U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 PM

78 posts, read 134,823 times

Advertisements

Amen - that is if I'm allowed to say that without offending anyone. I sure wouldn't want anyone to get their feelings hurt. Maybe instead of diplomas, schools should just hand out Care Bears and ask everyone how do they feel.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I weep for the future, if this type of thing is allowed to go forward--the societal equivalent of a "participation trophy".

Can you imagine the even-more-entitled-feeling the next generations may have? . . . and trying to employ/compensate them?

"well, you missed the deadline--by a lot--and what you did provide to our clients proved useless. So, I'm going to give you an average raise this period."

We need more: "First prize is the Cadillac, second prize is the steak knives. Wanna guess what third prize is?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 PM

33,123 posts, read 26,942,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin (MP) View Post
Amen - that is if I'm allowed to say that without offending anyone. I sure wouldn't want anyone to get their feelings hurt. Maybe instead of diplomas, schools should just hand out Care Bears and ask everyone how do they feel.....
Seriously?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,829,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin (MP) View Post
What does that have to do with anything? Lots of intelligent discourse here...

Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
What does that have to do with anything? Lots of intelligent discourse here...
Come now. You know there were no dropouts or problem kids before things got so touchy feely.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,829,467 times
cause we walked uphill both ways in the snow while our parents wept for our generation!

Last edited by lamishra; 10-31-2013 at 11:44 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
cause we walked up hill both ways in the snow while our parents wept for our generation!
Quite true.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:11 AM

7,696 posts, read 12,861,929 times
Quote:
Really, what you are describing is a behavior and not indicative of their understanding and comprehension of the material. Whether they get zeros or 50's still does nothing to change that behavior, and zeros may make it worse when they realize they can work as hard as they want but can't recover from a couple of uncomoleted assignments.
The zeros make them consider the costs and decide that they need to get things in on time..
Very smart but lazy students will often calculate the lowest grade they can make on an exam and still get
a B or C final grade...

Old 11-01-2013, 06:58 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,485,113 times
Quote:
cause we walked uphill both ways in the snow while our parents wept for our generation!
Not my parents!!! They didn't sit idly and weep, they faced the challenge and did what it took!!!

Dad was blowing leaves off the lawn with his two-cycle blower, while Mom walked uphill, through the snow to get our family some DECENT pizza! (Would've been a lot easier for poor old mom, but some idiotic neighbor hung their undies on a cloths-line and she couldn't even cut across their lawn.)

Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,906,668 times
Default And all of this. . . .

. . . while the neighbors' Chihuahuas were barking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Not my parents!!! They didn't sit idly and weep, they faced the challenge and did what it took!!!

Dad was blowing leaves off the lawn with his two-cycle blower, while Mom walked uphill, through the snow to get our family some DECENT pizza! (Would've been a lot easier for poor old mom, but some idiotic neighbor hung their undies on a cloths-line and she couldn't even cut across their lawn.)

Old 11-01-2013, 07:24 AM

527 posts, read 564,498 times
Oh no...

But for real, I think that you grumpy folks that think all of our kids are gonna run off and get soft now - this policy isn't so folks can abuse it. But it is to help out those kids who need a little more of that 1:1 attention. So instead of just doling out the 0s, the idea is that you catch a 0, or a late assignment, and try and figure out what's going on so that it's not continuously happening. Calm down. Your children will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary