U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 05:22 PM

4,597 posts, read 7,138,704 times
Sounds yummy. Glad you Guys were the guinea pigs, however. I think I'd like to try the turdunken -- thanks for the review, and for the head's up on the spices. I wonder if that is the only way you can get one?

Now, if I could find someone who has experience with cooking a Christmas goose?

We went to the Radisson for Thanksgiving dinner, and it was an A+. My husband and I thought the meal, and the service, was great. Plenty of choices, and all of the Thanksgiving fare -- well, no oyster dressing, but I have found it is something you either like or you don't.

Great choices, and delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 05:43 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,552,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Sounds yummy. Glad you Guys were the guinea pigs, however. I think I'd like to try the turdunken -- thanks for the review, and for the head's up on the spices. I wonder if that is the only way you can get one?

Now, if I could find someone who has experience with cooking a Christmas goose?

We went to the Radisson for Thanksgiving dinner, and it was an A+. My husband and I thought the meal, and the service, was great. Plenty of choices, and all of the Thanksgiving fare -- well, no oyster dressing, but I have found it is something you either like or you don't.

Great choices, and delicious.
I don't know...it is a Cajun food...so spices are a given...but if you assembled your own, you could spice it to what you wanted.

As I said, they were quite mild on the actual meat, it was only when I reduced the drippings for the gravy that they perked up a bit...they still were not even close to mouth burning hot...just a bit spicier then your normal gravy. (I deglazed with red wine (some pinot noir I had in the fridge....lol...drinking the last glass now!) and made the roux a khaki color. My daughter helped stir it....I told her I was going for a roux darker then her light khaki pants, but not as dark as her dark khakis. You have to go with description your audience can relate to!)

A goose is pretty easy to roast....much like any other poultry...but again, goose tends to be a bit oily compared to some other poultry. Always roast on a rack so it can drain and some folks like a more acid basting liquid for goose (and duck) compared to chicken and turkey, that can use a some added oils at times.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:42 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,138,704 times
Wonder how difficult it would be to assemble your own turdunken? I don't think it, the already assembled one, would be too spicy, even with the seasonings, but it is nice to know ahead-of-time, so you can plan the gravy, menu, etc. I am sure that was a bit of a surprise for you.

I miss having my daughter help in the kitchen like that. She didn't even make it home this Thanksgiving -- the college had some classes scheduled for today? and she had been asked to work at the little coffee shop this afternoon.

Sounds like you had a nice day, Desdemona. Thanks for the tips.

I think it'd be fun to do a Christmas goose, at least just once, although my husband has already said it's too greasy to suit him. Duck is too, but I've had some duck I found quite tasty and not too greasy, so maybe? I just recall Tiny Tim's excitement over the Christmas goose, and the expression, something along the lines of "bringing home the fatted goose?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary