Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:49 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,936 times

Advertisements

I moved here from Miami and have family in Southern CA. Between the three options, I chose to move to NC for the relaxed lifestyle, education opportunities, outdoor activities and cost of living. There are plenty of decent non-chain restaurants, museums and activities. Both the beaches and mountains are within distance for a weekend trip.

It is an adjustment and certainly not the same lifestyle you may be used. It is relatively safe, has a good school system (elementary through college) and is affordable. Prices alone are not a reason to move, but if you have a secure job here and are willing to sacrifice a little on the restaurants and nightlife there are plenty of things to love here.

Since you mentioned Trader Joe’s, we do have one in Cary and others coming soon to Raleigh and Chapel Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,929 times
Default My 2 cents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
While I agree that there is more of the right-wing closed mindedness here then in some places...I really, really, really have problems with the rest of your post. It isn't the only way of viewing the world.

No, our kids will not "most likely grow up to assume this narrow mindedness" and if anything, I am more aware of the danger of that way of thinking since moving here then before, when I took that way of thinking for granted.

Reading about and hearing people doing and saying stupid things has been a great way to teach my child how important it is for people to maintain their freedoms, speak out against injustice and to treat people by their character, not their skin color, country of origin or religion.

I can't recall the last time I ate at a chain restaurant, have just signed up for yoga.....here in Wake Forest even...home of one of the worst right wing baptist seminaries in the country no less!! Whole Foods still is in Chapel Hill only...but they will expand in time.

Yes, one has to tolerate the people that hate and are self-righteous...but if you think that is all this state has to offer, you didn't even bother to find out how it is to truly live here....not just complain that everyone doesn't think exactly like you.

Your mention if NC being a confederate state...while true, shows you have no concept of NC's place in that debacle...not to mention it was over 140 years ago. Things do change.

Seems like you are the one that doesn't want to change your ways of wanting to feel 'superior'....NC is too easy a target for you to give up, thankfully the rest of us have moved on.
Reading your reply put a smile on my face. I am glad not everyone thinks the way that I think they think, but majority rules. You, personally, may be tolerant, but I know see at least 10 confederate flags a day. Whether on big pickup trucks or flying high in trailer parks. NC is more rural than urban - some of us have our safe havens in the relatively progressive, semi liberal city limits, but drive 45 minutes in ANY direction. Guess what?! No Whole Foods - only Piggly Wiggly's (most are low end, stinky grocery stores in the ghettoes) and conderate flags.

I didn't even begin to mention the HUGE gang problem. I guess that's everywhere though, even in Canada. Bottom line, NC is not all glitter and gold. Especially "from the bottom looking up." Anyone that is socially aware, and/or socioeconomically disadvantaged, will have to balance NC's trash as well as its treasures. Maybe my previous comment was a little harsh, but hearing all of these "from the top looking down" persectives drove me insane.
I simply had to put in my 2 cents. thanks for your reply

Old 12-09-2007, 09:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Here are some of my random comments in response to this thread. The enumeration is not intended to sound bossy. I apologize if it comes across that way. :-)

1. Whole Foods is NOT only in Chapel Hill. There's one in Raleigh, one in Durham and one in Chapel Hill. I am sure more are to come as the Triangle grows.
2. Despite what some think, the Triangle is not the "bastian of right wing close mindedness". While it's not California or New York, NC's politics are probably the most progressive in a region that spans from Virginia to Texas and Kentucky to Florida. Lest one forgets, the Governor and Lt. Governor of NC are both Democrats. Both the State House and State Senate are controlled by Democrats and Democrats have more NC Congressmen in D.C. than Republicans. On the other hand, both Senators from NC are Republicans.
3. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill all have Democrats as Mayors.
4. Hatred and self-righteousness are not monopolized by the U.S. South. You can find that in every city, in every state, in every country on every continent. We can only work to eradicate it.
5.While I personally consider myself liberal and love to debate my views in a civil manner, I am very confident when I say that self righteousness is not manipulated by conservatives alone. That attitude can come from anyone.

Peace

Old 12-09-2007, 10:57 PM

94 posts, read 315,487 times
Giggle...

I enjoy being a fly on the wall when people get passionate about the things they believe in. It's exactly what we had hoped for in questioning a relocation...true grit truth about peoples perspectives. Funny, because while certain characteristics define one state better than another, all can be found in most areas. Bottom line is how do you want to live your life and are there enough desired qualities in one location that you can draw from and embrace to be content.

In NC ... I think yes. The posts reflect colorful personalities, passionate people and an adventure worth giving a good shot! Hey it's supposed to be all in the journey right!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
keith, where exactly do you live that you see "confederate flags" all over the place AND a "HUGE gang problem"? The only "huge gang problem" I'm aware of is in certain bad parts of Durham (maybe Southeast Raleigh, but I never hear about them).

The RDU metro is the liberal spot of NC, no doubt about it. And even NC is much more "purple" than any other Southern states. The Republicans in Wake County tend to be "country club" Republicans, concerned about fiscal issues but more libertarain on social issues, and in the Triangle alone there are at least two BAPTIST churches that perform same-sex Unions! Hardly the Bible-thumping area you are claiming.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:14 PM

31 posts, read 90,574 times
Moved from so cal to NC. No kids. Can move between both homes. So it is great for us. But we are fortunate (except for not having kids). NC is filled with gracious, lovely people. Trees, beautiful environment. The house we have in NC has more land, cost 211k, vs so cal house, okay more house there, less land, valued at 750k. That is just nuts. RE is just crazy in so cal. SB county is....untouchable except for the rich now. It is unrealistic and we are glad to be inching away from it (coastal inflation). Good luck.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:04 AM

607 posts, read 2,431,142 times
My family and I moved to NC in June of this year. We lived in the San Diego area. The only thing I miss in CA, is my son. I loved CA, I lived there my entire life. It just got to be kind of a stay at home kind of place. If we wanted to go to the beach, we had to time it perfectly so we were not in hours of traffic, and that we could find parking spaces, so that meant in the evening. If we wanted to go to the mountains for snow, we had to spend hours going up the mountain, because everyone else had the same idea. So we found ourselves not going out as much, just staying at home. No SEa World or the zoo, because of the congestion. I am not going to mention the price of housing, because honestly. I believe that everything else here in NC is more expensive then CA. The housing is great, much better value for your buck, but all other expenses have taken us by surprize.
After all that rambling. We love it here, love the area, love the people. We do much more than we ever did in CA, because we can just go, and not consider the logistics and the timing.
Oh, did I mention the fall?? Holy Moly, our first fall, and I practically ran off the road five times a day, looking at all the foliage. Beautiful.
Good luck on your decision. I hope this helps.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:16 PM

51 posts, read 287,856 times
Default maybe more location specific?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
please disregard that comment about people being homophobic - narrow minded, etc. You will not...I repeat..you will not meet more friendly and welcoming folks in your life.
People are diverse here, particularly in the RDU area, but get out of the triangle EVEN A LITTLE and racism is openly used without even thinking twice.

As far as teh "welcoming" part, i read a lot of people writing this before I moved here and I have not found it to be true AT ALL, not at local stores, not with neighbors, not at all. Maybe there are some parts of the RDU area I haven't found that have that, there must be considering how often people say it, but as i learned from my move here, buyer beware, not all information given out about this area is accurate unless there are specifics put in to qualify it.

I lived in Norcal (Santa Cruz), and can tell you that was the most friendly outgoing people you would ever want to meet or live around. people converse in line at the store, homeless people are in general treated kindly (i'm sure there are exceptions), if it weren't for the darned col and the lack of job opportunities in my field there, i'd go back in a second. not sure much about socal, it's a whole nother world down there, being able to pay your bills and have something left over is something we really enjoy here in rdu, but social services in general are so much worse here than in cali. in california you can go to any planned parenthood for free no questions asked and get help, treatment, prevention. they actually care about their people in california, don't expect to find that here in John Edwards pretend-democrat actually neo-conservative home state. GO RON PAUL!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
My family and I moved to NC in June of this year. We lived in the San Diego area. The only thing I miss in CA, is my son. I loved CA, I lived there my entire life. It just got to be kind of a stay at home kind of place. If we wanted to go to the beach, we had to time it perfectly so we were not in hours of traffic, and that we could find parking spaces, so that meant in the evening. If we wanted to go to the mountains for snow, we had to spend hours going up the mountain, because everyone else had the same idea. So we found ourselves not going out as much, just staying at home. No SEa World or the zoo, because of the congestion. I am not going to mention the price of housing, because honestly. I believe that everything else here in NC is more expensive then CA. The housing is great, much better value for your buck, but all other expenses have taken us by surprize.
After all that rambling. We love it here, love the area, love the people. We do much more than we ever did in CA, because we can just go, and not consider the logistics and the timing.
Oh, did I mention the fall?? Holy Moly, our first fall, and I practically ran off the road five times a day, looking at all the foliage. Beautiful.
Good luck on your decision. I hope this helps.
If you liked the Fall, just wait until Spring. Get some blinders so you don't crash your car. :-)

Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandjess View Post
People are diverse here, particularly in the RDU area, but get out of the triangle EVEN A LITTLE and racism is openly used without even thinking twice.

As far as teh "welcoming" part, i read a lot of people writing this before I moved here and I have not found it to be true AT ALL, not at local stores, not with neighbors, not at all. Maybe there are some parts of the RDU area I haven't found that have that, there must be considering how often people say it, but as i learned from my move here, buyer beware, not all information given out about this area is accurate unless there are specifics put in to qualify it.

I lived in Norcal (Santa Cruz), and can tell you that was the most friendly outgoing people you would ever want to meet or live around. people converse in line at the store, homeless people are in general treated kindly (i'm sure there are exceptions), if it weren't for the darned col and the lack of job opportunities in my field there, i'd go back in a second. not sure much about socal, it's a whole nother world down there, being able to pay your bills and have something left over is something we really enjoy here in rdu, but social services in general are so much worse here than in cali. in california you can go to any planned parenthood for free no questions asked and get help, treatment, prevention. they actually care about their people in california, don't expect to find that here in John Edwards pretend-democrat actually neo-conservative home state. GO RON PAUL!
I grew up in the Silicon Valley and agree that the people are generally more open minded. However, that does not mean that everyone is living in peace and harmony. As for Santa Cruz...it's easy to be laid back when you are stoned. Sorry...couldn't resist that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary