Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 AM

11,188 posts, read 8,225,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think you need to visit downtown Raleigh (I assume from your post you haven't). It quite nice and a lot of fun.
Charlotte too. I prefer Raleigh to Charlotte (apples and oranges), but for a fairly big city, Charlotte has a really clean, safe and nice downtown area, and in the last few years has become fun to visit.

I've never felt unsafe in either city, day or night. Obviously, I go where there is something positive going on, which probably leads to a good experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,857,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
People like living in downtowns because they are vibrant, dynamic, diverse, dense, socially connected, and offer the ability to walk to various amenities, including shopping, theaters, bars, and coffee shops.
You mean it's not because of the height of the buildings??

Old 11-14-2013, 09:43 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,342,929 times
Although I am pro-Raleigh, I must give Charlotte props for wanting to be a smart growth, urban cosmopolitan city. We learned today that the City of Charlotte is trying again to get federal funds to fund the expansion of its Gold Line Steetcar Line in center city, although the feds rejected them earlier this year. The City is not taking no for an answer when it comes to public transit. That is the can-do spirit of Charlotte at work, and we are seeing the dividends all over that city.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,197,550 times
Quote:
Although I am pro-Raleigh, I must give Charlotte props for wanting to be a smart growth, urban cosmopolitan city. We learned today that the City of Charlotte is trying again to get federal funds to fund the expansion of its Gold Line Steetcar Line in center city, although the feds rejected them earlier this year. The City is not taking no for an answer when it comes to public transit. That is the can-do spirit of Charlotte at work, and we are seeing the dividends all over that city.
I applaud Charlotte for it's accomplishments but dismiss the suggestion that the "can-do" spirit is unique to Charlotte in some way. Both Raleigh and Charlotte are progressing quite nicely. They are at different stages of development for sure, but I don't think either has the market cornered on forward thinking and the "can-do" spirit. Both cities are worthy of praise for their ongoing efforts.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,197,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
You mean it's not because of the height of the buildings??
FTW!! - You have summed up the absurdity of this thread in one sentence. Well done!

Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,209,577 times
Quote:
Correct! Raleigh is just recently the last decade or so embracing growth. Just recently they had to scale back developments in Cameron Village because the were "too tall".Charlotte in the last two or three decades generally will approve whatever it is, bigger is better there and if the neighbors don't like it they can move. That said like others before me the industry here is different and the banks really did put Downtown Charlotte on the fast track. As far as public transit goes Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill and overgrow Cary need to get on the same page and work TOGETHER for their mass transit needs, which they have yet to do.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:16 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,952,970 times
To those complaining that the art museum isn't downtown--I completely agree. It should be. But that's out of Raleigh's hands. Being the capital is both a blessing and a curse. Remember that the state government is what allows Raleigh to have its great museums, and the state government doesn't always have the best interest of the city in mind. They're quite content to raze historic buildings downtown and move state employees away from downtown whenever it suits them. The art museum used to be located downtown, but it was moved to its current campus decades ago, and it's highly unlikely to ever move back. Though considering how terrible the new building looks, that might cause some discussion about moving downtown to occur in 15 years, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Correct! Raleigh is just recently the last decade or so embracing growth. Just recently they had to scale back developments in Cameron Village because the were "too tall".Charlotte in the last two or three decades generally will approve whatever it is, bigger is better there and if the neighbors don't like it they can move. That said like others before me the industry here is different and the banks really did put Downtown Charlotte on the fast track. As far as public transit goes Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill and overgrow Cary need to get on the same page and work TOGETHER for their mass transit needs, which they have yet to do.
Raleigh has embraced urban growth for quite some time. The 'small-town mindedness' is an issue with some of the businesses here, not with the government.

The height issues in Cameron Village are more related to fire codes, I think. You can't build a building taller than 5 floors out of wood, due to fire issues. Both the apartments going up are wood-framed. The height issues on Hillsborough Street were more a reaction to the developer shifting plans around in such a way as to screw the next-door neighborhood.

Back when the PNC tower was proposed, the city council went out of their way to try and get the developer to increase the height. They did the same when R&R proposed an 18 floor tower across from the Clarion, which may have been a bit optimistic as that tower went from 18 to 34 floors, then back to 23, before being canceled entirely. It looks like Reynolds will take another stab at it in the future, now that he just bought the block to the south of his last completed tower.

The support for mass transit in Raleigh itself is overwhelming. The support among Raleigh's local government is almost unanimous. Raleigh's problem, ultimately, is that it doesn't dominate Wake County the way Charlotte dominates Mecklenburg county. If it did it would already have trains. The teabaggers on the County Commission and the McCrory appointees on the TTA are conspiring to hold back the ocean, right now. By the way that was your mayor, Charlotte. Thanks a lot for that.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:47 AM

37,796 posts, read 41,518,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Tiger View Post
why do some people like downtown? Most downtowns in America are crowded, dirty, have more violence.
Sounds like your perception of downtowns never progressed past the 80's.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,020,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Raleigh's problem, ultimately, is that it doesn't dominate Wake County the way Charlotte dominates Mecklenburg county. If it did it would already have trains. The teabaggers on the County Commission and the McCrory appointees on the TTA are conspiring to hold back the ocean, right now. By the way that was your mayor, Charlotte. Thanks a lot for that.
Absolutely correct!
As for the governor, it's quite ironic to me that the man who lead the "can do" attitude that's being discussed on this thread is now leading the "won't do" state government.
Raleigh has always had to contend with the state government when planning its city but now it's exacerbated by its current format. In the end, I think Raleigh is doing quite well given the tension between the Democratic lead city government and the Republican lead county commission and (now) state government.

Sorry Vatnos, I can't give you a rep point....the system says I have to spread it around before giving one to you again.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,728,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Correct! Raleigh is just recently the last decade or so embracing growth.
You haven't lived here long, have you??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary