Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 11:54 AM

187 posts, read 803,249 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm writing to find out where I can buy a xmas tree in the triangle area specifically Cary or Wake / Chatham Co. that I can replant into the ground to grow in our yard when the holidays are over. This is our first xmas in our new house & we want to plant the tree & see how it grows over the years our family is here. Any info is great! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 12:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Call around local nurseries or tree farms and see if they sale Christmas trees with the root ball still entact.

A good nursery will also point you in the direction of a healthy Christmas tree and will point out which evergreens do best in replant situations. Most nurseries will suggest a pine, spruce or fir, all hardy varieties of the evergreen.

Although you might want to save money, it really is better to spend a little extra money and get a healthy, sturdy tree with long branches and a large root ball so that you will have transplant success.
Another important piece of advice regarding the replanting of your Christmas tree is to give the tree a 3-4 day transitional period in between the outdoors and indoors. This goes for both bringing the Christmas tree home as well as returning it to the outdoors. Otherwise your tree may suffer from shock because of the drastic difference in temperature.
It is essential whether the tree is indoors or outdoors to keep it covered with more than the burlap sack for moisture and protection. You may want to try straw, a blanket, saw dust, or even old towels or newspaper. Of course while the tree is inside the home, the roots and the covering can be hidden by a beautiful decorative tree skirt.
Whether the tree is inside or out, it will need to be watered regularly to prevent it from drying up or dying. This will most likely mean placing the root ball inside a large tub or bucket so that the roots can suck up the necessary nutrients. Again, this might be a tricky task while the tree is inside the home.

Do not leave the tree in the home for any longer than two weeks

Once your secondary transition period of 3-4 days is over, it is time to plant the tree in the ground.

I personally do not think you will be able to successfully reuse the same Christmas Tree year after year due to the roots establishing themselves in the ground and digging them up will only weaken or kill the tree.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:09 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Harris-Teeter has some small trees in pots.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:50 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
I saw some small ones at the Farmers Market today. We weren't tree shopping so I wasn't really paying attention to everything they had. So I'm unsure if they had large ones. But if you are by that area they are open 7 days a week.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:30 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
I recall seeing two places last year, but for the life of me, cannot recall the names of the nursery or the tree farmer's stand -- lot of good that does, huh? The nursery is off Six Forks Road, headed towards Wake Forest, and the tree stand is over here on Hwy 55 and either High House Road or Morrisville Carpenter Road. I'll check when I am out both ways. I really liked the nursery because they had the most incredible selection of fresh greenery and holiday decorating items, as well as some unusual gifts.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 AM

187 posts, read 803,249 times
Default Where is the Farmers market with the Trees??

Thanks for all the info on replantable Xmas Trees!!! - Which farmers market & where is the farmers market people are referring too?? Also, I live near 55 & high house so thanks for the info on the tree nurseries in the area. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:13 AM

836 posts, read 3,468,894 times
The North Carolina State Farmer's Market, run by the State Dept. of Agriculture, right inside the beltline of Lake Wheeler Road.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:58 PM

583 posts, read 2,802,392 times
You can also find trees on the Goodness Grows in NC web-site

http://www.ncagr.com/markets/gginc/store/directory.asp

Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 PM

10 posts, read 37,627 times
Default xmas tree

There will be lots all over and many of them will be ones you can regrow. If you want more information than that, try the Chamber of Commerce ( Raleigh) that is. They should know. Like I said, there will be many lots with them since Raleigh is really big on recycling. Sadly there are still places in NC that do not insist on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary