U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2007, 08:29 PM

19,249 posts, read 29,686,239 times
Heading to the mountains in the morning.

Asheville

Return Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 08:37 PM

306 posts, read 863,831 times
My husband and I are heading down to Southern Pines for lunch with family. Bringing one and a half 'pies' and a turkey. It is a short drive thankfully. One hour and fifteen minutes each way.

Hope everyone has a lovely time.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 PM

7,307 posts, read 14,069,675 times
We're here for Thanksgiving and we're hosting dinner for 15, desert for 20, I have to work Friday and then we're headed to Wrightsville Beach for the weekend to see the holiday flotilla and visit some family.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:40 PM

324 posts, read 868,665 times
Going down to Fayetteville Thanksgiving morning for a few days .

Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,724,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
We are and I love it! No long trek up to NJ for me this year. We have some relatives coming in from VA on Friday for a belated Turkey day so I have the whole day free tomorrow and am going to lay around all day and watch football . Tonight I'm watching the movie "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". I love watching that around Thanksgiving. Thrilled to not be stuck on the road right now. Last year this time I was stuck in bumper to bumper DC traffic!!

I am so happy we are staying in Raleigh for the Holidays this year!
Staying home....for the first time in years. We bought a Turducken at Harris Teeter (always wanted to try it, but didn't want to serve to guest so we had to wait until it was just the three of us!!) and keeping it low key otherwise.

I'll head to the dog park for a few hours....other then that....peace and quiet. Something to be very thankful for after this year for us!

Old 11-21-2007, 08:49 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,551,601 times
Staying for turkey day but heading to Charlotte to do some shopping on black Friday. Just for the heck of it! We were down to the Concord Mall off Route 85 Exit 49 over the summer and had a blast so figured why not fight the crowds on the busiest shopping day of the year. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Old 11-22-2007, 08:02 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,319,179 times
I'd like to hear how the turdunken turns out, if you don't mind sharing. I hear it's tasty, and makes a nice presentation, but like you, I'm a little hesitant to serve things like that to company coming for dinner -- unless they understand ahead of time that they will be part of a dining experiment.

And I had forgotten about the Holiday Flotilla down at the beaches -- what fun! I am envious. We used to keep a sailboat in Southport, and each Christmas, would participate in the flotillas -- hubby even took first place a time or two! I hope you enjoy the light show. It is beautiful.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:51 AM

3,021 posts, read 7,374,372 times
Yes, Des, please give us a full report n the Turduken. I've been thinking about trying it for a dinner party sometime.

I'm intrigued by the flotilla. My husband's side of the family is filled with people who love sailboats & sailing, so I imagine he'd be very interested.
Welcome to the North Carolina Holiday Flotilla

Old 11-22-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I'd like to hear how the turdunken turns out, if you don't mind sharing. I hear it's tasty, and makes a nice presentation, but like you, I'm a little hesitant to serve things like that to company coming for dinner -- unless they understand ahead of time that they will be part of a dining experiment.

And I had forgotten about the Holiday Flotilla down at the beaches -- what fun! I am envious. We used to keep a sailboat in Southport, and each Christmas, would participate in the flotillas -- hubby even took first place a time or two! I hope you enjoy the light show. It is beautiful.
I'll be sure to post an update! My husband is making his mother's apple pie now. The house smells wonderful! We plan on eating around 5 today...not too early, not too late.

Off the dog park now......puppy needs a holiday outing to!!

Old 11-22-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Yes, Des, please give us a full report n the Turduken. I've been thinking about trying it for a dinner party sometime.
Well, the Turducken was a success and deemed 'guest worthy'!! Taste was mild (duck was not overpowering) but unique. Lean, not greasy but not dry either.

Easy to prepare (thaw/roast) it presented well. (We bought the small one...it was all breast meat. The larger is deboned whole birds.)

One cravat, while the meat itself was mild, the outer skin was 'seasoned' in a Cajun manner. Great on the meat, but when I made the gravy (basic gravy thickened with a roux) the spices concentrated a bit. I didn't even think of this happening (but it seems obvious in retrospect!)

It was awesome tasting and everyone (hubby, 12 year old daughter, myself and even the dog who got a small portion put on his dry food) loved it. So good there is none left! However, if you have a family that dislikes any sort of spice, it might not go over well.

So...all in all...worth the money. It might not be something we do every year....but this will be added to our holiday rotation and something I would not think twice about serving to guests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary