Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:17 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
You may then have to deal with an a-hole lender that screws up your escrow, forgets to pay your taxes, and lets your insurance lapse.

It's nice to be able to choose a competent servicer and not get shuffled off to a firm that can't think their way out of a busted grocery sack like the infamous mega-banks.

So another newbie question. How do I ascertain that the lender will not sell of my loan to someone else in the future? Isn't that a possiblibity with any loan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 12:55 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
"Lender credits" have come around since the latest round of rules regarding fees and rates. It's just another piece of the expense pie.

I would not ever recommend dealing with an out-of-area lender for your purchase mortgage. NEVER. I just had a Buyer today who insisted on using someone they knew, and our Nov 1 closing occurred today. The last Buyer I had that insisted this, the same thing happened - we closed at least 10 days after the intended date.

As far as servicing your loan, other than internal Bank products that don't meet national underwriting guidelines and credit unions, 99% of them are sold off and serviced elsewhere. And there's no reason to try and get a mortgage that's not sold off.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:55 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
So another newbie question. How do I ascertain that the lender will not sell of my loan to someone else in the future? Isn't that a possiblibity with any loan?
My credit union keeps all loans in-house. Some banks keep jumbo loans in portfolio.

The only sure way would be your attorney adding a clause to the mortgage document allowing the homeowner to have refinance costs reimbursed when they move the loan after a trnsfer occurs to a servicer they find unacceptable.

Doubt if the original bank would allow it.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:48 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've never quite understood why people have such an issue with banks selling off loans. What difference does it make to me (the homeowner) who owns my note as long as I'm making the payments on time?
And if that gets me a better deal than the local credit union (which it always has), why would I go with the credit union?

Now, IF I didn't make the payments on time every month, then sure, I'd prefer to be with the credit union.

Just my two cents. . .
Selling off mortgages to mortgage servicing companies is what I'm told is the new norm for banks. We always paid ours on time & in full, but last year it got sold to a shoddy servicing company (who also buys mortgages from Wells Fargo, BOA, Chase & others) & they are all unregulated. There's even a page at the FTC dedicated educating consumers on how to know if they're being ripped off by one. As soon as we learned what tactics the company ours got sold to uses (intentionally holding mortgage payments past the due date to force foreclosure, then bundling loans & selling them off) we high tailed it to the credit union and refinanced. Unless one is going through this the average person does not know this is happening.

Bank Loan Castoffs Are Walter Investment's Jewels WAC NSM OCN - Investors.com

And all those foreclosed homes are being gobbled up, rented out & managed by shoddy companies, then bundled & sold off too:

Rental home rents bundled as securities by Blackstone - Orlando Sentinel

Between the two sounds like another housing crisis in the making.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
My credit union keeps all loans in-house. Some banks keep jumbo loans in portfolio.

The only sure way would be your attorney adding a clause to the mortgage document allowing the homeowner to have refinance costs reimbursed when they move the loan after a trnsfer occurs to a servicer they find unacceptable.

Doubt if the original bank would allow it.
no doubt about it - your chances are zero of succeeding at this tactic.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:01 AM

242 posts, read 594,131 times
I just closed on my home yesterday and had an AMAZING experience with Sebonic Financial!!

***** Great rate, very low closing costs, no stress, simple transaction *****
When I initially contacted Sebonic Financial, I was desperate. Rates were only a day away from a probable major change (high increase) and I had been working with a lender for about 2 mths who (in my gut) I just didn't trust. The rep I spoke with immediately made me feel comfortable. He wasn't a "fast talking salesman" and I felt absolutely no pressure or stress as I was speaking to him. After completing my application and submitting all the necessary documents, he locked my rate and the rest was smooth sailing. My next point of contact was wonderful and extremely responsive to my questions, emails, and phone calls. She made sure all of my documents were submitted to the underwriter in a timely manner. Finally, in under 30 days after my initial contact with them and a request for additional items from the underwriter (ugh, hate when this happens, but it's inevitable), I submitted everything that was requested and *over the Thanksgiving holiday*, they worked on my loan and told me I was ready to pick a closing date. I could not have asked for a smoother, stress-free process. From start to finish I was treated like my loan was their top priority and my loan closed in under 30 days! I HIGHLY recommend Sebonic Financial. They are an A+ company with exemplary professionalism!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary