Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 05:50 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,351,955 times

Advertisements

Either way, people tend to lose patience when traffic builds up. That is a shame, as just a bit of patience would lead to a much better flow of traffic and far fewer accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:01 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Since people cannot safely use texting, why not have the FCC ban providers from supporting text messages.

If you can't safely use it, you need to lose it.

We lived many years without the cell phone and just might want to roll things back.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:42 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,172 times
Teenagers everywhere will be crying and threatening to kill themselves. Won't happen, mom and dad will protest!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:05 AM

637 posts, read 1,057,438 times
A lot of important services these days depend on text alerts, messaging isn't just for teenagers. We'd need a way to block outbound (typed) messages from moving cars, involving GPS detection to know if the car is moving, etc. and event that doesn't identify the driver vs. passenger.

Anyway, if we don't get things back on the topic of 540 toll options we run the risk of the thread being locked, and I think that would be a shame as there have been some interesting ideas discussed here and there could be more.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Since people cannot safely use texting, why not have the FCC ban providers from supporting text messages.

If you can't safely use it, you need to lose it.

We lived many years without the cell phone and just might want to roll things back.

How about this? Since there are already laws against reckless driving, distracted driving, whatever, we can just use those laws when something comes up and bam we are done. If you cause a wreck and its due to your inattentiveness you get a ticket. There is really no need for a special case. People caused wrecks fiddling with the radio, looking for tapes or Cds, talking to other people, eating, etc etc well before cell phones existed. Even now, I have seen a guy shaving, a woman putting on makeup and a person reading papers they held with their hands on the wheel all in the last month or so on highways in the area so there are plenty of other things besides texting that is a the problem.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:04 AM

113 posts, read 180,850 times
If lanes are added, they should definitely be toll lanes and should be studied as to whether the lanes should be separated (2 reversible lanes) or not (1 in each direction with no barrier). The cost of separated lanes and dedicated exits at strategic points in my opinion would be worth the extra investment and (as someone mentioned earlier in the thread) should tie in to HOV/HOT lanes on I-40 or directly into RTP perhaps via the newest section of NC 147 / Triangle Expressway. Appropriate tie ins should be made for transit as well. Express buses shouldn't have to cross several lanes of traffic to get to the HOV/HOT lane.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
The New York Times reports that the Obama administration is proposing the lifting of the 1956 ban on tolls on existing Interstate highways.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/us...ate-tolls.html

Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 AM

715 posts, read 888,168 times
Good article thanks for sharing- but I hate it!!! I always joked with my friends and neighbors that we are becoming the next Jersey and that 540 Toll road proved my point.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:06 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I do believe my thread has been hijacked!
No, I believe your thread has been CARJACKED!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,705,470 times
Lots of pressure on Congress to assent to Obama's proposal. Every state DOT is probably lobbying for it, although the decision to apply tolls on a local basis will not be popular. Would certainly facilitate NCDOT improvements to I-95, a topic that's been kicked around for almost 15 years now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inters...North_Carolina has a good description of what NCDOT would do, if the money becomes available.

As for tolls on I-540, I believe it will happen whether Obama's proposal is adopted or not. The Feds will almost certainly approve it on an exceptional basis if tied to additional lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary