Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2006, 02:32 PM

33 posts, read 118,590 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 10 years old and will be currently in the fifth grade. She currently goes to a private school for learning disabled children. In her school, she currently has a teacher and 3 teacher aides with a maximum of 13children in the class. I'm trying to duplicate this program in NC. Does any one know of a school in the area that handles children with mild to moderate learning disabilities? It can either be a public or private school.

Thankss,
Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 03:15 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,012,171 times
The carolina parent magazine came out this month with its education directory (which I think you can access online) but a few of the places I know about are:

The hill Center (durham, nc), which is for kids k-12 with LD and or ADD, their website is hillcenter.org and it has a 4 to 1 student ratio, tuition is 14,500/year

Fletcher academy (raleigh, nc) thefletcheracademy.com, grades 1-12, tuition 13,350

Trilogy school (raleigh, nc) tuition varies, trilogyschool.com

Those are the ones I know about, and I am most familiar with the hill center, because I used to work at nc state in the office of disability services for students (I worked with college students with ld or add to ensure they were receiving their academic accommodations in the classroom).

Anyhow, check out the sites, let me know if you have more questions.
Leigh

Old 10-18-2006, 03:52 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,822,165 times
You won't get that kind of attention at the public school level. I agree with the PP that you should look in to private schools.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 AM

68 posts, read 293,576 times
I'm in the same boat because we are thinking of moving there also, but I heard because of the influx of children they reassign schools every so often because there isn't space for the children. I also found out alot of the schools are going to a year round schedule to accomodate these children. I also have a LD child and all these changes could be a bit much for him. I'm very confused. To answer you question, if you child has an IEP it's the law that NC schools will also provide the same services.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:18 AM

653 posts, read 2,981,901 times
Having taught here in Wake County as a regular ed teacher, I can vouch for the excellent support I received for my students with IEPs. I can't speak for the impact that reassignments would have on an LD student, but I know the support within the school would be there to make that transition as smooth as possible if it happened. If you'd like more info, I still volunteer regularly at my school as a tutor, I can ask around if you have specific questions. Just pm me or email me if you need more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary