Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 02:35 PM

115 posts, read 381,080 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience with Abba First Mortgage from Wilmington? We were looking at rates online and it looks like they have some of the best listed. I wanted to see if any of you could recommend them (or any other mortgage companies).

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 05:23 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
I can recommend a long list of local people who live and work in the local community, and do a fine lending job.

Online mortgage brokers often just cannot deliver.
After being burned personally at the closing table a few years ago, and seeing it happen to other people, I avoid them and prefer to stick with someone in a local brick and mortar setting.

All that said, I never heard of Abba First, and can't say "Aye" or "Nay."

Old 11-23-2007, 06:29 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,502 times
"Brick and mortar" mortgage brokers can be bad too. The online guys don't have a monopoly on not being able to deliver. Almost all mortgage companies use online applications. Does that make them 'not able to deliver'?

I must say rates do look good at Abba. Lock in the rates and get a GFE based on the lock in rate so that you would know where you stand if you are comparing different quotes. If things change you can move to another broker. You should apply to at least two mortgage companies so that you can keep them honest.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:36 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
With all the lenders that are out there today, I'd be scared to death to trust an online lender.

The two times that I had clients use online lenders were both horrible. Both times we did not get to close on time. First time was two weeks late and the second time was 3 days late.

The problem is that they can promise you anything but if they don't deliver, what will you do? You can't go to their office to complain. You may not even be sure if they are legitimate. With all the issues the lending market is having these days, I'd stick with someone that I can trust.

Vicki

Old 11-23-2007, 08:30 PM

551 posts, read 1,874,654 times
I looked at their rates it is not better than I have from Wells Fargo.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:36 PM

115 posts, read 381,080 times
Thank you for the advice. We value your opinions.
If you were going to choose a local lender/broker for yourselves, who would you go with?
Thanks again!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:28 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
I have a few lenders that I work with so I know that their rates and their fees are customary.

If you are buying new construction, the builder typically ties all incentives and closing costs to you using their lender and their attorney. Not a problem, as long as you get a GFE and have someone who is experienced in looking at these to make sure you have no junk fees involved.

If you have a Realtor that you are working with, I would think that she/he has someone they can suggest.

Vicki

Old 11-23-2007, 10:24 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,502 times
Here is a link that provides you updated mortgage rates and brokers in your state.

HSH - Compare Mortgages, Refinancing Rates, Calculators, Home Loans

Old 11-24-2007, 07:45 AM

266 posts, read 590,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
Here is a link that provides you updated mortgage rates and brokers in your state.

HSH - Compare Mortgages, Refinancing Rates, Calculators, Home Loans
My own experience with a local bricks and mortar lender from my first house was a disaster, both in terms of purchase and refinance. The refi situation was a bank that was well known for being open on Sundays and having convenient hours. I think it's an exaggeration to be "scared to death" (and they say that I'm gloom and doom ) as Vicki mentioned to use an online lender.

What will matter in the end is the lender's ability to pass off the mortgage in the form of a securitized loan, period. How well they know your mom, sister, friends/relators in the community won't be terribly relevant. I would trust someone who's been in the business during the last housing corrections and survived, as they know what the deal is nowadays with tightening credit and will be sure that your loan goes through to closing. Anyone can pass a loan through when mortgages and real estate were a hot commodity.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:01 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
I have never heard of Abba unless you are speaking of the 1970's Swedish pop group. I would research them thoroughly just like you should any lender.

I do agree with some of the previous posters as I am not a big fan of online lenders. I have a couple of friends who got burned during their closing process by online lenders who dropped the ball. Deals can go bad whether you are using an online lender or not, but I prefer to have a lender in town who I can sit down with face to face to work out issues. I don't care if the in town lender knows me or my family. What I do care about is that he/she is accessible in person and not just by phone or email.

I'm sure many people have successfully secured loans online and I am equally sure brick and mortar places have fallen short in some cases. However, while I choose to buy books online using eBay and don't mind if the book doesn't get delivered in time from the anonymous online seller, I'm not willing to take the same risk when it comes to purchasing my home.

There is more accountability when you are dealing with somebody face to face IMO.

To each his own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary