U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 03:55 PM

2,881 posts, read 3,190,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I agree and it's much better to learn the consequences of a "zero" in grade school than college & real life..
I wonder how many employers allow late work for partial credit..
I get the other side of the argument, but, to me, it just society trying to level an unlevel playing field.

Of course, there are circumstances where a teacher may give a student the opportunity to make up for the zero that they received, if the student shows the initiative. But, what message are we sending the kids who worked their butt off to get a 75?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 PM

3,861 posts, read 9,273,111 times
By replacing a zero with a 50, it gives those with "less than admirable" motivation levels a LOT more leeway to coast through, and theoretically put forth even less effort to pass a class.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,806,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
By replacing a zero with a 50, it gives those with "less than admirable" motivation levels a LOT more leeway to coast through, and theoretically put forth even less effort to pass a class.

Aren't those with "less than admirable" motivation levels just going to get 50's? I don't see how it changes anything for students who are unmotivated...a 50 is still failing.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:41 PM

527 posts, read 563,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
The common meaning of his specific use refers to 'weakening'.

pussification(noun): the state in which a society becomes less and less tough. This noun's originator is the famous comedian George Carlin.
I'm well-aware of what the OP intended to say, or the common meaning. The definition, however, doesn't make the reference any less offensive. Say whatever about society, but referring to children as future "p-ssies" because of this policy change really doesn't sell me on the OP's point whatsoever. That word is a reference to a body part, and I don't appreciate the comparison of a vagina to weakness. I'm a Masters-educated marathon runner, far from weak, both mentally and physically, and I don't think it does a whole lot for our children to be referred to as such.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:58 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,827,781 times
I'm not buying your point either, quite honestly. The term has nothing to do with a V-jay. You prefer to take it that way--your prerogative--but I take it as referencing society's attitude which is weakening the next generation.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:12 PM

31,593 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Sheesh. Whatever happened to "gay," "bad," and "sucks?"

Words and connotations evolve, I guess.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:19 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,634,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I'm not buying your point either, quite honestly. The term has nothing to do with a V-jay. You prefer to take it that way--your prerogative--but I take it as referencing society's attitude which is weakening the next generation.
I can't tell if you're being purposely obtuse or if you genuinely don't realize that George Carlin derived that term from the slang word for vagina.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 PM

33,055 posts, read 26,870,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Aren't those with "less than admirable" motivation levels just going to get 50's? I don't see how it changes anything for students who are unmotivated...a 50 is still failing.
Agreed. I mentioned that earlier. I don't get the difference, aside from helping kids who DO care so they don't fail or make a very low grade due to one or two missteps throughout the semester.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,841,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
My boys were the type in high school that would have calculated the cost of not turning something in...
They have both done fine in college but got away with the least amount of work in high school to get decent grades..
I was the same way in high school..Less consequences for missed work would have meant more missed work..

Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,806,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My boys were the type in high school that would have calculated the cost of not turning something in...
They have both done fine in college but got away with the least amount of work in high school to get decent grades..
I was the same way in high school..Less consequences for missed work would have meant more missed work..
Really, what you are describing is a behavior and not indicative of their understanding and comprehension of the material. Whether they get zeros or 50's still does nothing to change that behavior, and zeros may make it worse when they realize they can work as hard as they want but can't recover from a couple of uncomoleted assignments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary