Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 02:13 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,745 times

Advertisements

Do they even inspect 23 year old cars? Surely they won't put it on a lift and check CV boots. The most they will do is make sure your lights work, your tires aren't bald, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 02:53 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Do they even inspect 23 year old cars?
Yes. Vehicles 35 years old, or older, are exempt from the annual safety inspection. See: NCDOT: Vehicle Emissions & Safety Inspection
Quote:
Surely they won't put it on a lift and check CV boots.
Inspectors are required to lift the vehicle to examine the exhaust system.
Quote:
The most they will do is make sure your lights work, your tires aren't bald, etc.
If they follow the rules, they inspect much more than this. If the inspector sees anything which, in his/her opinion, compromises safe operation they may fail the inspection. You may appeal (and one one occasion I did) but this is a "gray area" where the DMV tends to side with the inspector.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:04 PM

21 posts, read 29,674 times
I passed the safety inspection today and the mechanic did in fact roll up under the car and look at the tire rod ends and cv axle. He even commented that they were the best axles he's ever seen and I said, "Well they are only about 12 hours old" lol

I was then told that more and more shops are coming under the microscope from the state and are being told to check cv axles and tire rod ends as part of the inspection

Old 11-23-2013, 06:01 PM

4,161 posts, read 4,876,880 times
I realize you're not a car guy, but FYI...it's tie rod ends, not tire rod ends. Either way I'm glad you found a solution to getting the car fixed and good luck with the job hunting.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:18 PM

21 posts, read 29,674 times
Thanks, Im sure courier and computer work will pick back up for me after the holidays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary