Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 01:08 PM

22 posts, read 34,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I found that when I walked into local /non-tourist restaurants in China the smell was overpowering and rather offensive.
^^
You went to the wrong place. Believe it or not, 99 out of 100 Chinese will dislike that too if "the smell was overpowering and rather offensive." BTW, "tourist restaurants" generally mean it's not that good, other than the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 02:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilian View Post
You went to the wrong place.
Perhaps - I went to the places our hosts took us.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:04 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
In your examples, chicken's feet, 1000 year old eggs are daily foods.
Yes, I was just saying I would pass on it. In Taipei, the employee cafeteria I ate in had the eggs on a daily basis, as well as a few things I wasn't quite sure what they were.
Quote:
Snakes? can't remember I've ever eaten any, and how anybody eats snakes with heads just removed? At least it should be cooked somehow. That sounds more likely a sort of urban legend some Chinese want you to believe.
The one I saw I think was more to drink the blood than eat the snake.
Quote:
Fish served still alive? Not really.
There are plenty of YouTube videos on this. They take a live fish and fry it, then bring it do the table. You can see the fish still barely moving.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Jeeze.Just wait until they discover NY Pizza....

Old 11-11-2013, 10:39 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
I took my kids out the 35 Chinese for lunch on Saturday. We ordered off the Chinese menu, specifically Kung Pao chicken, and beef and scallions. The beef and scallions was fantastic! Absolutely loved the sauce and its quality was far above any american-chinese that I've had. My daughter chose the Kung Pao and we asked for mild seasonings. It was too spicy for her but I enjoyed it. Customer base was almost all asian.
Overall: really enjoyed the food and the plates were out to us in less than 10 minutes. The staff took their time to answer all of our questions. Menu selection was HUGE! Only negative was that there was one waitress and it took too long for the billing portion. Waited for over 10 minutes with my credit card in the bill holder before taking it out and leaving cash. Kids can only sit for so long...

Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM

9 posts, read 15,643 times
Check out Captain J's on capital.

Yes it is a buffet but they have the sit down menu section with really authentic Chinese stuff.

Greg cox from the news and observer recently gave them a three star. So I guess that's pretty good.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 AM

358 posts, read 621,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catmom View Post
Is there a good one in the Triangle?
I think Spring Roll in North Hills is pretty good.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Taipei Cafe...specializes in Taiwanese, but the last I checked they were still a part of China. The chef specialties on the back of the menu are very authentic and delicious. I also like how it is full of Taiwanese/Chinese patrons, obviously they know something the rest of us don't know.

I also enjoy CT Wok, but boy do they make their food spicy...authentic to the style of cooking they offer though.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:26 AM

487 posts, read 891,030 times
Quote:
I also like how it is full of Taiwanese/Chinese patrons, obviously they know something the rest of us don't know.
Man I haven't read stuff white people like in years:

Quote:
Many white people will look into the window of an ethnic restaurant to see if there are other white people in there. It is determined to be an acceptable restaurant if the white people in there are accompanied by ethnic friends. But if there is a table occupied entirely by white people, it is deemed unacceptable.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Kind of related (kind of funny)

Chinese Students Hilariously Describe What They Think About Regional American Food

(and just to show that people are the same EVERYWHERE, look at the comment about Chicago style "pizza". LMAO)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary