Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 01:22 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,009,330 times

Advertisements

We are looking at areas of the Triangle to relocate. We've seen Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, Carrboro, Pittsboro and Durham. None of them felt right.

We're coming down again next weekend to see Cary, Apex, Holly Springs and North Raleigh. We saw a tiny bit of Raleigh ages ago and I remember liking it, although we're not "city" people.

I just looked at North Raleigh this weekend and came across Falls River. I have to say, I got excited about this place.

I know some people aren't, but we're a fan of "planned" communities. We love places with sidewalks, green spaces, trails, pet friendly, and that have a community feel. We also worry about having to drive long ways on dark or busy roads as we age. We want a hospital close by, and a 24 hr vet close by. We also want a "safe" place.

Falls River seems to have it all - a grocery store, restaurants, a hardware store, a bank, a 24 hr urgent care center, parks, trails, sidewalks, movies and music in the parks, the farmers market, and a 24 hr vet is only 5 min away. Not only do the homes look great, but it "seems" to have what we have been searching for - minus the ocean - LOL.

Is this place as nice as it looks? What would we be missing out on as far as conveniences? Is it out in the "boonies"?

My husband will be retired, and I own an online natural pet products company, so commute is not an issue. No kids, just the dog. I can see us venturing into downtown Raleigh a bit, but not too often.

Moreso we'd be looking at going to different restaurants (than are in Falls River) in the area, catching a movie, browsing in a bookstore or two, and doing some kayaking. We're pretty much homebodies.

Curious, where is the best "big" hospital, as I think the urgent care center is walk-in only, if I read right - no beds (inpatient)?

Would love to hear pros/cons of Falls River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 01:24 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I am not familiar with it, but don't over think it!

When my sister moved here, she wanted us to move here too. She told me the name of the subdivision she had picked out for us. Guess where we moved when we came 2 years later? We didn't go crazy looking all over either. Luckily we love it!

Old 11-17-2013, 01:45 PM

LOL - too funny!

Hopefully we'll like it as much "in person" as we do online.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
I live right next to Falls River. It is a nice area and I know plenty of people who are very happy living there. Definitely not out inhale boonies. You have access to a lot of amenities along Falls of Neuse Road and Nearby Six Forks and Creedmoor Road. Nearby shopping includes Harris Teeter, Kroger, Food Lion, and Whole Foods. A movie theater is just up the road in Wakefield. Lafayette village is just down the road and is home to my favorite coffee shop Jubala Village Coffee. I work downtown and it takes me 20-25 minutes during typical rush hour times (take Litchford road). Easy access to I-540 makes getting over to 40 and traveling over to Durham and Chapel hill easy enough though be aware traffics is heavy and slower during rush hours and I wouldn't be a fan of commuting to RTP from there, though you said the is not a concern.

There are loads of local and chain restaurants in North Raleigh within easy access to Falls River. I can't help about hospitals but I recall one being just down the road at the intersection of Durant and Falls of Neuse.

One tip, I am not a fan of the homes located on Falls river avenue in falls river simply because traffic along that road is very heavy at times. I would very much prefer a home on a quieter side street within the planned community. Also, look into the pool as I do not believe it is included in your HOA dues. You may also want to look into nearby Bedford as it is right next to Falls River. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Wow - thanks! This is really, really helpful.

Was hoping there was a Harris Teeter and Whole Foods nearby. And a good coffee shop! Is there also a Trader Joes in the area?

Good to know about the drive time to downtown as well.

Thanks also for the tip about Falls River Ave, as the house I initially saw - and like alot - is on that road.

Thanks again - great info.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
The one thing you need to remember is that all interstates and most main roads have little or no lighting.

As your night vision declines, you will stay home nights since public transit is skimpy.

The poorly designed Interstates keep forcing you off if you try to stay right and drive slower.

Consider this if you decide to move here. The NC state and local tax revisions make this area not as inexpensive as before.

If we could afford to move back to an area with good transit, we'd consider it. My night vision has declined greatly but we live in an older part of North Raleigh that has better street lighting.

Good luck.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
You can't go wrong with Falls River or Bedford. They are the type of n'hoods that win awards for their planning and because so many folks want to live there.

In Falls River, you don't have to join the pool so the HOA dues are less. In Bedford, you automatically join the pool so your HOA dues are higher.

The old landfill is behind Falls River Ave. but it has now been turned in to a park.

Wake Medical Center is on the corner of Durant and Falls...less than a mile away but that would depend on where in the n'hood you are!

The neighborhoods across Durant Road are nice as well.

That is considered a very desirable North Raleigh area.

Vicki

Old 11-17-2013, 04:24 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Wow - thanks! This is really, really helpful.

Was hoping there was a Harris Teeter and Whole Foods nearby. And a good coffee shop! Is there also a Trader Joes in the area?

Good to know about the drive time to downtown as well.

Thanks also for the tip about Falls River Ave, as the house I initially saw - and like alot - is on that road.

Thanks again - great info.
We lived in Brookefield Apartments off Litchford Rd (about 5 minutes from Falls River) for about 5.5 years before we moved out to Durham, so we know the area pretty well. There's a 24-hr Harris-Teeter located at Falls and Durant. The closest Whole Foods is one exit away on I-540 off of Six Forks Rd. I can't think of any awesome independent coffee shops immediately in the area, but there is a Starbucks in the same shopping center where Harris-Teeter is. Trader Joe's is a little further away - it's about a 20 minute drive down Falls of Neuse to TJ's.

Drive time to downtown was about 20-25 minutes if you went down Litchford Rd. It'd be about 5-10 minutes longer if you took Durant down to Capital but that's mainly on account of the number of stoplights on Capital and the traffic volume.

As for "big" hospital, WakeMed is a few exits down I-540 on New Bern Ave. and they have a satellite hospital right near Falls River that I think is being expanded out. When I had calf surgery it was done at WakeMed's outpatient surgery center across from the New Bern campus and I had no real issues with my pre-surgical or post-surgical care.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Help me remember... Didn't you initially indicate that you didn't want a neighborhood that was predominantly families with young kids?

There are TONS of those in Falls River/Bedford.

Other than that, I think the area would meet all of the other requirements you've mentioned.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:45 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Falls sounds like it fits the bill unless as Meh stated, you may not want to be around young kids - but then this will be an issue with any planned community. I think North Raleigh has so much to offer, everything is pretty close and you are close to falls lake and I-540. You could always look at the older homes in that area or closer to North Hills if you don't want to be around kids. Another option is Cameron village, it is off Hillsborough St and is very walkable. Again, you certainly couldn't go wrong with Falls, I've had friends who have lived there and they loved it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary