow Tongue, Sushi, Snakes, or whatever.... Who cares, if it's good, it's good. My philosophy is that if people are eating it and treating it like a delicacy, I will:
1. Feel honored that they offered it to me.
2. Not worry about it, as long as the person offering is enthusastically enjoying it.
3. Try it just for the experience.
4. Not order it again if I don't like it (unless offered in somebody's house, or home country, where I'd eat it just to be polite).

I've also heard the place in Carborro is supposed to be really good, have not tried it yet.
well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary