Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:24 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times

Advertisements

They temporarily stopped using inmates to clean the highways after someone ran off the road and killed one of them a few years ago. I am not sure if they started back or not.

As far as bag color, they do prefer to use orange bags, because they are easier to see for the crews coming later to pick them up, but they use other colors also. Some of the highways are actually cleaned by private companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 10:49 AM

809 posts, read 2,188,075 times
I'm happy to report I saw inmates out cleaning the roads twice just last week. That green"ish" bus was sitting there full of inmates while the big orange signs were being put out. Both times were on US1 between Wake Forest and Youngsville.

(stock photo)

I don't know why I get such a feeling of satisfaction when I see that. It's especially exciting when I see the corrections officers standing guard with their shotguns.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:49 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,021 times
We have a section of road through Adoptahighway and they give you nice large orange ones but we've had to use our own when we've ran out so I'm guessing it's a cleanup crew too.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:30 PM

420 posts, read 452,037 times
Default Thank You

Thank you all for your responses. I feel better now since you all surely know more than me. I was just so appalled that someone might be dumping trash. I assumed the clean up crews always used orange bags and you know what they say about assumptions!

Old 10-30-2013, 03:50 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
I don't know why I get such a feeling of satisfaction when I see that. It's especially exciting when I see the corrections officers standing guard with their shotguns.
I always think of Cool Hand Luke. "I'm shaking it, boss"

Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post

I do too, if we pay to imprison them..they should be working..

Old 11-02-2013, 03:27 PM

191 posts, read 276,076 times
Sorry Kelly237, although I can't vouch for this particular case, I've lived in the N Raleigh for nearly 10 years and nearly DAILY I see garbage bags, mattresses, auto parts, etc. along side of highways and roads. I've never seen anything like this place... there's no question that a significant percentage of the population here believes it to be quite OK to just throw their trash out onto public/other private property!

Bunch of a$$-backward Neanderthalic cretins and TOTAL waste of homo sapien sapien cytoplasm! Only question is will I ever become jaded and detached enough to hope to see their body parts in the discarded heap LOL?

Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad99 View Post
I've lived in the N Raleigh for nearly 10 years and nearly DAILY I see garbage bags, mattresses, auto parts, etc. along side of highways and roads.
I live out off a county road in N Raleigh too and pick up a garbage bag full every week off our property road
frontage ...

Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 PM

420 posts, read 452,037 times
Default That was my thought too

[quote=Nomad99;32065042]Sorry Kelly237, although I can't vouch for this particular case, I've lived in the N Raleigh for nearly 10 years and nearly DAILY I see garbage bags, mattresses, auto parts, etc. along side of highways and roads. I've never seen anything like this place... there's no question that a significant percentage of the population here believes it to be quite OK to just throw their trash out onto public/other private property!

Nomad,

I was surprised to see your post because based on what others expressed, I figured my instincts were wrong.

When I first came down here, I too was seeing bags nearly every day and my instincts were that it was people tossing their household garbage. often times the bags were white, like the ones made for kitchen use.

I can't say that I haven't seen this before; I worked in the South Bronx many years.
Expect it there but not here. I am perplexed by anyone who thinks this is an okay thing to do

Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times
People who would throw out their household garbage, on the roadside, wouldn't bother to bag it up. The bags are from cleanup. I take part in a "Adopt-A-Highway" cleanup, they supply us with orange bags. But it's quite feasible that some might run out of bags. The road we clean is about 2 miles long. We walk it with two groups, one going each direction. It's a two lane country road near Cary/Apex. And it's amazing how many drink containers get thrown out every few months. Most of it is beer cans and bottles, the rest water and soda bottles, and a few fast food bags. I don't know how many cars travel this road every day. And I don't know if it's the local residents, or people using that road to commute, etc. But the amount of trash thrown out is perplexing. But I see it all the time. I really notice a lot of what I would call "work vehicles", vans and trucks, with ladders, mowers, etc, throwing garbage out. I see them do it while sitting at stoplights, right in town. I won't stereotype here, but I wouldn't pin trash throwing onto most of the Triangle's residents. I could type out a laundry list of the type of people who throw out trash on the road side. It only takes a handful to make it look trashy! And you can start by eliminating the panhandlers at the off ramps. They leave ridiculous amounts of trash behind! The ones I see regularly around here bring a bag full of food and drinks, and leave pretty much all of it behind when they go home in the evening. That, and about 50 cigarette butts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary