Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:43 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
As far as men's clothing goes, what's available in Triangle malls is hideous. The buyers needs to stock more flat front pants and far better shoes for men. Rockports and dress shoes with square toes are yuk!, 10 years out of style.
Like some have mentioned, checking out stores outside of the malls might better suit you. But I do hear what you're saying.

However, to say that there is no shopping and that one needs to drive to Virginia to purchase clothings seems like ridiculous hyperbole. I get that high-end shopping might not be here as prevalent as other metro areas, but to make it sound as if it's podunk, one-stoplight townish seems odd.

I seem to recall a couple of years ago someone relocating from a larger metro area also saying the same thing about a realtor telling this which begs the question whether it's one particular real estate agent's perception or if there are multiple agents out there stating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 AM

487 posts, read 890,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
However, to say that there is no shopping and that one needs to drive to Virginia to purchase clothings seems like ridiculous hyperbole. I get that high-end shopping might not be here as prevalent as other metro areas, but to make it sound as if it's podunk, one-stoplight townish seems odd.
That's a bit of a false dilemma. It's not a one-stoplight podunk place. But the shopping tops-out at mid-market. Even the Nordstrom here (at Southpoint) is one of the lower-end Nordstroms I believe. High end department stores and especially designer boutiques are extremely thin on the ground here. I could see going to Northern Virginia (or maybe Charlotte) to do some major shopping, if I cared about that kind of thing.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:18 PM

804 posts, read 2,003,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
That's a bit of a false dilemma. It's not a one-stoplight podunk place. But the shopping tops-out at mid-market. Even the Nordstrom here (at Southpoint) is one of the lower-end Nordstroms I believe. High end department stores and especially designer boutiques are extremely thin on the ground here. I could see going to Northern Virginia (or maybe Charlotte) to do some major shopping, if I cared about that kind of thing.
But there was no mention of high-end shopping; there was mention of "shopping for clothing". I suppose we could assume (& I actually assumed that was the case based on what they said) but I'd prefer to at leaset set the record straight that it is not dire differences as seems to be indicated by (a) strange realtor(s) passing such information out.

For the record, I am by no means saying that the Triangle area is a mecca of high-end shopping but there is a decent amount of local boutiques & mid-end places that I'm uncomfortable with stating there is "no shopping".

Old 11-11-2013, 02:29 PM

487 posts, read 890,858 times
The original quote was "no real shopping". If I had a lot more money, I could see saying that about the Triangle.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:45 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,308,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Not that I've really seen or paid attention to, though again, I don't hang around the frat boy or even ex-frat boy scene. Perhaps it's time to enlarge your social group?
You're backpedaling, you said that sounded like the frat boy scene, so you must be familiar with it..

Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 PM

15 posts, read 32,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
Hi there.

I am a NY transplant (almost 2 years). understand what you are saying about what you love here...all the things I do. I actually know a transplanted older couple from LA who moved here in the 80s after their son was born to raise him in a place that was less superficial. They never looked back even though they loved the weather there in LA. They picked the Chapel Hill Area for the schools. Schools were not an issue for us since our daughter was on her way to college when we finally moved.

As for the shopping, I am sure the realtor was just trying to let you know that the shopping is much different than the major shopping centers found in the LA area. It's not like NY either. if you live to shop, you wouldn't move to the triangle area. Charlotte has triangle beat on that score and it's still nothing like the larger cities. However, like you, it makes no difference to me.

All the areas you mention are beautiful but different. Sounds like you are doing your research. Coming from one of the top school districts in the country in Westchester County, NY, I would have picked Chapel Hill schools had I needed them. They residents there sign up for the highest taxes for in good part for the schools.

Good luck to you and your family!
Tri-Love
I appreciate your feedback. I was expressing what a realtor we met with stated about the best shopping is not in North carolina. People are so snarky on this website…….It was a statement I was passing along for comment but WOW, there is no need for people to be nasty.
Thanks Again,

Old 11-23-2013, 02:28 PM

138 posts, read 256,688 times
Truthfully, I've encountered some snarks on this forum. It's the internet and it happens all the time. But for the most part people on here are helpful, and this thread is no exception. People made suggestions, both on schools AND shopping.

You are correct that part of why people are willing to pay a lot of money to live in San Marnio is access to top notch schools. Truthfully though, there are MANY wealthy people in San Marino who opt to send their kids to private schools which they feel are better (as reflected by test scores, extra curricular activities, and college admissions.) I agree San Marnio High school is a top notch public school, but I disagree that it's "THE BEST HIGH SCHOOL IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA"- but thats an entirely separate debate.

I agree some of the remarks on here may not have come across as particularly nice. But IMO the gist is that the Triangle Area IS DIFFERENT. Truthfully I almost didn't move here because of the wake county assignment issues. In the end though, I still think my kids will get a great education. If don't, there are other options (homeschool, private, etc). People are challenging you to figure out your families priorities.

Shopping here is not the same, nor is the culture- and THAT IS why we moved here. I love the changes. I have changed my shopping and my lifestyle to better reflect where we are now, and I wouldn't change a thing.

As I said in a previous post- it's a give and take. You may not get the "guaranteed" school you did in SoCal, but that doesn't lesson the value of the area. In other ways (community for one, values, cost of living, lack of traffic, beautiful environment, etc) you probably get way more. In my opinion the whole of an adolescent isn't the school they attend. Once your family looks at what priorities stand strong to you, the choice may be clear.

Needless to say this thread went way off it's original topic- but that doesn't mean there is not some valuable information- both in the form of nice comments and what some may take as snarky remarks.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiagroovygal View Post
Tri-Love
I appreciate your feedback. I was expressing what a realtor we met with stated about the best shopping is not in North carolina. People are so snarky on this website…….It was a statement I was passing along for comment but WOW, there is no need for people to be nasty.
Thanks Again,
I think what you are interpreting as snarkiness is a difference in communication style. East coasters, especially in Northeast (as I imagine many responding to this thread of NE transplants), are more apt to "tell it like it is" than in SoCal. It is also expected that people will be less sensitive to directness. If someone is planning on moving there, they should probably get used to this.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I think what you are interpreting as snarkiness is a difference in communication style. East coasters, especially in Northeast (as I imagine many responding to this thread of NE transplants), are more apt to "tell it like it is" than in SoCal. It is also expected that people will be less sensitive to directness. If someone is planning on moving there, they should probably get used to this.
Agreed. The East cost seems at bit more direct and blunt than the West.

We just spent a week and a half in San Jose. Been about 7 years since we were last out there. I forgot how polite people are. And laid back. I barely heard a horn honk.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Agreed. The East cost seems at bit more direct and blunt than the West.

We just spent a week and a half in San Jose. Been about 7 years since we were last out there. I forgot how polite people are. And laid back. I barely heard a horn honk.
San Jose is NorCal, but yes there is a lesser degree of formality and urgency out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary