Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,581 times

Advertisements

I used to work in IT, now supervise our IT department, along with two others. When I hire, I want a 4-year degree in just about any area (I have one sys admin with a degree in drama), plus experience and certifications in tech. Even for our entry-level positions I won't hire anyone without prior experience. Help Desk staff need to have prior customer service experience too, preferably tech, but I'll consider others. There's nothing worse than a tech who doesn't like interacting with people on the help desk. Some of my good entry level hires have been contract workers at Lenovo, university labs/help desk staffers while students. One of my big fails was a Best Buy/Geek Squad type, so I'm cautious about those, but wouldn't dismiss the resume altogether.

Schools and not-for-profits will often hire someone without much experience because they can't afford to compete salary wise. They know employees will be building skills with them, then leaving to increase their salaries. Someone with people skills and a strong work ethic can do well in those environments. I say strong work ethic because salaries in not for profits are low, but the employees are often very dedicated and work long hours to support their mission. They often expect the same out of everyone working there, even the IT staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 10:23 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopsailFan View Post
I used to work in IT, now supervise our IT department, along with two others. When I hire, I want a 4-year degree in just about any area (I have one sys admin with a degree in drama), plus experience and certifications in tech. Even for our entry-level positions I won't hire anyone without prior experience. Help Desk staff need to have prior customer service experience too, preferably tech, but I'll consider others. There's nothing worse than a tech who doesn't like interacting with people on the help desk. Some of my good entry level hires have been contract workers at Lenovo, university labs/help desk staffers while students. One of my big fails was a Best Buy/Geek Squad type, so I'm cautious about those, but wouldn't dismiss the resume altogether.

Schools and not-for-profits will often hire someone without much experience because they can't afford to compete salary wise. They know employees will be building skills with them, then leaving to increase their salaries. Someone with people skills and a strong work ethic can do well in those environments. I say strong work ethic because salaries in not for profits are low, but the employees are often very dedicated and work long hours to support their mission. They often expect the same out of everyone working there, even the IT staff.
The four year degree is often seen as a stamp that you not only have the intellectual capability needed for problem solving but the perseverance to stick to business long enough to actually graduate. Always a plus when you're looking for worker bees.

I am not surprised about the Best Buy/Geek Squad types. I had several encounters with various ones years ago and what not impressed by their snappy jargon.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopsailFan View Post

So, you'd ignore someone with a stellar resume and years of experience in higher-level IT with major (Fortune 500 and higher) corporations, who has recommendations from top execs with those companies because he/she didn't go to college?

But, you'd hire a theatre major? Interesting.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
So, you'd ignore someone with a stellar resume and years of experience in higher-level IT with major (Fortune 500 and higher) corporations, who has recommendations from top execs with those companies because he/she didn't go to college?
This person hasn't been applying positions where I work--we're small time. Which seemed relevant to the OP's question. Never seen a resume, stellar or not, from someone with "years of experience in higher-level IT" and "recommendations from top execs."

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
But, you'd hire a theatre major? Interesting.
Yep. 10 Ways Being a Theatre Major Prepared Me for Success | Wayfarer

Old 11-16-2013, 12:58 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
There are so many qualified candidates competing for jobs that it's very easy to just put the ones that don't meet the stated requirements (i.e. college degree) in the "no" pile. After working in accounting for 20+ years with a 2-year degree, I went back and finished my B.S. solely to be able to compete better.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:38 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
There are so many qualified candidates competing for jobs that it's very easy to just put the ones that don't meet the stated requirements (i.e. college degree) in the "no" pile. After working in accounting for 20+ years with a 2-year degree, I went back and finished my B.S. solely to be able to compete better.
You got it.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:39 PM

164 posts, read 287,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I am one of those people and I know plenty of them. They are the true IT people, the people that "learn" it in school exclusively, are the folks that really are quite lost when it comes to doing it for a living.
This, exactly.

My husband very well could have been one of your small time workers that someone passed by 9 years ago because he had no "college degree." (Although I believe he completed his CCNA in HS, ha!) Oh, oh, and no theater. Just smarts. He started at Verizon in help desk back in Tampa. Totem pole business, basically. Quickly(!) surpassed and then some co-workers who had the degrees. He went on to spend 7+ years in Seattle with one of the top Fortune 500 (think, probably for the company who writes the OS for the computer you are typing from) only to have multiple offers here in Raleigh within a week of moving here at his own will. Might I add, he worked elbow to elbow with co-workers who had master degree's in their respective field at all 3 companies (with the loans to prove it), but still failed to make their way up the ladder as a result. He is now working in architecture and barely 30. Where there is a will, there is a way. Networking makes a LARGE part of it. My husband was able to get folks into his last company that didn't have the stellar resume, but happened to know him, so he was able to get them out of the pool and onto the hiring leads desk the next AM.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernInSeattle View Post
This, exactly.

My husband very well could have been one of your small time workers that someone passed by 9 years ago because he had no "college degree." (Although I believe he completed his CCNA in HS, ha!) Oh, oh, and no theater. Just smarts. He started at Verizon in help desk back in Tampa. Totem pole business, basically. Quickly(!) surpassed and then some co-workers who had the degrees. He went on to spend 7+ years in Seattle with one of the top Fortune 500 (think, probably for the company who writes the OS for the computer you are typing from) only to have multiple offers here in Raleigh within a week of moving here at his own will. Might I add, he worked elbow to elbow with co-workers who had master degree's in their respective field at all 3 companies (with the loans to prove it), but still failed to make their way up the ladder as a result. He is now working in architecture and barely 30. Where there is a will, there is a way. Networking makes a LARGE part of it. My husband was able to get folks into his last company that didn't have the stellar resume, but happened to know him, so he was able to get them out of the pool and onto the hiring leads desk the next AM.
Are you married to my husband?

Old 11-16-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Mine decided to finish up his before he ever hits a brick wall. He hasn't yet, but you never know.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:44 PM

353 posts, read 458,147 times
Wake Tech has a great networking program. They train for the CCNA and CCNP in Route/Switch. From what I understand they are looking at adding an entry level Cisco VoIP class as well. I got an entry level job that pays pretty well as a result of attending Wake Tech and I haven't even graduated yet. It helps to know someone in the field who can get you a job, but you also need to be able to say you have at least some hands-on experience with equipment, how to configure and do basic troubleshooting, etc when you go to an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary