U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-05-2013, 11:46 AM

13,822 posts, read 8,784,115 times
Default Our veterinarian retired and we need a new one (Cary)

All,

We just found out today that our veterinarian (Dr. Marvin McCann) is retiring. We don't like any of the other vets at Cary Veterinary, so we were hoping that some of you might share your experiences with veterinarians (and their staff) in the Cary area. Would consider Apex if it was very near the 27519 side of Cary. We are in 27513.

We have 3 cats. No dogs. Need vets that are good with cats and that take their time with a diagnosis and treatment.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2013, 11:52 AM

833 posts, read 728,820 times
Animal Hospital Of Peak Plaza- Veterinarian- Gene Bailey, DVM

This vet is great. He really cares about the animals and doesn't try to upsell all the time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 12:24 PM

567 posts, read 305,908 times
Dr. Maxine Gilvey and staff take good care of BeeKay.
Parkway Animal Hospital Cary, NC Home Page

Her home page offers this incentive for referrals:
Share the Care is our referral reward program
Refer a friend, neighbor, co-worker
Both of you get $25
credits for your next office visit

If you choose Parkway and name me as the referral source I will not put the money in my pocket.
I will donate it to the Wake County SPCA.

Last edited by danielbmartin; 12-05-2013 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Correct t7po

Old 12-05-2013, 12:47 PM

90 posts, read 96,710 times
Just switched from Mayfair in Cary to Tyson in South Durham (55 and TW Alexander, basically) and we are really happy. There are cats all over the office, so I am guessing she's very cat-friendly. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2013, 01:30 PM

100 posts, read 81,971 times
Pet Sound Animal Hospital - on Tryon Road --2 minutes from Wake Med Cary.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM

287 posts, read 244,615 times
I too live in the 27513 area.

I used Dr. Alley when she worked at Bowman Animal Hospital in N. Raleigh. She found her own place in Morrisville just east of i-540 on Hwy 54. My dogs passed away just before she moved, but I HIGHLY recommend her. She does both traditional (conventional medicine) and holistic care (herbs, acupuncture, energy channel, etc...). She's very flexible and has a great bedside manner. I never felt rushed with her. My dogs loved her. I really can't say enough about her. When I first moved here, even before I actually moved here, I needed to find someone who can treat a misdiagnosed skin condition by a vet in NY for my husky (the medicine was making my dog VERY sick). On the phone she gave me some food suggestions and instructed me to stop the meds right away, and then as soon as I got to NC, she'd see me. She started my husky on acupuncture (most conventional medicine continued to disappoint me with my two dogs). Let's put it this way, we'd go back for our appointments and every time, my dog would literally PULL me in to the office she loved her treatments by Dr. Alley that much. When we get another dog some day, I plan on going to her.

Dr. Bowman at Bowman Animal Hospital is also VERY good, but she has a hard time NOT doing holistic care, but she too will work with either type of health care. She is also the owner so she's a little more expensive, but she does great with difficult cases. Dr. Hunt is another person we've worked with. She's very nice, but I've only gone to her a couple of times. There are many doctors at the Bowman Animal Hospital in N. Raleigh, so getting an appointment there is easy.

So I'll post a link to the two places I recommend:

Dr. Alley in Morrisville - Shiloh Animal Hospital - Morrisville NC | Veterinarian
Dr. Bowman or Dr. Hunt - | 8308 Creedmoor Rd, Raleigh, NC

Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 PM

8,912 posts, read 10,002,578 times
There's a vet in the same shopping center as LaFarm - I think it's Noah's Ark. My friend takes her cat there and boards it there and she's one of those super-anal worrier types so I'd trust her recommendation if I had a cat.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:31 PM

3,273 posts, read 6,130,121 times
We've gone to Town and Country in Apex for over 5 years and have been extremely pleased (2 dogs and a cat).
Dr. Merriman and Dr. Groulx are our favorites!

http://www.tcanimalcare.com/

Old 12-05-2013, 04:45 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,190,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
We just found out today that our veterinarian (Dr. Marvin McCann) is retiring. We don't like any of the other vets at Cary Veterinary!
Dr. McCann has had a long career. We went there in ~1984 when it was just Drs. McCann and Barnhardt. We really liked Dr. Barnhardt and moved to another vet when he left.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:51 PM

13,822 posts, read 8,784,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Dr. McCann has had a long career. We went there in ~1984 when it was just Drs. McCann and Barnhardt. We really liked Dr. Barnhardt and moved to another vet when he left.
Yeah... he was probably very ready to retire. He was incredibly good with our eldest cat, though. I hope we can find someone as good with her as he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary